Southend United v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/SouthendA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pas
Oh well perhaps George Lloyd will score a goal today. Am I the only one that doesn't understand why Alfie May has dropped down the pecking order ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
pas wrote:Oh well perhaps George Lloyd will score a goal today. Am I the only one that doesn't understand why Alfie May has dropped down the pecking order ?
You are not. I also do not understand. If he is is injured or unfit it would be good to know that as I cannot understand why otherwise.
Shade
Alfie has been poor. Was poor in the opening game and hasn't shown much when coming on as a sub. Meanwhile, Lloyd pretty much scored v Tranmere, would have scored on Tuesday if it wasn't for a hand ball, and had been part of a starting line up that won 5 in a row, or whatever it was. As MD has said, what kind of message does it send out if he changes the team as soon as another player is fit again, especially when we have been winning? After one loss, where Lloyd was far from the worst performer, it would also be the wrong message.

The big news for me is that Connor Thomas has been dropped with Clements coming in. I said the other night that Bonds played much better alongside Clem, someone to lay the ball off to who can produce a good pass. So here we go, time for me to be proved wrong again
Shade
Oooh, a few won't be happy. Not only James Young on commentary, but James Young main commentator!
Shade
Well that early penalty makes up a little vit for the early penalty we didn't get last time out.
Nesty
Tell us whats happening on the fecking pitch !!!!!!!
Si Robin
Shade wrote:Alfie has been poor. Was poor in the opening game and hasn't shown much when coming on as a sub. Meanwhile, Lloyd pretty much scored v Tranmere, would have scored on Tuesday if it wasn't for a hand ball, and had been part of a starting line up that won 5 in a row, or whatever it was. As MD has said, what kind of message does it send out if he changes the team as soon as another player is fit again, especially when we have been winning? After one loss, where Lloyd was far from the worst performer, it would also be the wrong message.
Nail and head by the way.
asl
If Thomas hadn't been dropped, he'd have taken that penalty instead of Sercombe. :D #firstscorer
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:If Thomas hadn't been dropped, he'd have taken that penalty instead of Sercombe. :D #firstscorer
Amen brother. Just need a couple of Boyle moments for me to get the right scoreline too :mrgreen:
Shade
asl wrote:If Thomas hadn't been dropped, he'd have taken that penalty instead of Sercombe. :D #firstscorer
I thought sods law when it was given, first time this season we have one and Thomas isn't on the pitch. Thank God the ball squeezed under the keeper.
paperboy
Shade wrote:Oooh, a few won't be happy. Not only James Young on commentary, but James Young main commentator!
It's quite a good listen on iFollow but for audio only must be frustrating.
Shade
Get in Lloydy! Really good header and normal service resumed from Hussey after an off-night.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes Lloydy! Third on goal difference (ahead of FGR by 1 goal) as it stands. Be nice to add one or two more to make up for Tuesday.

What I do like is we have no draws in six games. Last season we had far too many draws and that cost us. Four wins and two losses is better than say, three wins, two draws and a single defeat.
Shade
We won't get a more comfortable second half than that all season. The second goal just completely killed their spirit going forward. They tried to battle but I actually feel a little sorry for Southend. If they don't get wound uo then they're already down. Saying that, solid and professional performance from us. Up to third, a point behind.

Now...2 home games in a row...Scunny just hammered at home...you know what's coming.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:We won't get a more comfortable second half than that all season. The second goal just completely killed their spirit going forward. They tried to battle but I actually feel a little sorry for Southend. If they don't get wound uo then they're already down. Saying that, solid and professional performance from us. Up to third, a point behind.

Now...2 home games in a row...Scunny just hammered at home...you know what's coming.
No excuses on Tuesday. Scunthorpe must be beaten.

Also, really bizarre that both us and Morecambe have four wins and two defeats from six games...but their GD is minus five and ours is plus six.
Nesty
Shade wrote:We won't get a more comfortable second half than that all season. The second goal just completely killed their spirit going forward. They tried to battle but I actually feel a little sorry for Southend. If they don't get wound uo then they're already down. Saying that, solid and professional performance from us. Up to third, a point behind.

pessimism or realism?
Shade
Nesty wrote:

pessimism or realism?
Exactly...........
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

No excuses on Tuesday. Scunthorpe must be beaten.

Also, really bizarre that both us and Morecambe have four wins and two defeats from six games...but their GD is minus five and ours is plus six.
It appears Morecambe will either grind out a win or get absolutely destroyed!
Horteng
Shade wrote:Oooh, a few won't be happy. Not only James Young on commentary, but James Young main commentator!
Glad I only caught the last 10 mins. Paul Godfrey is a nice guy with the club at heart but he hasnt got the personality required for punditry IMO.

Anyone know if this is the new approach from the BBC to have a different team every week or is it just other covering for others due to availability?
Nesty
paperboy wrote:
It's quite a good listen on iFollow but for audio only must be frustrating.
What BBC Radio Glos provide in the main is an opportunity to share in the match day atmosphere and be kept up to the minute with what's happening on the pitch but today was spent listening to two stalwart gentlemen with CYFC coursing through their veins reminiscing anecdotally and spouting meaningless statistics.......
Shade
There was a point in the second half when I was watching that I thought "I'm glad I'm seeing this otherwise I wouldn't have a clue what has happened over the last 3 minutes". James Young, it seems, is a better commentator than co-commentator, though.
Horteng
Shade wrote:There was a point in the second half when I was watching that I thought "I'm glad I'm seeing this otherwise I wouldn't have a clue what has happened over the last 3 minutes". James Young, it seems, is a better commentator than co-commentator, though.
His commentary couldn’t be worse than his summarising so he’s in a no lose situation. I just find him highly irritating on the radio full stop
PaulGodfrey
Good to hear that some of you stayed on to the end at least! In all seriousness, it’s good to get feedback and I’ll certainly try to concentrate entirely on the game next time I get asked to fill in. I only tend to do it when nobody else is available and today James and I were literally the last men (just about) standing.
In our defence I’d say that matches are being played under very challenging circumstances at the moment and each one seems to throw up a different set of issues. Secondly, today was a remarkably one-sided game and those ones can be quite difficult to talk about. Sometimes there is a danger of going over the same ground again and again so you try and talk around the subjects during lulls in play. Anyway, the main thing is that we won again!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
PaulGodfrey wrote:Good to hear that some of you stayed on to the end at least! In all seriousness, it’s good to get feedback and I’ll certainly try to concentrate entirely on the game next time I get asked to fill in. I only tend to do it when nobody else is available and today James and I were literally the last men (just about) standing.
In our defence I’d say that matches are being played under very challenging circumstances at the moment and each one seems to throw up a different set of issues. Secondly, today was a remarkably one-sided game and those ones can be quite difficult to talk about. Sometimes there is a danger of going over the same ground again and again so you try and talk around the subjects during lulls in play. Anyway, the main thing is that we won again!
Always good to hear your insights and thoughts Paul. Don’t let the critics bring you down!
Nesty
thanks Paul - appreciate the work and feedback
Hubert Parry
From my perspective, after a challenging week, James and Paul did a brilliant job of "accompanying" me on a long drive yesterday. I always felt I knew what was happening and it was a delight to listen to two people who love the club and described the game as they saw it.

The media coverage tends to be subject to a lot of stick, often from the same individuals. I would wager that they have never commentated on a game in their lives. As someone who did have a go at university once, I can assure you it is very challenging!

During these difficult times, I, for one, appreciate all the work that people do to bring the club and its supporters closer together.
horlickfanclub
Good performance by the team yesterday.
Good commentary for about fifteen minutes until anecdotes took over and description of play went out the window for long periods. Some of the ramblings were not during lulls in play. Thank goodness for ifollow .Well worth paying for the pictures. Appreciate the efforts to cover the match with long journeys but a little thought is needed as to what people at home need.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:From my perspective, after a challenging week, James and Paul did a brilliant job of "accompanying" me on a long drive yesterday. I always felt I knew what was happening and it was a delight to listen to two people who love the club and described the game as they saw it.

The media coverage tends to be subject to a lot of stick, often from the same individuals. I would wager that they have never commentated on a game in their lives. As someone who did have a go at university once, I can assure you it is very challenging!

During these difficult times, I, for one, appreciate all the work that people do to bring the club and its supporters closer together.
Maybe the difference is Hubert is that you are intelligent and quick thinking enough to fill in the gaps, make inferences and accept that you don’t necessarily need to know that two of our players are passing it sideways in our own half with no pressure in a dull passage of play. Others may need more spoon feeding.
everyman

If they get wound up we would lose the 3 points ?
everyman
PaulGodfrey wrote:Good to hear that some of you stayed on to the end at least! In all seriousness, it’s good to get feedback and I’ll certainly try to concentrate entirely on the game next time I get asked to fill in. I only tend to do it when nobody else is available and today James and I were literally the last men (just about) standing.
You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
Some of us appreciate your work Paul, i can`t think of many club secretary/directors who could do what you do for our club.
Robin
everyman wrote:

If they get wound up we would lose the 3 points ?
Yes I believe all their results would be null and void. They just sold a player for a six figure fee to QPR though so likely will be ok in the short term.
RobinHood
Out of interest are we going to wear black shorts with our home kit for away games now?

The EFL doesn’t usually allow short clashes which is why we changed for Millwall etc, so thought it was a bit weird for us to wear black shorts as they clashed more with Southend’s dark blue.

Personally I think the black looks better but just thought it was odd that we chose to wear them yesterday.
longmover

Tuesday night is big, we cant keep tripping up over teams that we should be beating (scunthorpe were rotten on Saturday), puts more pressure on games come the end of the season if things get tight. if we keep tripping up then it becomes a mental issue which is harder to overcome.

Another thing, Sercombe's penalty was awful, can we not just blast penalties like Cambridge do, gives the keeper next to no chance.
paperboy
Predictably Southend fans are a little dejected.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/18803 ... nham-town/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;