Port Vale Cup Tie

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
CTFC.Harry wrote:someone towards the back called a steward a "fat c**t" and was then removed which caused it to kick off.
So that expulsion was justified at least, then.
Ihearye
Just surprised we have yet to hear the old 'it's all part of the atmosphere' argument, ha
Robin
Credit where it is due they have helped to improve the atmosphere in the ground even if they did split the C&G vocal support.
horlickfanclub
The atmosphere was not good with them kicking off Robin. The family club image has gone.
Robin
Nobody is condoning any trouble Horlick, calm down.
Benctfc
Well done the club for allowing block 7 to stay open. I hope both parties learn from the incident the stewards need to stop gagging for trouble and use a bit more common sense at the same time some of the fans need to know when not to cross the line and lose their heads. I hope next game it goes back to being the success it's been throughout the season. As much as we want to be a family club we need fans generating atmosphere and they are just as important.
Shade
Port Vale fans are scummy. No shock there, they always have been.
I understand fans getting frustrated when we're 3-1 down and trying to play the same way we were that wasn't working half an hour earlier. I don't understand MD not trying to change the way we play when 3-1 down when it hasn't been working for the entirety of the second half. I can see why fans get so frustrated as we knock it back and forth around the defence, as it looks like there is no urgency or desire.
ctfc-fan
I thought it was a police lady not a steward getting involved with the lad.
paperboy
...the fans forum would have been quite lively if it was held this Thursday rather than last.

Praying that Port Vale don't get a plum draw this evening which would depress me even more.
I should be more sporting and wish them well whoever they get seeing that they won fair and square and have allowed us to concentrate on the league.
Ben3
Only Man City away. Nothing major
SHANDY VOR
SHANDY VOR wrote:I can understand the disappointment as you might well have had Man City at home in the next round.
:shock:
Nham68
Ben3 wrote:Only Man City away. Nothing major
The perfect Bullseye moment “ look what you would have won “..
Shade
Quite glad I won't see us get 9 or 10 put past us, tbh...

Wouldn't we have been a different ball number to Port Vale, anyway?
paperboy
Nham68 wrote:
Ben3 wrote:Only Man City away. Nothing major
The perfect Bullseye moment “ look what you would have won “..
Fair point- a speedboat wouldn't be much use to us.
Si Robin
Shade wrote:Quite glad I won't see us get 9 or 10 put past us, tbh...

No we wouldn't.

The draw numbers for the 3rd round at 1-44 Premier League and Championship in alphabetical order - 45-64 is the number the ties were drawn in round 2. So the winner of the first tie drawn in the 2nd round would be number 45, and so on.

From now on the numbers in ever round are from the number tie drawn in the previous round, so number 1 in the next round will be the winner of the first tie drawn tonight.
Hubert Parry
Shade wrote:Quite glad I won't see us get 9 or 10 put past us, tbh...

I wondered this but looking at the ball numbers, they didn't appear to be alphabetical. Nevermind, Manchester City away could have been quite demoralising.
Malabus
What a complete feck up.
Financially this club has majorly destroyed itself.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
This is why bottling a cup tie is so much worse than a league game. Yes we would almost certainly have lost but it would have been a great day out and the money would have been incredibly welcome.

Get the players in for double training sessions. The second half shambles has cost us big time.

£200k-£300k gate money Vale will probably pick up now?

If the players don’t get promotion done now this is going to feel like a sh!t season when we think what might have been.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 02 Dec 2019, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
Hubert Parry
You can't punish the players double just because some person picked a ball out of a hat. It's what it is. There is no point in crying about it. Port Vale won fair and square. Good luck to them.
Alf
Those players are going to be as sick as pigs. Regardless of what the score may have been against City it would one of the big games, no doubt live on tv, a few quid in the coffers etc; etc.
Be interesting to see what sort of a performance they give on Saturday. Michael will be earning his wages this week.
Artemis
No, same ball number. But we wouldn't have got City anyway. A different space time continuum would have formed if we'd have won. In the alternate universe in which Reid didn't get injured and we won, we've just drawn Tranmere. Away.
Ben3
Artemis wrote:No, same ball number. But we wouldn't have got City anyway. A different space time continuum would have formed if we'd have won. In the alternate universe in which Reid didn't get injured and we won, we've just drawn Tranmere. Away.
This ^^^^^^

The only thing in life that could have happened is what DID happen.

Examine the profundity of those words
Robin
I have to say Vale looked poor on Saturday too, the sort of side we would beat nine times out of ten; they barely had a kick in the first half. You'd have to think that it's serious money we've missed out on 48,000 people paying £30 would be £750,000 before police/stewarding costs are removed oh and not to mention the prestige of playing the champions in one of the best grounds in the country. No doubt we would have taken 5000 fans too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I have to say Vale looked poor on Saturday too, the sort of side we would beat nine times out of ten; they barely had a kick in the first half. You'd have to think that it's serious money we've missed out on 48,000 people paying £30 would be £750,000 before police/stewarding costs are removed oh and not to mention the prestige of playing the champions in one of the best grounds in the country. No doubt we would have taken 5000 fans too.
It is a financial disaster and a momentum shifter. This is why this forum was rightly so critical and angry with the second half performance when it happened. Obviously no one knew what the draw may be but the anger was that we simply were not in the draw to give ourselves a chance of a big tie.

You make your own luck and in this case we made our own bad luck. Winnable second round ties when you are leading at half time do not come along very often and when they do they are must win games.
Shade
FFS, belt up. You can't lose what you never had. We lost a game. It happens.

City had 52k when they beat Rotherham 7-0 in Rd 3 last season. Most tickets were priced between £10 and £25. We didn't get anything from that game either.
MittonRobin
Shade wrote:FFS, belt up. You can't lose what you never had. We lost a game. It happens.

City had 52k when they beat Rotherham 7-0 in Rd 3 last season. Most tickets were priced between £10 and £25. We didn't get anything from that game either.
Not the Point. Saturday was a disaster at the time and now the Final nail has been fired in to the Coffin. Simple! Not being Negative but there is absolutely nothing positive about the last 3 days. f#!$ Nightmare scenario.
Hubert Parry
Are we still crying over this? There is literally nothing to be done. Move on.
Del Boy
Getting knocked out by Maidstone was a nightmare scenario. Getting knocked out by Sutton United was a nightmare scenario. Starting the season hoping to escape relegation was nightmare scenario. Losing to Port Vale while fifth in the division is not a nightmare scenario.

Bury was a financial disaster. Not getting through to the next round of the cup is a missed opportunity but it isn't even a semblance of a disaster, financial or otherwise.

The club is in its strongest position since the days of Mark Yates. I'm enjoying it.
MittonRobin
Del Boy wrote:Getting knocked out by Maidstone was a nightmare scenario. Getting knocked out by Sutton United was a nightmare scenario. Starting the season hoping to escape relegation was nightmare scenario. Losing to Port Vale while fifth in the division is not a nightmare scenario.

Bury was a financial disaster. Not getting through to the next round of the cup is a missed opportunity but it isn't even a semblance of a disaster, financial or otherwise.

The club is in its strongest position since the days of Mark Yates. I'm enjoying it.
Good and great post
ctfc-fan
Considering how we started for the first 10-15 minutes, it was a p!## poor show from our players.
Ihearye
Shade wrote:FFS, belt up. You can't lose what you never had. We lost a game. It happens.

Hmmmm not so sure..... Jo Swinson says we get £50bn extra by staying in the EU, but nobody gave us that for the x amount of years we stayed in. We have lost what we never had :) :)
Fuller
Any money would have helped to keep all the current players at the club and also added a few quality additions.
Wouldn’t surprise me if Broomy moved on now.
Duffo will have to wheel and deal a bit now I expect.
Malabus
It's going to take a long time to get over what could have been.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
This isn’t a league game where you lose and move on to the next one to try and make up for it. This was the second round of the Cup where victory puts you in the hat and draw for a transformational opportunity.

And we did have that before losing it. We were on top and at half time we were in the hat and waiting our fate. It is quite a few years now since we have been in the third round draw.

Someone mentioned Sutton - look at the teams they went on to play that year.

Opportunities to get to the third round are sparse and fans are rightly disappointed when such an opportunity is blown as it was on the weekend. We may not have a winnable second round game for another 5-10 years now for all we know.
SHANDY VOR
I reckon the lost opportunity for you guys isn't simply the gate receipts, and not also just the lost TV money, but mostly the loss of profile and new fans that an away tie against Premiership Champions Manchester City would have brought. There will be many of your fans who first heard about the Robins and got the bug during some of your big matches in the past and just kept on coming. And this sort of profile is also good for all sorts of other reasons such as increased advertising revenue etc.

Before you lay into me for intruding on your misery let me tell you that we have a dreadful FA Cup history, with some killer moments just when we thought our turn may have come. Yet ironically there was a spell during the middle of this decade when we did a bit better and you were crashing out away against non league where we played more FA Cup 'Proper' games at Whaddon Road than you did.