EFL Update - Stevenage set to be relegated and lg1 on PPG

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
So Stevenage, Tranmere, Bolton and Southend all set to be relegated. Plays offs are to go ahead - but no confirmation of timing or funding right now. No expanded play offs in league one so Peterborough and Sunderland both miss out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52758193" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bigdavejambo
Have league one voted to finish?
Si Robin
They haven't but the EFL have confirmed that a vote will be made on a 51% basis - Only 9 teams have backed continuing publically (I think) so it means the vote is likely to bring the season to an end.
Robin
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2020/may/efl- ... us-update/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"3. If a scenario arises whereby the Play-Offs cannot be played, the EFL Board will determine the appropriate course of action."

Can anyone see a scenario where we would not be promoted in this circumstance? We finished fourth, beat Col U away/drew home, drew Exeter away, beat Northampton home/away.
Robin
Also seems Stevenage only relegated if National League will play next season - must be a serious doubt if they have no crowds as TV revenue down there is miniscule.
Ihearye
Apart from the financial minefield that the playoffs will hand out to the 4 unfortuante teams. I still can't understand the logic behind holding them.Teams can't play to avoid relegation, teams can't play to get into the auto promotion slots, teams can't play to get into a playoff place. As these are all decided by PPG. However, the final playoff position has to be played for. How does that fit in with all the other decisions that have been taken? This saga has dragged on for weeks. For safety reasons, the league was stopped, for safety reasons, no more games should be played .... except ........
Brian Rix
Artemis
Si Robin wrote:They haven't but the EFL have confirmed that a vote will be made on a 51% basis - Only 9 teams have backed continuing publically (I think) so it means the vote is likely to bring the season to an end.
Six that I was aware of, all towards the playoffs. Maybe Tranmere too.
Artemis
Ihearye wrote:Apart from the financial minefield that the playoffs will hand out to the 4 unfortuante teams. I still can't understand the logic behind holding them.Teams can't play to avoid relegation, teams can't play to get into the auto promotion slots, teams can't play to get into a playoff place. As these are all decided by PPG. However, the final playoff position has to be played for. How does that fit in with all the other decisions that have been taken? This saga has dragged on for weeks. For safety reasons, the league was stopped, for safety reasons, no more games should be played .... except ........
Brian Rix
I can kind of understand the logic to playing them. The rules are that teams finish in 1st to 3rd are automatically promoted, the bottom club is relegated. 4th to 7th play for the last promotion spot. All the league have done is call the final positions. Therefore 4th to 7th play off.
Then again, I can see your counter argument and agree with it. No more games means no more games.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Congratulations Barrow on a long awaited return to the football league.

My thoughts on whether there should be play offs or not.....as long as we end up getting promoted I don’t care either way.
Horteng
I just don't see how its fair (Nor safe) that the play off's are played.

Just promote on the top 4 PPG average. Its the only fair way and before anyone asks, I genuinely don't know if CTFC would be 4th based on the PPG.

Playing the play offs is a joke IMO. We could of finished in the top 3 if the season had of continued yet we have to go in the play offs. Same for teams chasing a play off place. They could of made it if the season continued so they have missed out
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Exeter will say the same though. They have been in the top three more than us this season and could argue they would have got in the top three again.

The key game would have been us vs Exeter, and our away game at Swindon.

At least now it is fair both us and Exeter get a chance. The right result will be a Cheltenham vs Exeter play off final.

If we do face Exeter in the play off final I hope the game is played at Ashton Gate, not Wembley. AG is already being suggested as a neutral venue for Premiership rugby union games due to being able to implement social distancing of players, staff and fans easily (with restricted numbers). The match would be nothing more than a means to an end, it needs a professional approach and is just a game which needs to be won - it is not a day out or an ‘event’ so no need to be played at Wembley.
Hubert Parry
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52680375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the basis of Julian Tagg's comments, Exeter might be better placed to compete in the playoffs financially. I would be surprised if we had similar levels of cash reserves.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Exeter will say the same though. They have been in the top three more than us this season and could argue they would have got in the top three again.

At least now it is fair both us and Exeter get a chance. The right result will be a Cheltenham vs Exeter play off final.

If we do face Exeter in the play off final I hope the game is played at Ashton Gate, not Wembley. AG is already being suggested as a neutral venue for Premiership rugby union games due to being able to implement social distancing of players, staff and fans easily (with restricted numbers). The match would be nothing more than a means to an end, it needs a professional approach and is just a game which needs to be won - it is not a day out or an ‘event’ so no need to be played at Wembley.
There will be no need for fans social distancing, as there would be no fans.
Ihearye
Hubert Parry wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52680375

On the basis of Julian Tagg's comments, Exeter might be better placed to compete in the playoffs financially. I would be surprised if we had similar levels of cash reserves.
On the basis of that article and the playoffs costing approx £400,000. How is it right for the EFL to burden 4 teams with that debt, while others get a free ride? This is a disaster waiting to happen, would rather the club survived that go into a playoff lottery after 10 weeks of inactivity.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Exeter will say the same though. They have been in the top three more than us this season and could argue they would have got in the top three again.

There will be no need for fans social distancing, as there would be no fans.
Players and staff are needed though. Most of the stuff about Ashton Gate and rugby is focusing on the dressing room and off pitch set up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52680375

On the basis of that article and the playoffs costing approx £400,000. How is it right for the EFL to burden 4 teams with that debt, while others get a free ride? This is a disaster waiting to happen, would rather the club survived that go into a playoff lottery after 10 weeks of inactivity.
On the basis of that article only a max of three teams in L2 will have debt - Exeter seem to have plenty of cash in the bank to pay for it without needing debt.

If we have to fork out to play in the play offs then it makes promotion an imperative. A bit like when we went down to the NL, it was a promotion or bust situation. Is this the same again?
Hubert Parry
Yes, therefore it is not a risk worth taking, especially as failure coupled with a disastrous season next year would mean we drop out of the League.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
That article is the first time I have seen any mention or speculation of a proposed salary cap. Where did that come from?
paperboy
Robin wrote:https://www.ctfc.com/news/2020/may/efl- ... us-update/

"3. If a scenario arises whereby the Play-Offs cannot be played, the EFL Board will determine the appropriate course of action."

Can anyone see a scenario where we would not be promoted in this circumstance? We finished fourth, beat Col U away/drew home, drew Exeter away, beat Northampton home/away.
I imagine that the EFL want to get the vote passed then worry about the play-offs afterwards. Suspect that they are not overly confident that they will take place and if that happened that could put the 4th promotion spot in jeopardy as League One and the Championship might vote to have one less of their own relegated.

I did think that I saw a while back that the EFL would foot the testing bill ,but haven't seen that confirmed anywhere recently.

Paul Godfrey has said that all 4 potential play-off teams are in dialogue regarding the costs and saying that it is unfair that 4 clubs should foot the costs on their own-I'm not sure you can have your cake and eat it though. Maybe they will come to an arrangement whereby the winners assist the other three financially if need be.
MD has said that we are in dialogue regarding our loan players.
Not sure whether JDH will be training already with Villa.
Robin
Regarding JDH, I had presumed it was only first team players back in training (due to costs), I cannot imagine that U-23/reserve football will take place so I suspect he is not back in training.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I suspect many teams will envy the wealth of our majority shareholder
RubyRedRobin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I suspect many teams will envy the wealth of our majority shareholder
Simon Keswick?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RubyRedRobin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I suspect many teams will envy the wealth of our majority shareholder
Simon Keswick?
Yes, he is our largest shareholder (about 25%), closely followed by CTFC Investments Limited who hold about 22% and are registered in the Cayman Islands - I don’t want to speculate who might ultimately be behind them.
RubyRedRobin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
RubyRedRobin wrote:
Simon Keswick?
Yes, he is our largest shareholder (about 25%), closely followed by CTFC Investments Limited who hold about 22% and are registered in the Cayman Islands - I don’t want to speculate who might ultimately be behind them.
Interesting about the offshored ownership, didn't realise that. Would be interesting to find out who, but probably impossible to tell 100%.
Si Robin
This was brought up 2 and 5 years ago

http://robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewtopic. ... an#p290507
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:This was brought up 2 and 5 years ago

http://robinsnestforum.co.uk/viewtopic. ... an#p290507
Ruby Red obviously missed it.
Horteng
Ihearye wrote:Apart from the financial minefield that the playoffs will hand out to the 4 unfortuante teams. I still can't understand the logic behind holding them.Teams can't play to avoid relegation, teams can't play to get into the auto promotion slots, teams can't play to get into a playoff place. As these are all decided by PPG. However, the final playoff position has to be played for. How does that fit in with all the other decisions that have been taken? This saga has dragged on for weeks. For safety reasons, the league was stopped, for safety reasons, no more games should be played .... except ........
Brian Rix
Agree with this 100%

Decide the full league positions on a PPG average then award promotion/ relegation based on that.
Robin
I suspect, having read the EFL statement, that is the fall back option, and will be the outcome if the play offs cannot be safely undertaken or funded.