Play-Off thread

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A thread for play-off news, speculation and ideas.

I wonder if this is an option to consider? https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52875444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Behind closed doors match in Denmark allows 2,000 cars to park (socially distanced) in the club car park so fans can listen to the radio coverage and celebrate (or despair) collectively whilst staying distanced/isolated.

Perhaps an equivalent but with a few big screens up so the match can be watched as well as listened to?
Robin
Why radio when the game will be screened on national TV (Sky), big screen in the car park I doubt would be cost effective unless we could do it at the race course?
Ihearye
Robin wrote:Why radio when the game will be screened on national TV (Sky), big screen in the car park I doubt would be cost effective unless we could do it at the race course?
Robin - what part of social distancing and crowd gathering rules, do you keep failing to understand?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Why radio when the game will be screened on national TV (Sky), big screen in the car park I doubt would be cost effective unless we could do it at the race course?
Read my post when I say put screens up to watch on TV?!?!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
Robin - what part of social distancing and crowd gathering rules, do you keep failing to understand?
Staying in your own car 2m away from other cars is no different than parking in a car park by a busy beach or park for exercise, which is allowed.

As I said and Robin suggested, big screens up and fans can watch from their vehicles without any social distancing issues.

The Racecourse is not a bad shout. Say 3,000+ cars at £10 a pop. Cheaper than a sky subscription for families, and the club at least get some mone.
CTFCfan99
I think that's a good idea. You'd have some sort of atmophere to go with it as well which is definitely better than the silence we're likely to see on TV.
longmover
only same household members in the car though, surely???
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:only same household members in the car though, surely???
Yes. Didn’t bother stating that as it is the obvious default position.

No odds available yet from bookies on L2 playoffs on oddschecker, although odds are offered on all markets for L1.
longmover
Where are these 3000 cars going to come from? My point re house hold members only is that (normally) mates (who live in different houses) meet and go to the match, this cant happen under COVID restrictions. also why would a family want to sit in a cramped car for over two hours on a (potentially) very hot day?

Not everyone can drive.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:Where are these 3000 cars going to come from? My point re house hold members only is that (normally) mates (who live in different houses) meet and go to the match, this cant happen under COVID restrictions. also why would a family want to sit in a cramped car for over two hours on a (potentially) very hot day?

Not everyone can drive.
Jesus mate it is just an idea. People who don’t want to or can’t drive won’t come, simple. Just a suggestion based on what looked like a good atmosphere at the Danish game with 2,000 cars.

I personally would rather be sat the next car along from my mates where we can hear each other cheering and shouting watching the game at the same time, rather than watching in my living room. That’s the point of it, but obviously it is not going to be appealing or possible for everyone.

The world is going to be very different for sometime and clubs will have to try a multitude of ways to engage with fans and generate revenue. I am sure there will be many ideas and trials over the coming year targeting different platforms and segments of the fan base. None will be perfect but they might all help as part of a package. And clubs won’t know what is best until trying it.
asl
It won't be done. Toilet facilities will need to be provided, for a start (that's a legal requirement.) If you do that, it makes a mockery of what you're trying to do. Also, you can guarantee some fast food outlets will pitch up, just to compound the issue.

It's a nice idea, but practicalities and human stupidity...I mean, 'nature'...dictate that it'd be more trouble to organise than it's worth. TV and radio only, I'm afraid.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:It won't be done. Toilet facilities will need to be provided, for a start (that's a legal requirement.) If you do that, it makes a mockery of what you're trying to do. Also, you can guarantee some fast food outlets will pitch up, just to compound the issue.

It's a nice idea, but practicalities and human stupidity...I mean, 'nature'...dictate that it'd be more trouble to organise than it's worth. TV and radio only, I'm afraid.
As a quarter Danish I obviously overestimated the ability of British people to be normal and sensible - apologies.
asl
In fairness, not just the British. The pics of the Black Lives Matter march down Connell Street in Dublin are a sight to behold.
Ihearye
asl wrote:In fairness, not just the British. The pics of the Black Lives Matter march down Connell Street in Dublin are a sight to behold.
O :)
paperboy
EFL and Sky broadcast statement..
They are seemingly confident how the voting will go at the EFL meeting next week.
Good news for season ticket holders..

'Sky to show 30 games as Championship restarts on June 20'

http://www.skysports.com/share/12000470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It is not clear about whether the play-off games are available to ST holders or for £10 on iFollow. I interpret it as saying just the regular Championship games are.

Hopefully I am wrong. I am happy to pay to watch the match but don’t want a long term subscription to SkySports.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:It is not clear about whether the play-off games are available to ST holders or for £10 on iFollow. I interpret it as saying just the regular Championship games are.

Hopefully I am wrong. I am happy to pay to watch the match but don’t want a long term subscription to SkySports.
Yes you may be right that it will only apply to League matches.

With the plethora of football coming up a one off month Now TV pass might be attractive.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:It is not clear about whether the play-off games are available to ST holders or for £10 on iFollow. I interpret it as saying just the regular Championship games are.

Yes you may be right that it will only apply to League matches.

With the plethora of football coming up a one off month Now TV pass might be attractive.
Good point. We have the NowTV app on our PlusnetTV package so I will investigate.
Ihearye
"EFL chairman Rick Parry revealed there will be a £200m black hole for football clubs to fill by September, whilst the Premier League confirmed there would be no rescue package for the EFL any time soon."

Still no answer as to who is covering the financial costs of any playoffs, if they are taking place, where they are taking place etc etc etc. Total waste of time and money
Robin
Jon Palmer confirmed play offs venue will be home and away legs then at Wembley.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:Jon Palmer confirmed play offs venue will be home and away legs then at Wembley.
Hope the EFL read his column then!

All they do is continue to make vague contradictory statements.
2,c c. Play-Offs should be played in all circumstances but should not be extended (beyond four teams).
Quickly followed by
3. If a scenario arises whereby the Play-Offs cannot be played, the EFL Board will determine the appropriate course of action.

It's June 8th and Wembley's knowledge is - League Two Play-Off Final
POSTPONED

Hopefully if League 1 decide what they want today, then EFL can give some actual facts and enlighten us all, as to who is paying for this farce. Wages need to be paid, testing has to be paid for, matchday expenses etc etc etc and not a penny coming in as far as anybody knows. You have to wonder how we can be actively looking for any new players, when we don't know how much, if any, money will be left in the kitty
Robin
I'm assuming the play off final will be the last weekend in June and first leg this weekend or latest middle of next week. As you say not much time to finalise but teams must have some idea.

I saw something yesterday that in the latest testing there was one positive COVID case amongst the four League 2 teams but unclear if it was one of the four from last week or a new case entirely, or even which club it was at.
Robin
Update: I did a quick google search the new positive case is at Exeter so they are missing 3 players and Colchester 4 for their play off game. Ourselves and Northampton untouched on the playing front.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 53746.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paperboy
Robin wrote:Update: I did a quick google search the new positive case is at Exeter so they are missing 3 players and Colchester 4 for their play off game. Ourselves and Northampton untouched on the playing front.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foo ... 53746.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's important to distinguish between players and non- playing staff.
Clubs have approximately 30 individual tests taken so might not affect the first choice eleven.
The play offs aren't for a couple of weeks anyway.
As with many players they were asymptomatic so let's hope they recover quickly and haven't infected any more vulnerable family members.
Robin
Yes, as I understood it the case at Northampton was a physio, however at Colchester and Exeter it is players.

Regarding the play offs they cannot start in two weeks as they committed to finishing them by end of June. The latest realistically to start is middle of next week. Finals will be 27th & 28th June at Wembley I strongly suspect.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Yes, as I understood it the case at Northampton was a physio, however at Colchester and Exeter it is players.

Regarding the play offs they cannot start in two weeks as they committed to finishing them by end of June. The latest realistically to start is middle of next week. Finals will be 27th & 28th June at Wembley I strongly suspect.
I can see them being pushed back to July.
Robin
One of the big things the EFL said was play offs must finish in June otherwise players contracts would need to be extended.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:One of the big things the EFL said was play offs must finish in June otherwise players contracts would need to be extended.
As I said, I can see that happening.
tunnelvision
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:One of the big things the EFL said was play offs must finish in June otherwise players contracts would need to be extended.
And what happens if players don't want to extend? Even if they do, I can't see them being that motivated if only given a few weeks extension, knowing full well that they're then going to be released.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
tunnelvision wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
And what happens if players don't want to extend? Even if they do, I can't see them being that motivated if only given a few weeks extension, knowing full well that they're then going to be released.

I don’t see why a player would be less motivated knowing they are going to be released at the end of July than they would be knowing they are going to be released at the end of June...

And extra month’s wages with the mortgage to pay, and after all, if trying to secure a new contract at a new club, then putting in a good performance live on Sky is probably the best way to do it...
Robin
I don't think they will extend, would imagine instead the play off games will be condensed. I bet they start next week.
Ihearye
TBH - rapidly losing interest. Contributed to the crowdfunding etc but would now rather see some support put in place and scrap the playoffs. There is no logic to them, no planning and no leadership from EFL. Call it a day and start agian when we can
CTFCfan99
Extending the season by a week or so won't be an issue - just look at the Championship, they're playing on until the end of July. I think we'll see the first legs no earlier than 20th/21st and finals on weekend of 4th/5th July.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
After the L1 vote today (indicative as per L2 vote), the final decision and plan is going to be made tomorrow at an EFL EGM.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... l-meeting/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ihearye
BBC are reporting still no decision made, probably League 1 to vote tomorrow https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52836189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;