Oliver

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Hubert Parry
https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/spor ... ck-2892993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would hardly call Cheltenham "big timers". :lol:

I was minded to support Northampton in the final and indeed I have been very complimentary about how they won the tie, but these comments are very crass.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I didn’t see the warm up to see if we were strutting. We certainly played like we just have to turn up and stroll about to win.

Obviously fans including myself were bullish in the build up and planning for Wembley but that should not impact the performance or result.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Still a classless comment though.

Nicking £10m off the council, half built stand, cheats like Goode, and now this.

We’ll have them next season.
little mo
If i was him i would be keeping quiet and not criticising what other players do. 226 league games,37 goals, thats one every 6.2 games. Pretty s#!t record mate, and thats putting it mildly.
Hubert Parry
Exactly. I suspect Curle and Co did try to use this as a motivational ploy and to whip up a narrative that we thought this tie was won. I just don't think it is true. I just do not see the benefit to be had in these comments - even if it were true, surely it would be more remarkable to say that they had come back against a team who were not complacent?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just sums up the arrogant, entitled and bullying nature of the club. Northampton think they are a bigger club who should not be playing the likes of Cheltenham. They always have. Like other arrogant, entitled bullies, they often attack opponents by referring to behaviour they themselves display. Northampton would have been strutting at the start of the season, self-appointing themselves as odds-on favourites. They would have been strutting before the first leg, scoffing at the thought of playing Cheltenham. So now having won they accuse us of doing that.

Their forum wanted Curle sacked after the first leg as 7th was not good enough and losing in the playoffs was not good enough. In 2004/05 season (I think) I went to Northampton away with a fellow Robin and a Cobbler from my Uni. He viewed it as if us Robins were going for an evening out at White Hart Lane or similar. Spencer scored a late equaliser and our Cobbler mate was spitting foam for days, furious as if they had drawn against a part-time non-league side.

As I said in my previous post, whether it was casually stealing £10m from the Council or the antics of Goode this season, I have seen nothing over the years to change my view of the club. So Oliver’s comments are no surprise.
Shade
I'd imagine the odds of them coming straight back down are quite low. I just cannot believe they won their last two games 3-0 and 4-0. Another game or two of the regular season and they wouldn't have even been in the play-offs. Probably the worst team to gain promotion to the third tier in a generation, and all because two sides they played against bottled it big time.
longmover
we aren't big timers and neither are northampton