Unanimous, i think not.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
If you take a look at the BBC football, league 2 section ,there is a piece on the Port Vale chairpersons reaction to yesterdays decision. One point outside the play offs with 9 games to go and she fully accepts this was only way to go, fair play to her.
If you read that to the end our friend Mr Vince pops up intimating that it was not unanimous and we should have played the season out. So it sounds as if not everybody was in agreement, well he was'nt anyway.
Robin
I read somewhere that 20 out of 24 clubs voted in favour. I can only think the four were consisted of Stevenage, Bradford, Exeter, FGR and ourselves in that case as the only teams with something to play for.
asl
With no relegation as part of the deal, I'm not why Stevenage would have voted against...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I read somewhere that 20 out of 24 clubs voted in favour. I can only think the four were consisted of Stevenage, Bradford, Exeter, FGR and ourselves in that case as the only teams with something to play for.
More from the long piece in the Athletic. This mentions 20 out of 24 like you suggest, but only on the topic of relegation. The last sentence is killer - all clubs in the three EFL leagues have to approve it, so that answers Mal’s question on the other thread:

‘In League Two, at least, came a hint of clarity as one source came away and described “the first example of unanimity” of this entire period. It is understood that Bradford and Port Vale, just outside the play-off places, now accept they will miss out and the clubs were informed of £140,000 testing costs should the division proceed.

The clubs therefore agreed to end the season, respect Swindon, Crewe and Plymouth for automatic promotion and award play-off positions to the clubs in those positions. It had been anticipated that League Two would be decided by weighted home-and-away under a points-per-game model but the board instead opted for straight points-per-game. “If you do it for home and away, would you not have to take into account the strength of opposition played?” asked one source.

“At the bottom of the league pyramid, however, Stevenage received a 20-4 vote in favour of not being relegated. Some clubs argued that if sporting principles are respected at the top of the league, they should also be applied at the bottom.

This, however, like every decision on the day, was only an indicative vote and every call will require a majority of Football League clubs across the three divisions to approve it, in addition to Football Association ratification.’
paperboy
"At the bottom of the league pyramid, however, Stevenage received a 20-4 vote in favour of not being relegated. Some clubs argued that if sporting principles are respected at the top of the league, they should also be applied at the bottom."

Thought that was a short-sighted decision that smacked of the old pals act.
I know Stevenage thought that they should not lose their league status without having the opportunity to play for their survival, but League One and Championship clubs in danger of relegation could say the same thing.
This is all going to get very very messy.
...and that's before the question of safety and players contracts and availability.
Given the highest ranked teams have a poor record of winning the play offs they could be a poisoned chalice for us.
Not knowing what league we will be in is going to hamper MDs plans player-wise and will make a tricky situation even more difficult.
One thing at a time I guess.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:"At the bottom of the league pyramid, however, Stevenage received a 20-4 vote in favour of not being relegated. Some clubs argued that if sporting principles are respected at the top of the league, they should also be applied at the bottom."

Thought that was a short-sighted decision that smacked of the old pals act.
I know Stevenage thought that they should not lose their league status without having the opportunity to play for their survival, but League One and Championship clubs in danger of relegation could say the same thing.
This is all going to get very very messy.
...and that's before the question of safety and players contracts and availability.
Given the highest ranked teams have a poor record of winning the play offs they could be a poisoned chalice for us.
Not knowing what league we will be in is going to hamper MDs plans player-wise and will make a tricky situation even more difficult.
One thing at a time I guess.
Could get messy, as voices off against the ‘no relegation’ vote are already happening. From the same piece:

“The FA has already insisted that promotion and relegation must take place, while the EFL believes that the Championship would also vote against blocking relegation from the Football League as it could provide a precedent for the Premier League to eliminate relegation from the top flight.

Six Championship clubs are understood to have registered their concern with the Football League. The situation at the bottom of League Two could, however, yet spare Stevenage as it is anticipated that Macclesfield, three points clear having played an extra game, may be deducted points. As such, Barrow, the league leaders in the National League, are this weekend confident of promotion.”
Robin
I do believe Stevenage should be relegated but it has a knock on effect who replaces them. I had assumed Barrow were essentially up and replacing Bury regardless but how do non-league teams conduct the play offs if league two are struggling?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I do believe Stevenage should be relegated but it has a knock on effect who replaces them. I had assumed Barrow were essentially up and replacing Bury regardless but how do non-league teams conduct the play offs if league two are struggling?
Maybe they would just promote Harrogate?
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:I do believe Stevenage should be relegated but it has a knock on effect who replaces them. I had assumed Barrow were essentially up and replacing Bury regardless but how do non-league teams conduct the play offs if league two are struggling?
Maybe they would just promote Harrogate?
That would make for a nice away day for us if we stay in 2.
Robin
Yes, I do think Harrogate should come up and Stevenage down. Just hope we are not here and instead visiting Sunderland, Ipswich and Stoke:)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ironically, every year I hope for Harrogate away in the Cup or hope they get promoted as it would be a great weekend trip - and now they actually might I now hope we won’t be playing them!
bigdavejambo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Ironically, every year I hope for Harrogate away in the Cup or hope they get promoted as it would be a great weekend trip - and now they actually might I now hope we won’t be playing them!
El Spaico
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
bigdavejambo wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Ironically, every year I hope for Harrogate away in the Cup or hope they get promoted as it would be a great weekend trip - and now they actually might I now hope we won’t be playing them!
El Spaico
Their water might be nicer (ie drinkable) but the fact they have two or three of the main streets in the town centre with Cheltenham in their name, in honour and homage, shows we are the superior Spa.
bigdavejambo
bigdavejambo wrote:
El Spaico
Their water might be nicer (ie drinkable) but the fact they have two or three of the main streets in the town centre with Cheltenham in their name, in honour and homage, shows we are the superior Spa.
you cant beat Harrogate toffee though.
SHANDY VOR
bigdavejambo wrote:
El Spaico
Jesus Sam, will you ever give it a rest.

There are far more Gloucester Roads/Squares/Places etc. around the country than those with Cheltenham in their name. That shows we are the superior Gloucestershire settlement?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:

There are far more Gloucester Roads/Squares/Places etc. around the country than those with Cheltenham in their name. That shows we are the superior Gloucestershire settlement?
Certainly the more historic and important. Since the Romans Gloucester has been a nationally important City and Diocese throughout British domestic and foreign policy history.

My nonsense comment was in jest, some mere spa town banter and lockdown surrealism. Picture it now, the home fans chanting “your water tastes like f*cking s#!t”, promoting the travelling Robins loyal to retort “given out free on East Coast trains”, etc etc.
Ralph
SHANDY VOR wrote:

Certainly the more historic and important. Since the Romans Gloucester has been a nationally important City and Diocese throughout British domestic and foreign policy history.

My nonsense comment was in jest, some mere spa town banter and lockdown surrealism. Picture it now, the home fans chanting “your water tastes like f*cking s#!t”, promoting the travelling Robins loyal to retort “given out free on East Coast trains”, etc etc.
You could always go to FGR's forum and carry on posting there.. You are a posting machine on that forum :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
SHANDY VOR wrote:

You could always go to FGR's forum and carry on posting there.. You are a posting machine on that forum :lol:
I don’t post on that forum. Like you I don’t wish to give away my contact details to join.
SHANDY VOR
SHANDY VOR wrote:

Sorry Sam, I must have missed the smilies or other mirth indicators in your post, and just read it as a straight opinion. (is there a smiley for sarcasm?).

If there is ever a football related dispute about the quality of bottled water then I will be inclined to be lining up with the Evian Crew. But I probably wouldn't be that fussed, to be honest.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:
SHANDY VOR wrote:

Sorry Sam, I must have missed the smilies or other mirth indicators in your post, and just read it as a straight opinion. (is there a smiley for sarcasm?).

If there is ever a football related dispute about the quality of bottled water then I will be inclined to be lining up with the Evian Crew. But I probably wouldn't be that fussed, to be honest.
You prefer a high calcium:sodium ratio then. I am generally the other way round.
Ralph
Ralph wrote:

I don’t post on that forum. Like you I don’t wish to give away my contact details to join.
Lets consider the facts...

1, They post constantly. Like the most of anyone on that forum in the time they have been posting
2, They always have to have the last word
3, They like copy and paste statistics and info from "official" sources
4, They read the same press as i believe you have stated you read
5, They have a really uncanny posting style that resembles yours..

Ok it's not you :lol:

Tbh i don't care whether its you or not but i'm just enjoying the way that person winds the FGR fans up like against Old Turn Coat last week. Quality work
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Yes, I do think Harrogate should come up and Stevenage down. Just hope we are not here and instead visiting Sunderland, Ipswich and Stoke:)
Catch-22 for Harrogate.

They can’t play in the FL without replacing their 3G pitch with a grass one (stupid rule which needs changing imo) or increasing capacity.

But they can’t do the improvements without a £400k grant from the FL.

But the FL can’t issue the grant until promotion is confirmed!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... all-league" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;