Play-Off thread

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
theidlerich wrote:You assume wrong.... NT 1 up! Deflection, scrappy goal just like those we gave away!
Flukey sh!ts. If they go up, will anyone have had a better crisis than them? Set for 9th in the League and a managerial departure they now have one foot in the League above.

Football is a strange game at times.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
2-0. Morton with his 8th goal in the last 12 games. Not bad for someone ihearye says has no end product.

I have succumbed and tuned in on mute on my iPad whilst my wife is on the phone.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Maxted keeps the score to 2-0. Could have been five at half time.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Maxted keeps the score to 2-0. Could have been five at half time.
Yes the FGR cast -off keeping Exeter just in the game despite looking like the flying pig at times.
Big Nige covering every blade of grass but unfortunately in the wrong sequence.
Hubert Parry
I have decided to watch it. Exeter every bit as bad as we were. It's no advert for L2 football that such agricultural football is so effective.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Dean Moxey summing up how most football fans will feel watching Northampton play this match. His only regret will be he didn’t injure the Northampton player.
cliffy90
Exeter have been bullied like we were. Callum Morton excellent for Northampton again.
Hubert Parry
Reading the Exeter forum, it mirrors the second leg. Only positive is that at least we didn't blow it in the final.

Matt Taylor does not inspire confidence.
cliffy90
Almost a carbon copy of the second leg. Northampton's style might not be pleasing on the eye but it's effective.
RobinHood
Northampton have played well, but Exeter, like us in the 2nd leg, haven’t turned up.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
That was a bit cathartic in the end. Nothing helps you feel a bit better than seeing someone suffering worse than you do.

Hopefully we can capitalise on Exeter’s play off hangover next season and get six points off them!
paperboy
Northampton certainly like playing on Monday nights against teams playing in red.
At least we can say that we lost to the eventual winners.
..and to think that world class forward Callum Morton was within hours of joining Gary Johnson at Torquay before Northampton nipped in to sign him.
longmover
Hubert Parry wrote:I have decided to watch it. Exeter every bit as bad as we were. It's no advert for L2 football that such agricultural football is so effective.
Only effective as teams don't turn up to play against it mentally, they play percentages and hope teams arent in the right mindset to deal with it, they finished 7th so can be beaten.

They'll have two ,maybe three seasons in league one but will be played off the park by better footballing teams.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
On the effectiveness of Northampton. They lost more than twice as many as us in the completed league fixtures (13 vs 6) however they won exactly the same as us; 17. They only drew 7, compared to our 13. Only Swindon drew fewer.

So in terms of winning football matches they were just as effective as us during the season.

Annoyingly, whilst it was too many draws which cost us automatics, in the one game where a draw would have been welcome Northampton’s aversion to draws took precedent.
Horteng
Its awful to watch but its got them promoted. They ran over the top of Exeter like they did to us in the second leg
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:That was a bit cathartic in the end. Nothing helps you feel a bit better than seeing someone suffering worse than you do.
What has happened to you in lockdown RCS - have you lost the compassion and humanity you purported to have on many thousands of occasions on this forum? Feeling better about the 40,000 UK deaths because the Brazilians have more?

You are turning into a monster.
Alf
I am still sickened by our second leg performance. Couldn’t watch last night’s game. Curle must have given his players one hell of an inspirational talking to a week ago.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:That was a bit cathartic in the end. Nothing helps you feel a bit better than seeing someone suffering worse than you do.
What has happened to you in lockdown RCS - have you lost the compassion and humanity you purported to have on many thousands of occasions on this forum? Feeling better about the 40,000 UK deaths because the Brazilians have more?

I wasn’t feeling down or bad about the deaths to be honest, so your analogy doesn’t work.
GrahamPC
paperboy wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Maxted keeps the score to 2-0. Could have been five at half time.
Yes the FGR cast -off keeping Exeter just in the game despite looking like the flying pig at times.
Am I right in thinking that both goalkeepers were at FGR during the season that CT were also in Conference?
If so they've both done okay for themselves.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
GrahamPC wrote:
paperboy wrote:
Am I right in thinking that both goalkeepers were at FGR during the season that CT were also in Conference?
If so they've both done okay for themselves.
Shows what happens if they are given a run in the side by a proper manager rather than being dropped by Cooper for no reason after a handful of games.
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
SHANDY VOR wrote:

I wasn’t feeling down or bad about the deaths to be honest.
You heartless b#!#%#d!