New striker on a permanent contract agreed.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Guess who?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
asl
Julian Alsop?
kiaora84
Surely it’s Reilly
Robin
I'd be surprised if it's Reilly. I mentioned a few weeks back that we were chasing a permanent signing who Duff/Wilcox wanted to score the goals to get us promoted. I've not heard any names though.
kiaora84
Robin wrote:I'd be surprised if it's Reilly. I mentioned a few weeks back that we were chasing a permanent signing who Duff/Wilcox wanted to score the goals to get us promoted. I've not heard any names though.
I have a feeling we will just take him for the rest of his contract like we did with Barnett last year. Hopefully we can get a bit of a coup though
Benctfc
Wont be Reilly I can see him going back. Duff didn't want to play him a few weeks back hes only playing now due to having no one else. Palmer at Crawley would be my guess as its rumoured hes in talks with a L2 club and Duff has praised him in interviews after hes scored against us in recent games we've played against him.
horlickfanclub
Reilly has looked really off the mark recently. If that earns him a contract I will be amazed and disappointed. Back to Rovers A.S.A.P.
Robin
Benctfc wrote:Wont be Reilly I can see him going back. Duff didn't want to play him a few weeks back hes only playing now due to having no one else. Palmer at Crawley would be my guess as its rumoured hes in talks with a L2 club and Duff has praised him in interviews after hes scored against us in recent games we've played against him.
Palmer is an interesting shout, he's out of contract next summer down there and they have financial troubles too so likely they'd sell him for a smallish fee. If it's permanent either we are paying a fee (should not be a problem with money likely to come in for Bubbles and Broom, plus what we have in the bank from summer transfers) or it's a player who is out of contract next summer and a club is willing to release early to get them off the wage bill (someone in Scotland/League one maybe).
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:Reilly has looked really off the mark recently. If that earns him a contract I will be amazed and disappointed. Back to Rovers A.S.A.P.
I don't have any facts behind this but reading between the lines Reilly is likely to return to Scotland. He's done well here when partnered with Varney but without him has looked lost, so I'd only willingly sign him as cover. Also in the Jon Palmer article it suggests both Campbell and Lloyd are likely to go out on loan so I would assume we'd then keep Jonte until end of the season as cheap cover.
Ben3
As I wrote on another thread, we need a clear out. IF we gamble on both Reid and varney (not sure I’d do that, I may let Reid go as I’m not sure he’ll play much) then addai, smith and new player will be plenty. If they’re all fit then it’s a good set of strikers
Robin
Letting Reid go would be madness if Campbell, Lloyd and Reilly are leaving. Jonte is ok as fourth/fifth choice as presumably he's cheap but I wouldn't be surprised if we add a loanee striker on top of this marquee signing.
Malabus
I should have stated.... CLOSELY agreed.

Blame the champagne.

Source : JP Twitter.
Alf
asl wrote:Julian Alsop?
Andy Gray?
Nesty
Courtney Duffus - anyone who could score a hat trick against a GJ team must be good
horlickfanclub
Duffus is on a long contract at Yeovil. My money is on Billy Waters being brought back to take penalties.
Robin
If we wanted Waters we could have taken him in the summer, that would feel like a backwards step right now. Also he was on the bench for Northampton today.
Artemis
Surely it has to be a target man?
Robin
From what I heard it will be a goal scorer and long term replacement for Varney.
Ben3
Artemis wrote:Surely it has to be a target man?
As above!!!! It depends on whether he gambles on varney AND Reid. If they are both fit we need a poacher. If he gets rid of one then yes, a target man required.

Robin said above to get rid of Reid would be madness - to keep a player who plays three times a season may be equally described. I just hope the physios and duff can work him out