THE FOOL ON THE HILL ?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ben3
Wait for it RCS! Cooper gonna go and also vince because of their awful, horrible business model
asl
"Nine men! They only need nine men...!"
Ben3
I bet they beat us on the 28th to keep their heads above water and stop us going up (growl)
Hubert Parry
The problem is, if you don't win friends when you are winning, you are certainly at risk of losing some if you are losing. Cooper has never come across well and it is hard to feel much sympathy for him. 1,400 home fans is appalling for this division. One feels that unless they are able to build their new stadium and boost their revenue in other ways, they will struggle to sustain themselves at this level.
Malabus
Ben3 wrote:I bet they beat us on the 28th to keep their heads above water and stop us going up (growl)
The pessimism on this site is upsetting to see at times.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Ralph
Roughly 1400 home fans again and 2 wins in the last 10 games
Chris FGR
Tbf 1400 home fans isn't that bad (for us) all things considered. 5 years ago we'd have been getting 8-900 with this kind of form/mood around the club and it being on a Tuesday night. 1400 would probably have been one of our highest turnouts of the season. Shows how our core support has gone up I suppose.

At least Trevor Kettle entertained everyone.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:Tbf 1400 home fans isn't that bad (for us) all things considered. 5 years ago we'd have been getting 8-900 with this kind of form/mood around the club and it being on a Tuesday night. 1400 would probably have been one of our highest turnouts of the season. Shows how our core support has gone up I suppose.

‘Isn’t that bad’.....keep deluding yourself with that. It is pathetic. It might be acceptable for a non-League side with no history but it is not for a league side who claim promotion to L1 will be easy and that the Championship can be reached in five years. An embarrassing night for you lot.
Horteng
As much as MC is a massive bellend I cannot believe he hasn't knocked one if not both of the Hunt duo out
Chris FGR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Chris FGR wrote:Tbf 1400 home fans isn't that bad (for us) all things considered. 5 years ago we'd have been getting 8-900 with this kind of form/mood around the club and it being on a Tuesday night. 1400 would probably have been one of our highest turnouts of the season. Shows how our core support has gone up I suppose.

‘Isn’t that bad’.....keep deluding yourself with that. It is pathetic. It might be acceptable for a non-League side with no history but it is not for a league side who claim promotion to L1 will be easy and that the Championship can be reached in five years. An embarrassing night for you lot.
No, the embarrassing part was the delusional claims about how easy getting into league 1 would be or aiming at the Championship. Those of us with a grasp of who we are and where we come from recognise that we are a very small club from a very small rural town. For 1400 home fans to be our worst crowd of the season shows we've made progress.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote:As much as MC is a massive bellend I cannot believe he hasn't knocked one if not both of the Hunt duo out
Bob Hunt provided masterful coverage of Glos’ promotion to County Championship Div 1 last summer. A Shire legend. Be fitting if it is Bob Hunt who ends up breaking the news that Cooper is gone.

Cooper gets an easy ride in the grand scheme. If he was performing and acting like he is at a bigger established League side the local press would be running campaigns for him to go, printing petitions and posters for fans to help with the campaign etc. At FGR he just gets a couple of awkward questions from the Hunts.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Chris FGR wrote:

No, the embarrassing part was the delusional claims about how easy getting into league 1 would be or aiming at the Championship. Those of us with a grasp of who we are and where we come from recognise that we are a very small club from a very small rural town. For 1400 home fans to be our worst crowd of the season shows we've made progress.
Then why do you put up with Vince and Cooper? If you have that recognition of what you used to be then why aren’t you campaigning to get the club back from Vince? You cannot accept/support DV and MC whilst claiming to grasp what FGR once was.

You can’t have it both ways.
Hubert Parry
Horteng wrote:As much as MC is a massive bellend I cannot believe he hasn't knocked one if not both of the Hunt duo out
Bob Hunt provided masterful coverage of Glos’ promotion to County Championship Div 1 last summer. A Shire legend. Be fitting if it is Bob Hunt who ends up breaking the news that Cooper is gone.

Cooper gets an easy ride in the grand scheme. If he was performing and acting like he is at a bigger established League side the local press would be running campaigns for him to go, printing petitions and posters for fans to help with the campaign etc. At FGR he just gets a couple of awkward questions from the Hunts.
He has built a career on the basis of being a "character" or cult hero. The radio is a medium where you need to be accurate and clear. This is particularly true for people who are impaired visually and are largely, if not wholly, reliant on commentary. Hunt is a poor commentator. He would be better off being a summariser.
Si Robin
The few times I've heard the FGR commentary I've always been amazed at how little research the Hunts seem to do on the opposition. They rarely seem to know how to pronounce any of the basic names (Peter Matthews has this issue as well btw, constantly referring to Courtney Senior as Senna when we play Colchester) and don't seem to know anything about the other club's form or recent history.

I get that they would show some bias to the club they represent, but the lack of insight makes them, and the club itself, seem so insular.
horlickfanclub
Decent commentary last night from Paul Furley on Radio Gloucestershire. The only downside were the texters . Too many interruptions to read out pointless waffle.
Chris FGR
Chris FGR wrote: No, the embarrassing part was the delusional claims about how easy getting into league 1 would be or aiming at the Championship. Those of us with a grasp of who we are and where we come from recognise that we are a very small club from a very small rural town. For 1400 home fans to be our worst crowd of the season shows we've made progress.
Then why do you put up with Vince and Cooper? If you have that recognition of what you used to be then why aren’t you campaigning to get the club back from Vince? You cannot accept/support DV and MC whilst claiming to grasp what FGR once was.

You can’t have it both ways.
I’ve never said I support either.

All I’ve done here is to put last nights attendance into some sort of perspective, given who we are and where we’ve come from, add in the toxic atmosphere atm and it isn’t that bad. It shows that our core support has gone up. The rest of the delusional stuff from Vince is irrelevant. Not long ago aiming at a 1500 average seemed pie in the sky. Now it’s our lowest crowd of the season.
King giraffe iii

The press people are too close to the club. They don't feel the need or are unwilling to be seen as rocking the boat. Speak to them in private and they tend to be much more critical.

Cooper gets much more than an easy ride by far too many people, not just the press. As someone pointed out on the FGR Chat group on Facebook last night, is it really MC that is the root of the problem? He'd be looking for a new job under any other regime.

Anyhow, my daughter got a couple of complimentary tickets from her school for the Colin Farmer on Saturday. Looks like I'll see you there!
Chris FGR
When you think of how long Vince stuck with Hockaday is it any surprise he’s sticking with Cooper?

In Cooper’s case he has at least delivered something during his time at the club, his main problem is his people skills. Our recent form is horrendous but our overall position is probably about right. This is a mid table squad at best. This season is a write-off. If Cooper goes it will be in the summer I reckon. Probably early enough to boost season ticket sales.
everyman
Chris FGR wrote:When you think of how long Vince stuck with Hockaday is it any surprise he’s sticking with Cooper?

In Cooper’s case he has at least delivered something during his time at the club, his main problem is his people skills. Our recent form is horrendous but our overall position is probably about right. This is a mid table squad at best. This season is a write-off. If Cooper goes it will be in the summer I reckon. Probably early enough to boost season ticket sales.
I`m so glad my club is run by a proper board of directors including a supporters rep.Rather than a dictator who is an arrogant bully who loves sycophancy !
paperboy
horlickfanclub wrote:Decent commentary last night from Paul Furley on Radio Gloucestershire. The only downside were the texters . Too many interruptions to read out pointless waffle.
Thanks for saying that!-I couldn't agree more; listening to multiple texts from the usual suspects adds nothing IMO
Shade
paperboy wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:Decent commentary last night from Paul Furley on Radio Gloucestershire. The only downside were the texters . Too many interruptions to read out pointless waffle.
Thanks for saying that!-I couldn't agree more; listening to multiple texts from the usual suspects adds nothing IMO
I watched on iFollow and had to turn the commentary off. Be nice if there was a "stadium noise only" option.

I disagree about Paul Furley's commentary. He is not a commentator. The man can barely string a coherent sentence together when sat in a studio with no distractions, let alone when he's watching what's going on on a pitch and describing it.
Ihearye
How are those grey stars working out ?
Nesty
paperboy wrote:
have to say that I enjoyed last nights commentary team, interrupts and all. I appreciate their efforts, log drive, cold windy night etc.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Haha this is the best of the jokes to come down the from the circus yet!

Cooper backs the one footed one paced Winchester for the Championship. The only thing Championship quality about Winchester was his signing on deal!

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/ ... inchester/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Winchester dropped to L2 because he couldn't hack it in L1 and at 26 now I don't think he'll be getting into the Championship. He's a good League 2 player on his day.
Ben3
When Winchester left us for them I went on record as saying no team relying on him would ever be promoted

He excels being the best player in a poor team (did exactly the same for us). Enjoying the social, good life with daws.

Wouldn't make our match day (18) squad currently
Ben3
This is a HUGE ruling for FGR. Will explain their appalling recruitment and dive down the table https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51510284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ctfc-fan
Wasn’t it Leicester that did the same thing the year they got promoted to the premier league? Inflating sponsorship deals through connected parties but nothing happened.
King giraffe iii
Ben3 wrote:This is a HUGE ruling for FGR. Will explain their appalling recruitment and dive down the table https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51510284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's nothing to do with it at all. ;) The current situation at FGR is down to a combination of Cooper's tactics, departure of Scott Lindsay as assistant manager, poor recruitment by the Director of Football and failure to sign something resembling a true number one goalkeeper.
paperboy
King giraffe iii wrote:
Ben3 wrote:This is a HUGE ruling for FGR. Will explain their appalling recruitment and dive down the table https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51510284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's nothing to do with it at all. ;) The current situation at FGR is down to a combination of Cooper's tactics, departure of Scott Lindsay as assistant manager, poor recruitment by the Director of Football and failure to sign something resembling a true number one goalkeeper.
...yes agree on the goalkeeper issue.

Is there another club that has had so many keepers in the last few seasons.
Most clubs have one or at the most, two keepers appearing per season; not at least three each season.
Chris FGR
We've fielded 10 different keepers in less then 3 seasons in league 2. Tbf none that weren't on loan have been that great, so I'd imagine we'll be bringing another couple in in the summer.
Ben3
Unbelievable - will the last person to leave please turn the lights out

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... n=sharebar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ihearye
Compare the treatment of Jonte and how these lads have been handled. If you ever needed an example of a contrast between two styles of management and basic decency. There you have it.
I don't think MD has put a foot wrong, or said a wrong word since his arrival. Shows players respect and they repay him by the bucket load. It's not a difficult concept to grasp
theidlerich
....don't forget we had a rather similar "manager" a few seasons ago! That didn't end well either; and that guy is occasionally seen as a 'pundit'. As Ben3 states - unbelieveable!
Chris FGR
Ben3 wrote:Unbelievable - will the last person to leave please turn the lights out

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... n=sharebar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Would you like any of them?

They're all free to a good home. :lol: