Fans back in stadiums

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Barron
So looks like theres no away days next season... and huge competition over seats - being a suggested lucky dip to fill 20-30% of the stadium. Do we know if the club will prioritise season ticket holders or they getting shafted?...

source - fanbanter.co.uk/the-number-of-fans-who-could-be-let-into-efl-stadiums-next-season/
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Surely current season ticket holders must be given first dibs.

If that means they are all gone, then to be frank, tough.

One of the reasons I pay £375 a year for half a dozen games is so that when exceptional things happen and demand outstrips supply I get priority access. Granted the events I usually think about are Premier League team in FA Cup or big away games rather than global pandemic. But the principle is the same.
Robin
I already made a post on this. Latest I heard is 12th September re-start and initial crowds of 25-33% capacity and no away fans expected before Jan 2021. This will mean season tickets are needed in the most part to guarantee attendence.
longmover
Fair enough, but what if ST don't want to attend the games in this current climate?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:Fair enough, but what if ST don't want to attend the games in this current climate?
Then it is up to that individual to decide between two options:

- buy an ST even if not going to games
- don’t buy an ST

Now, if the Club had a good digital ticket system with electronic tickets and scanners on the turnstiles there would be one useful thing to solve the dilemma:

Someone could buy a digital ST on the app for full price. Then, say by the Thursday before a Saturday game they could select on the app they were not attending. The system would then cancel their barcode for that match and put the seat up for sale on the Club ticket site. If sold then the ST holder would be refunded some of the ticket price - say 50% and the club keep 50%. If not sold then no refund to the ST holder.

That is a good idea for three reasons:
1. It minimises the financial risk to purchasing an ST if the individual may be unable to attend because they get partial refunds if their seat is sold to someone else.
2. It removes the moral risk of a non-attending ST leaving an empty seat whilst hundreds are locked out of attending.
3. It helps the Club financially as they get additional match day income from selling the ticket.

Sounds revolutionary for football, but in many other walks of life such basic apps are part and parcel.

These are the types of changes I hope Covid-19 forces Clubs to make. And if Clubs have Directors who simply don’t have the innovative thinking needed or sufficient knowledge of latest digital tech trends then they need new Directors and bring their Board Rooms into the 21st Century.
andgarod
I am sure our chairman can install a perfect signalling system that raises and lowers barriers so that you can get into the carpark
It could probably sound an audible warning when a ST was 200 yards away :lol:

I am sure it will happen when we have the money
Is the FL going to donate any money for ground improvements
GrahamPC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
longmover wrote:Fair enough, but what if ST don't want to attend the games in this current climate?
Then it is up to that individual to decide between two options:

- buy an ST even if not going to games
- don’t buy an ST

Now, if the Club had a good digital ticket system with electronic tickets and scanners on the turnstiles there would be one useful thing to solve the dilemma:

Someone could buy a digital ST on the app for full price. Then, say by the Thursday before a Saturday game they could select on the app they were not attending. The system would then cancel their barcode for that match and put the seat up for sale on the Club ticket site. If sold then the ST holder would be refunded some of the ticket price - say 50% and the club keep 50%. If not sold then no refund to the ST holder.

That is a good idea for three reasons:
1. It minimises the financial risk to purchasing an ST if the individual may be unable to attend because they get partial refunds if their seat is sold to someone else.
2. It removes the moral risk of a non-attending ST leaving an empty seat whilst hundreds are locked out of attending.
3. It helps the Club financially as they get additional match day income from selling the ticket.

Sounds revolutionary for football, but in many other walks of life such basic apps are part and parcel.

These are the types of changes I hope Covid-19 forces Clubs to make. And if Clubs have Directors who simply don’t have the innovative thinking needed or sufficient knowledge of latest digital tech trends then they need new Directors and bring their Board Rooms into the 21st Century.
I would hope that your comments are more widely circulate than on forum.
Sounds sensible - a win win situation.
tunnelvision
Without knowing the actual stadium sizes, it seems to me that Cheltenham will be at a serious disadvantage to most other L2 clubs, if we're only allowed to operate at 20%-30% of capacity.
Shade
Aren't this last seasons season ticket sales about 25% of the capacity? I would imagine renewals will be a little down as a chunk of those are seniors that would be comfortable returning until a vaccine is running through their veins, vut there may be newbies that want one, especially if that's the only way to watch at the ground.
Robin
No chance season tickets are 25% of capacity that would be roughly 1800 season tickets. Given that away fans are looking extremely unlikely if crowds are allowed at 25% from October (Boris Johnson hinted today) we are looking at roughly half our average attendance for the first few months of the season, can we survive on that?
Shade
I thought the ST sales were thought to be about 1500. OK, just under 20% then.

I would imagine survival for most clubs would depend on budget caps and whether the higher earners would be willing to take a pay cut (in contract) or lower their expectations (out of contract). There's gonna be a few new clauses in new contracts, I reckon.
Robin
The EFL do appear to be looking at wage caps but as I understood it won't fully apply next season or will exclude players under contract before it's brought in (perhaps why a select few clubs are signing lots of players now). If we assume capacity is limited to 2400 that's a 33% decrease on our average attendance so we would be looking at a 20%+ reduction in wage bill I'd imagine just to break even.
Shade
But we have survived (just about) on crowds of that not too long ago so I would have thought we would be OK.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
25% of 7,000 is 1,750.

The way I would do it is to have ST in the three sides where home fans usually go. And then make the Hazlewoods as overflow. Once all STs are sold sell STs in there, and if room that’s the only place where you can buy tickets match by match (pay in advance digital tickets only).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
So Boris reckons October ‘could’ be when fans are back in footy stadia. Food for thought.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:So Boris reckons October ‘could’ be when fans are back in footy stadia. Food for thought.
Which is what I posted on here and had come from a journalist a week or so back and you tried to dismiss :roll:
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:25% of 7,000 is 1,750.

The way I would do it is to have ST in the three sides where home fans usually go. And then make the Hazlewoods as overflow. Once all STs are sold sell STs in there, and if room that’s the only place where you can buy tickets match by match (pay in advance digital tickets only).
If capacity is limited to 1800 then you'd imagine season ticket sales will be very high, probably could surpass 1500 to ensure people have access to the game.
Robin
Shade wrote:But we have survived (just about) on crowds of that not too long ago so I would have thought we would be OK.
Not in the football league we haven't Shade, in the past twenty years our average attendance is about 3400.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:So Boris reckons October ‘could’ be when fans are back in footy stadia. Food for thought.
Which is what I posted on here and had come from a journalist a week or so back and you tried to dismiss :roll:
Erm, from earlier in this thread:

“Latest I heard is 12th September re-start and initial crowds of 25-33% capacity”.

And in the thread where you first said it could end up being October as well as September or August you later said:

“October now ruled out despite some clubs wanting to wait for crowds to return.”

:lol: :roll: :shock:
Robin
I do wonder if you deliberately try to troll or you are just argumentative for the sake of it but go back and read the first post I made where it stated October to allow crowds to return. That was the first thing I heard and I shared it, also it looks like 12th September return is most likely but I've no idea why we would not just wait until crowds can return.

On a different note I saw something in one of the papers suggesting when crowds return it will mean no away fans (as we've discussed before) but also temperature checks and staggered arrival times - unclear how this would apply.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I do wonder if you deliberately try to troll or you are just argumentative for the sake of it but go back and read the first post I made where it stated October to allow crowds to return. That was the first thing I heard and I shared it, also it looks like 12th September return is most likely but I've no idea why we would not just wait until crowds can return.

On a different note I saw something in one of the papers suggesting when crowds return it will mean no away fans (as we've discussed before) but also temperature checks and staggered arrival times - unclear how this would apply.
Not trolling, I just don’t take fools or egos lightly.

Had you said October and stuck to it then fair play. But instead you then announced October was “ruled out”, and that it could be August or September but you “heard it was” 12th September.

Staggered away times is something I have suggested twice before on this forum. My suggestion, which seems fairly practical is that when you buy a ticket you are given an arrival slot. Ie it might say “entry time 14:30-14:35”.

If you arrive early you will be told to go and wait away from the entrance. If you arrive late you are denied entry, which would be frustrating the first time but you wouldn’t make the same mistake again.

Times would be based on where you have been allocated to sit or stand. If you are allocated in the middle of an aisle you get given an earlier time, so that you can enter first without having to brush past people and no one has to brush past you. People on the aisle would be given the latest time.

I’m assuming numbers will be painted on the terrace steps so you get an allocated slot to stand on.
everyman
I`ve allways wanted my number painted on the terrace where I stand,it`s no. 1 ?
GrahamPC
everyman wrote:I`ve allways wanted my number painted on the terrace where I stand,it`s no. 1 ?
:o :lol:
paperboy
An update within this article

Fans back in October with between 17 and 33 % capacity
If league starts 12th September I guess that would mean probably 2 matches without spectators.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... er-4359340" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
It's almost as if what I wrote was correct after all...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:It's almost as if what I wrote was correct after all...
Which bit? It starting in October or October being ruled out??

:lol: :lol:
Robin
Clubs wanted to start in October to allow fans in RCS, is that hard to comprehend for you? However date was then pushed to 12th September and agreed to play the first few games without fans.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Clubs wanted to start in October to allow fans in RCS, is that hard to comprehend for you? However date was then pushed to 12th September and agreed to play the first few games without fans.
Walter dear fellow, I understand perfectly what all the clubs, commentators and rumours have been saying for ages. Before, in fact, your various changing predictions for October and September. You even said August at one point I think before updating with the ‘latest’ when others had already said it was unlikely.
Robin
You really are deluded and argumentative, if I were not an admin I would mute you for trolling.
Robin
Getting back on subject (further trolling will be met with warnings then bans) it appears we can expect the fixture list to be announced around August 10th once the play offs are concluded. Hopefully by that time clubs will be able to sell season tickets and have a good idea of how many fans will be allowed back in October.
Jerry St Clair
Some interesting stuff about one-way systems, and entry/exit around grounds.

Strikes me that the Colin Farmer is pretty good for having a one way system in the stands and plenty of space by the vomitories. The Hazlewoods only has one way in and out and has a pretty congested pinch point, so pretty difficult there. No idea about the main stand. The PRE has one way in and out, but is very spacious especially if only 20% full. It'll be interesting to see what the adapted Green Guide says about terraces and whether they are better or worse for social distancing than terraces (more spacious v less control over movement).

I really, really don't envy Paul Godfrey having to make sense and implement all of this.
GrahamPC
Jerry St Clair wrote:Some interesting stuff about one-way systems, and entry/exit around grounds.

Strikes me that the Colin Farmer is pretty good for having a one way system in the stands and plenty of space by the vomitories. The Hazlewoods only has one way in and out and has a pretty congested pinch point, so pretty difficult there. No idea about the main stand. The PRE has one way in and out, but is very spacious especially if only 20% full. It'll be interesting to see what the adapted Green Guide says about terraces and whether they are better or worse for social distancing than terraces (more spacious v less control over movement).

I really, really don't envy Paul Godfrey having to make sense and implement all of this.
A solution could be to open all the gates between stands and create a one way system where required.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:Some interesting stuff about one-way systems, and entry/exit around grounds.

Hazlewoods has massive gates which open out on to Wymans Rd, so very easy to do one-way. There are also the main gates by canteen area.

Surely every big gate should be open and we shouldn’t be using turnstiles.
Robin
Apparently capacity will be limited to be between 17-30%, unclear where the percentages apply or how this will effect us but best case scenario maximum capacity for Cheltenham will be 2160 next season (hopefully subject to review during the season). That's a huge blow financially for us and likely the same for all other league two clubs.
Shade
I'm sure more than 30% could fit into WR and be socially distanced. I guess its because more people can't be trusted to keep away from each other.