Boots Corner to re-open to traffic

WARNING: This section may contain jokes or topics of an offensive nature.
Recommended for over 18's only. Send Admin a PM to request exclusion.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Hallelujah! Now the queuing times around the rest of Cheltenham will be down from 20 minutes to 10 minutes.
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... er-3664556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ihearye
Result great to see the giant egos taken down a peg or two
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hallelujah, good to know that all the families waiting to cross over one of the main pedestrian routes in town will see their exposure to air pollution go up as two lanes of traffic trundle by.

Great result that a time when more and more towns and cities are banning cars from town centres - which are places for people not traffic - and seeing the benefits to economic activity and air quality that Cheltenham think the way forward is to send a main traffic route through the heart of the town.

This decision will be on the wrong side of history.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Hallelujah, good to know that all the families waiting to cross over one of the main pedestrian routes in town will see their exposure to air pollution go up as two lanes of traffic trundle by.

Great result that a time when more and more towns and cities are banning cars from town centres - which are places for people not traffic - and seeing the benefits to economic activity and air quality that Cheltenham think the way forward is to send a main traffic route through the heart of the town.

What about the families living near the town centre that have since had to endure all the traffic that couldn’t go through the centre? The pollution may have dropped in the town centre but it’s certainly risen everywhere else.

Right idea maybe but Cheltenham isn’t laid out to provide decent alternative routes for traffic and is just stop start from traffic lights. Just look at the road from the bowling green to the old Matalan. Gridlocked all times of the day and because the council didn’t use their brains and have parking blocking most of the road and the lights are too quick to change meaning hardly any cars move.

Doing this was never going to suddenly make people jump on their bikes or on a bus and get out of their cars.
Ihearye
ctfc-fan wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Hallelujah, good to know that all the families waiting to cross over one of the main pedestrian routes in town will see their exposure to air pollution go up as two lanes of traffic trundle by.

What about the families living near the town centre that have since had to endure all the traffic that couldn’t go through the centre? The pollution may have dropped in the town centre but it’s certainly risen everywhere else.

Right idea maybe but Cheltenham isn’t laid out to provide decent alternative routes for traffic and is just stop start from traffic lights. Just look at the road from the bowling green to the old Matalan. Gridlocked all times of the day and because the council didn’t use their brains and have parking blocking most of the road and the lights are too quick to change meaning hardly any cars move.

Doing this was never going to suddenly make people jump on their bikes or on a bus and get out of their cars.
Indeed, that was the whole problem with this stupid move. It wasn't closed , so traffic , buses etc still flowed and it was not aprt of a plan as to how the cars that used the Boodts corner route, could cros town. There was no bam of cars and buses, just Joe public, who were then left to use rat runs. All of which then put congestion on school routes or past the hospital. More eco warriors without a notion as to how to help the public and the ' town centre experience'. If they actually took the trouble to measure pollution at Boots corner, before they closed it. So as to have someting to compare against. That may have been a start. Howevr, you will always get those with their one size fits all, answers
Shade
Note the person who doesn't live in or around Cheltenham is the one saying it's a bad move...
SHANDY VOR
There's only one winner in this debacle.

Boots.

Free advertising for years.
Shade
And me. And the environment. Took me 2 minutes to get through town yesterday rather than 15 minutes of queueing. I'd say that's a win for the environment, personally.
Ralph
It's reopened already? This will take a little getting used to
Shade
Yeah it's all open to normal traffic, but they haven't changed any signs or road markings yet, or removed the wooden structures in the road, so you're basically doing everything the signs tell you not to.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Yeah it's all open to normal traffic, but they haven't changed any signs or road markings yet, or removed the wooden structures in the road, so you're basically doing everything the signs tell you not to.
I hope they keep the wooden structures at least as things like that help slow down traffic.
Ihearye
Shade wrote:Yeah it's all open to normal traffic, but they haven't changed any signs or road markings yet, or removed the wooden structures in the road, so you're basically doing everything the signs tell you not to.
You couldn't make it up could you. Leave objects in the road, to cause what congestion they can. Resulting in more pollution. Way to go
Shade
I actually hope they leave it as a single lane to be honest, because you always used to get people switching lanes as they don't know where they should have been, or switching into another lane to blast past someone in a stupid place before the bus stops. Take the confusion out of it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Article on Birmingham’s plans and some learnings from cities elsewhere which have benefited from similar initiatives. The misconception of Toronto retailers a similar story to U.K. towns and cities in my experience of such surveys.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... -addiction" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ihearye
RCS – the gift that keeps on giving. From what I read in the media yesterday re Birmingham’s proposals. I did not read anywhere, that their plan was to close off the main routes through Birmingham. Without giving any thought as to how cars / drivers would then reach their destinations. From what I have read, they plan major roadworks and upgrades to the ring roads. Now where was that in Cheltenham’s plan ? They couldn’t even be bothered to put up diversion signs. The view was, drivers will work it out for themselves. Also they are hoping to make it easier for cars to access the City centre. Where was Cheltenham’s plan for that ? Probably racist.

Must remember to login in future to avoid the nescient ramblings of RCS. Don't have your own thoughts just cut and paste links to others.
Ihearye
Great quote for CBC
"We also acknowledge that some residents experienced increased traffic in their road. That was not our intention and we are sorry for any inconvenience caused."

Where exactly did they think the drivers were going to go once they couldn't use Boots corner? If those two sentences don't sum up, that there was totally no plan in place for their folly, then nothing does.
Ignoring the extremely poor grammar in their statement
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:RCS – the gift that keeps on giving. From what I read in the media yesterday re Birmingham’s proposals. I did not read anywhere, that their plan was to close off the main routes through Birmingham. Without giving any thought as to how cars / drivers would then reach their destinations. From what I have read, they plan major roadworks and upgrades to the ring roads. Now where was that in Cheltenham’s plan ? They couldn’t even be bothered to put up diversion signs. The view was, drivers will work it out for themselves. Also they are hoping to make it easier for cars to access the City centre. Where was Cheltenham’s plan for that ? Probably racist.

Must remember to login in future to avoid the nescient ramblings of RCS. Don't have your own thoughts just cut and paste links to others.
I do indeed have my own thoughts, evidence based. Some of that evidence is research I have worked on, and some of it others have worked on. If referring to the latter then naturally it makes sense to paste the source.

I can recommend you try reading research and evidence as well, especially on subjects you have no expertise in. We do a lot of work with national, regional and local government on all sorts of economic, mobility, climate and innovation at strategies, trials and test-beds. You may be normal enough in real life, but based on your writing style and ignorance on here you would definitely be laughed at as one the oddballs we see popping up on social media or events complaining about government projects (5G conspiracy nutjobs currently the worst) and we would advise you were ignored as one of the local cranks.

Please do put me back on ignore so I don’t have to see your thickshit replies!
Ihearye
“I can recommend you try reading research and evidence as well, especially on subjects you have no expertise in. We do a lot of work with national, regional and local government on all sorts of economic, mobility, climate and innovation at strategies, trials and test-beds.”

That explains a lot actually. It was probably similar ‘experts’ working with national, regional and local governments, that CBC took advice from, when they came up with their poorly thought out plan. Let’s be honest, any Business, including whatever one you are connected with. Is there to make a profit for themselves. Had enough experience form consulting companies during my life, to know they are only interested in one thing. Getting as much money out of their customers as possible. Anybody who could support the partial closing off, of Boots Corner without a plan as to where that traffic goes, must have questionable intelligence. Even more so with their self-proclamation of being an expert. However, have noted you were unable to expand on the logic of, supporting what Birmingham is proposing as a defence for supporting CBC decision. In case you didn’t spot it. The difference is, Birmingham have a holistic approach. Whereas CBC didn’t. Indeed, they had no approach. But that’s experts for you. I wonder how many experts Boris took advice from on his laughable garden bridge.

I take no exception by being call thicksh!t by you. Would be concerned if it was anyone with a modicum of original thought and didn’t rely on constant self praise. Self praise is no recommendation .
Dr S K Whitbourne would be impressed to hear from you as an example case.
She maintains there are several pointers, that indicate an insecure person attempting to look important. Many of which could have been written with specifically you in mind!
1.They relabel ordinary events with terms meant to impress
2. They pretend they are always in a rush / busy
3. They exaggerate their importance on social media
4. They behave as if they are the smartest person in the room

I blame the dumbing down of educational standards and making every college of knowledge a polytec and then a Uni
Shade
I'd like to point out there were hundreds of comments on the BBC News website under the article about Birmingham yesterday, with the vast majority saying it won't work as it doesn't have the public transport infrastructure that London has. One chap from Nottingham saying it will kill Birmingham off like it did with his town, which now has rows of empty shops on one of the previously busiest streets in the UK.
Ihearye
Shade wrote:I'd like to point out there were hundreds of comments on the BBC News website under the article about Birmingham yesterday, with the vast majority saying it won't work as it doesn't have the public transport infrastructure that London has. One chap from Nottingham saying it will kill Birmingham off like it did with his town, which now has rows of empty shops on one of the previously busiest streets in the UK.
Not experts, so can be ignored. Have to say, getting to the hospital is so much easier now that common sense has prevailed