No relegation

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
I don't see it mentioned but the national league have voided their season which seems very premature and means Barrow miss out on promotion. Net effect it means Stevenage escape what looks like almost guaranteed relegation. When league two eventually restarts (this may play in our favour as teams will literally have nothing to play for outside of the top ten).
CTFCfan99
It's all the Leagues below NL North and South, not the NL: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052351" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Bonkers, why did they do it so early? Pretty clear the professional leagues are going to conclude especially now we are in lockdown we should be able to restart the season sooner rather than later.
Old Coventrian
Social distancing, lockdown and self- isolation will "flatten the curve", but will also push the peak to a later date, which if anything will delay any restart rather than ring it forward.
Si Robin
According to the new money man at Gloucester, there's an EGM on Friday to discuss what to do.

Easy to forget, the Football League is still one member short at the moment, so I wouldn't be surprised if they promoted the teams at the top of their divisions and voided the rest - with a points per game winning out between NLS and NLN.
Robin
Looks like Gloucester have been saved from relegation too because of this delay.
Robin
Old Coventrian wrote:Social distancing, lockdown and self- isolation will "flatten the curve", but will also push the peak to a later date, which if anything will delay any restart rather than ring it forward.
Not sure that's strictly true OC. From what I could gather and what I am hearing with my company the outcome of lock down could potentially eradicate the virus completely in some places and if effective we could see some lifting of social restrictions in the coming weeks in certain places where cases are close to zero whilst others remain in lockdown (London being a prime example). This could mean teams back training and games behind closed doors or even full crowds coming back in some locations (most likely without away fans). We may also see the prospects of some countries having zero cases whilst others are in full pandemic meaning comps like the champions league become almost impossible to complete.

Of course if the lockdown and start up are not effective or we allow migration from impacted countries then we could see another surge in cases which as you say could delay things further.
Old Coventrian
Lock-down only applies to the particularly vulnerable (eg those with pre-existing respiratory diseases), or those who have symptoms, and they are not allowed to leave their homes at all. My brother has asthma and emphysema and is in his first week of a 12 week lockdown since receiving his letter from the NHS.

The rest of us are not on lock-down

Basically the government has no idea how many cases of Covid19 there are because they are unable to provide enough tests for everybody who presents symptoms. Numbers of tests performed have barely increased over the last couple of weeks despite BoJos promises. There is also some question over the accuracy of the available tests. Suggesting we can "eradicate" this when we can't even know how widespread it is, is optimistic.

As for re-starting the league, I can't see that happening until all clubs in all areas are able to return.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Once you go below NL South/North I can’t see the point in carrying on.

At least this way the clubs, or businesses small as they are, can just go dormant and the usual merry-go-round of builders and PE teachers moving clubs can start whenever the next season starts. Neither do the promotion contenders have to worry about trying to prepare for the step up to the NL South/North during a period where they have no money coming in etc.

The quality of football, importance of the competition and the financial rewards are just too small to bother risking the existence of clubs by keeping them running during the uncertainty.

Most of the clubs have no or very few staff. Those that do can now furlough them and the staff get 80% of their wages without the clubs going bust. All the players have other jobs and they all move clubs all the time so minimal impact for them.

Good decision in my view.

As for Gloucester, their recent form has been pretty reasonable and they have pulled away from a hapless Bradford Park Ave and Blyth Spartans. Gloucester weren’t going to go down. Especially with the new restructuring and reorganisation which means only 3 go down in total from NL South/North.
Malabus
Think we may find out more about the professional leagues tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Robin
Old Coventrian wrote:Lock-down only applies to the particularly vulnerable (eg those with pre-existing respiratory diseases), or those who have symptoms, and they are not allowed to leave their homes at all. My brother has asthma and emphysema and is in his first week of a 12 week lockdown since receiving his letter from the NHS.

Basically the government has no idea how many cases of Covid19 there are because they are unable to provide enough tests for everybody who presents symptoms. Numbers of tests performed have barely increased over the last couple of weeks despite BoJos promises. There is also some question over the accuracy of the available tests. Suggesting we can "eradicate" this when we can't even know how widespread it is, is optimistic.

As for re-starting the league, I can't see that happening until all clubs in all areas are able to return.
The Prime minister put the whole country in a soft lockdown on Monday OC, all of us are not to leave our homes unless it's for essential work, food shopping or exercise (once per day). If people do not listen then we will be like Italy/Spain within a week where only emergency services staff go to work and those leaving houses need proof why they are doing so.

I agree the government has no idea, they've seemingly made a massive cock up of this whole situation but hopefully they can now bring it back under control and ramp up testing significantly as per World Health Organisation guidelines.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:
Old Coventrian wrote:Lock-down only applies to the particularly vulnerable (eg those with pre-existing respiratory diseases), or those who have symptoms, and they are not allowed to leave their homes at all. My brother has asthma and emphysema and is in his first week of a 12 week lockdown since receiving his letter from the NHS.

The Prime minister put the whole country in a soft lockdown on Monday OC, all of us are not to leave our homes unless it's for essential work, food shopping or exercise (once per day). If people do not listen then we will be like Italy/Spain within a week where only emergency services staff go to work and those leaving houses need proof why they are doing so.

I agree the government has no idea, they've seemingly made a massive cock up of this whole situation but hopefully they can now bring it back under control and ramp up testing significantly as per World Health Organisation guidelines.
What would your solution be then Robin? How would you balance teh economy? How would you source test kits and other equipment? How would you organise and enforce lockdown, when and for how long? What is your exit criteria. So as we all know how to avoid such a cock up. FYI as a comparison for your strategy. On the respective Day 20, Italy had 1015 deaths , UK 578, Spain 1772.
It is great how we now seem to have a land full of epidemiologists to call on. Am surprised HMG have not called you yet
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Is that Day 20 since first death?
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Is that Day 20 since first death?
it is
As it stood at COB yesterday
UK has 163 in a critical condition
Italy - 3612
Spain - 4165

Beggars belief how this is taking over the world
Robin
I am not an expert and don't pretend to be but as a general rule when you appear to be swimming against the tide of experts (as you are) and following an alternative belief more often than not you are wrong. By the way comparing UK vs Italy/Spain is not like for like, as amount of testing comes into play (for example Germany/Korea are testing way more than anyone) and predictions suggest we are on a worse course given we were slower to react.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:I am not an expert and don't pretend to be but as a general rule when you appear to be swimming against the tide of experts (as you are) and following an alternative belief more often than not you are wrong. By the way comparing UK vs Italy/Spain is not like for like, as amount of testing comes into play (for example Germany/Korea are testing way more than anyone) and predictions suggest we are on a worse course given we were slower to react.
Again, I bow to your better knowledge. I have no idea if testing a person gives them any better chance of living, once they get the virus. I suspect not. But who knows. I have no reason to think our medical experts and scientific experts, are worse than anywhere else in the world. E.g. UK closed schools earlier in the cycle than Italy.
It is just your continual harping on about how the UK has got it wrong. When in truth you and I have no idea who has got it wrong or right. It probably won't be until this comes back again, that we will know who called it right. For now, I am happy to let the experts do what they think is right to protect OUR NHS. Who knows, if they were dealing with another countries health service, they may have a different plan. They know what it's limits are. so instead of continually moaning, just let them do it and get behind them. You are like a broken record.
joes dad
Ihearye wrote:
Robin wrote:I am not an expert and don't pretend to be but as a general rule when you appear to be swimming against the tide of experts (as you are) and following an alternative belief more often than not you are wrong. By the way comparing UK vs Italy/Spain is not like for like, as amount of testing comes into play (for example Germany/Korea are testing way more than anyone) and predictions suggest we are on a worse course given we were slower to react.
Again, I bow to your better knowledge. I have no idea if testing a person gives them any better chance of living, once they get the virus. I suspect not. But who knows. I have no reason to think our medical experts and scientific experts, are worse than anywhere else in the world. E.g. UK closed schools earlier in the cycle than Italy.
It is just your continual harping on about how the UK has got it wrong. When in truth you and I have no idea who has got it wrong or right. It probably won't be until this comes back again, that we will know who called it right. For now, I am happy to let the experts do what they think is right to protect OUR NHS. Who knows, if they were dealing with another countries health service, they may have a different plan. They know what it's limits are. so instead of continually moaning, just let them do it and get behind them. You are like a broken record.

Absolutely spot on....
Robin
Ihearye wrote:
This will be my final response because I feel you are never going to listen to anyone else and then have the cheek to accuse others of being a broken record. All I say is I hope you are correct because if not then we are in a bad place.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:
Ihearye wrote:
This will be my final response because I feel you are never going to listen to anyone else and then have the cheek to accuse others of being a broken record. All I say is I hope you are correct because if not then we are in a bad place.
Robin, if you have any facts or anything to show how anyone has cocked it up, I would be more than happy to listen. the end
SHANDY VOR
Robin wrote:
Old Coventrian wrote:Social distancing, lockdown and self- isolation will "flatten the curve", but will also push the peak to a later date, which if anything will delay any restart rather than ring it forward.
Not sure that's strictly true OC. From what I could gather and what I am hearing with my company the outcome of lock down could potentially eradicate the virus completely in some places and if effective we could see some lifting of social restrictions in the coming weeks in certain places where cases are close to zero whilst others remain in lockdown (London being a prime example). This could mean teams back training and games behind closed doors or even full crowds coming back in some locations (most likely without away fans). We may also see the prospects of some countries having zero cases whilst others are in full pandemic meaning comps like the champions league become almost impossible to complete.

Of course if the lockdown and start up are not effective or we allow migration from impacted countries then we could see another surge in cases which as you say could delay things further.
You're deluded