Cook leaves Gloucester manager role

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just reported by JP on Twitter, Cook, who pulled off the miracle of keeping City up last season after the Todd shambles, leaves his post at Gloucester.

Sounds an odd one to me given the form last season and early this, so it would be interesting to hear Shandy’s thoughts.
SHANDY VOR
All will be revealed on Gloucestershire Live tomorrow morning my twelve fingered friend. Mike Cook will be giving an interview which will be posted then. Dr Schadenfreude will be getting up at 6am to tune in. No doubt Herr Hoenig will correct me on my German spelling.
Red Duke
Reading JP's article, the most interesting is the quote from Mike Cook: "I don't suffer fools lightly"

It reminds me of Len Shackleton's autobiography from 1950's.

One chapter of that book is titled "The Average Director's Knowledge of Football". It consists of a single blank page.

Obviously some things never change.
paperboy
It'll be interesting to hear their chairmans views on the matter.
Generally the truth lies somewhere in between.
That said Mike Cook seems to have done an amazing job there and it is a fantastic opportunity for the next manager.
SHANDY VOR
Its a great shame. Mike Cook is an absolutely fantastic coach with great contacts and draws uncompromising respect from the playing community. Alex Petherham is a successful businessman with a vision for the club and the wearwithall to build us a stadium, injecting fresh impetus following years of excuse and misplaced blame.

Felt like a winning combination to me.

I wish the lottery would hurry up and sell me that winning ticket. If that skinny son of a toothpaste cap operative can win a chocolate factory then I can take City to the World Cup Final.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shandy, is there a view among the fans of the finances of the stadium deal?

Instinctively, a chairman of a club using a grant and club money to give a contract to his own company sounds like a can of worms.

I have no idea at all about the set-up, so interested to know what you know.

On the one end, he might be giving the stadium free of charge with not even a loan. On the other extreme he might have personally loaned the club money at a high interest rate and awarded Soldi the contract at an inflated and uncompetitive price.

I am sure it will be somewhere between those two extremes, but I hope in spirit and reality it is closer to the first.
paperboy
Not a great start under their new manager.
Lost at home in the FA Trophy against Bradford Park Avenue who are bottom of their league.

Still MD didn't start too well for us I guess.
longmover
Their new shirt is horrific, reminds of our horrendous red, black with white triangles effort from the late 90's
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:Their new shirt is horrific, reminds of our horrendous red, black with white triangles effort from the late 90's
It is also an almost identical rip-off of Roy of the Rovers’ Melchester Rovers kit.
SHANDY VOR
Minus anyone with the ability of Roy Race. I wonder what he's up to these days?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Well if the hapless Todd was Gloucester’s equivalent of Martin Allen, Rowe who has dismantled Cook’s hard work and taken the team to third bottom is the Gloucester version of our Paul Buckle.

They waited until actually in the relegation before sacking Todd. Will they learn from that and sack Rowe a bit sooner?
SHANDY VOR
Rowe Rowe Rowe's the bloke
Who merrily built our team
Verilly verilly verilly verilly
Our football is but a dream
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:Rowe Rowe Rowe's the bloke
More of a nightmare tonight.
Shade
6-1! It is not looking good, is it.
paperboy
Shade wrote:6-1! It is not looking good, is it.
There were some positives though according to the manager..

Like it was still single figures
Like they did score one goal
...and its end of the month so payday!
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
SHANDY VOR wrote:Rowe Rowe Rowe's the bloke
More of a nightmare tonight.
Yes, not good, but I'm hopeful that we will stay up and start the new season at the new ground, despite the naysayers.

For someone who claims to be so erudite you completely misunderstand the meaning of the ditty. 'But a dream' signifies it is anything than a dream, ie far removed from it. Let's hope you are more careful with your expensive consultancy reports or your company will be anything but repute.