Cheltenham Town v South Shields

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/SouthShieldsFAC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Leckyfan
Just started, watching on iFollow.

I can’t believe both teams are in Red and White. Is it just me, or is this a recipe for confusion/errors?
Hubert Parry
Playing down to their level. I'm afraid Freestone and Griffiths look shakey to me. Confident enough that we will end up winning but it is unlikely to turn into the confidence boosting win I had hoped for.
pas
Reid and Thomas useless again. What has happened to our passing ? I hope MD brings on Williams and Raglan Now !
Kayode17
Ellis Chapman looks really good on the ball. Haven’t had someone pinging around passes in the centre of the pitch like that for a while. Seems similar to Richard Forsyth in style, some really dangerous passes and shifting it quickly. More to come from him I think.
Ben3
Top result and we can look forward to the draw on Monday

EDIT: shame we can't be drawn with local whipping boys FGR as they slipped to a 6-goal drubbing to Lincoln City. If we can't have that easy win I'd settle for another easy home game - Canvey Island will do
Hubert Parry
And one of Cheltenham's goals came precisely at the moment CNN projected the win for Biden. A good day!
Hubert Parry
Also want to spare a post for South Shields. They played at a standard that was well above their level and made a competitive game of it until the end. They deserved their goal and might have had one or two more.
Robin
Not a bad game really, we missed chances that we should have scored and almost found ourselves behind at half time had they scored with their only real chance. I thought Chapman and Blair were both very good today.
GrahamPC
Ben3 wrote: Top result
EDIT: shame we can't be drawn with local whipping boys FGR as they slipped to a 6-goal drubbing to Lincoln City.
Ben, be careful what you say.
FGR may be out of FA Cup but they can now concentrate on winning promotion. And they already have a two-point start over CTFC.
Of the two competitions promotion is far more important.
Robin
Are you an FGR fan Graham? Based on what I saw last week I don't think they'll get a play off spot unless they sign a decent striker. Meanwhile I'm confident we will finish top three despite some indifferent form in recent weeks. For me Salford, Cheltenham, Port Vale in that order.
GrahamPC
Robin wrote:Are you an FGR fan Graham? Based on what I saw last week I don't think they'll get a play off spot unless they sign a decent striker. Meanwhile I'm confident we will finish top three despite some indifferent form in recent weeks. For me Salford, Cheltenham, Port Vale in that order.
Yesterday FGR & Port Vale lost.
But you have Port Vale to be auto promoted. You may well be right.
But my point was that FGR [and now Port Vale] can fully concentrate on promotion.
Yes FGR lost to Cheltenham but immediately bounced back. Sometimes it is not always the very best team that is promoted but a good team that has luck. If as you say they need a striker, they are one lucky team to be third in table.
Hubert Parry
I have never understood the "concentrating on the league" line. There is a strong correlation between promoted teams and teams with long cup runs. Cheltenham's best ever League 2 season saw a fifth round FA Cup run. Lincoln got to the Quarter Finals in their barnstorming National League title season. Bradford's run to the League Cup final coincided with great league form that saw them reach the playoffs from a lowly position.
Si Robin
Robin wrote:Are you an FGR fan Graham? Based on what I saw last week I don't think they'll get a play off spot unless they sign a decent striker. Meanwhile I'm confident we will finish top three despite some indifferent form in recent weeks. For me Salford, Cheltenham, Port Vale in that order.
He's OTC.
GrahamPC
Following on from Robin's post where he thinks the top three EFL2 teams will finish, I wonder if that is a common opinion.
At start of season Bolton, Bradford, Tranmere & Salford were bookies favourites but none of them are in top seven in table.
Cheltenham & Exeter were expected to be thereabouts but the other current top five clubs NOT.
Apart from Newport, there are few points separating all teams down to 12th.
So plenty, plenty to play for at this 1/4 stage of season.

My thoughts for top seven [alphabet order] Cheltenham, Colchester, Exeter, FGR, Newport, Port Vale, Salford.
And of those I cannot forecast who will end season as Champions.
GrahamPC
Hubert Parry wrote:I have never understood the "concentrating on the league" line. There is a strong correlation between promoted teams and teams with long cup runs. Cheltenham's best ever League 2 season saw a fifth round FA Cup run. Lincoln got to the Quarter Finals in their barnstorming National League title season. Bradford's run to the League Cup final coincided with great league form that saw them reach the playoffs from a lowly position.
Lincoln is a good example where a team had massive double success in one season but it was the exception by a mile.
I think at the moment Port Vale supporters think differently to that example.
They lost to a lowly non-league team but Robin & I have them favourites for promotion.
Ralph
Si Robin wrote:
He's OTC.
Not anymore.. Bye bye Graham/OTC
Si Robin
I didn't out him to get him banned - he's actually been quite reasonable as Graham
Ralph
Its still OTC and he's on a permanent ban. The forum is a better place without him. I believe he's also banned from the FGR forum too
Ben3
That's a bit harsh in my opinion. The bloke obviously really wants/needs football forums in his life and with his ban from here and FGR's one it's not unreasonable to create a new persona and have a fresh start. I don't know OTC personally but he always struck me as a football 'anorak' and who knows what the lack of football is doing to the mental health of people who cannot get their social fix alongside their football fix?

I say let Graham stay as long as he behaves, same rules as the rest of us. And it's nice OTC has turned coat again and is back on board the Cheltenham bus!!
paperboy
I take Ralph's point ,but have to agree with Ben and Si.

Maybe let's take the Biden approach and heal old wounds.
horlickfanclub
Please let him stay.
theidlerich
It is a forum - for one's thoughts and ideas. Some we will agree with, others, very definitely not. Unless the comments are profane, character assassination , ill-mannered, libellous or plain defamatory then 'they' should not be banned! After all 50%[approx] of American citizens voted for and put up with Trump and we have to suffer the bigotry and corruption of Boris's Tory lot! That's a lot worse!
Shade
This is an internet football forum, not a political democracy, ffs. The positive is if somebody is a persistent dickhead then they can be banned.
asl
Shade wrote:if somebody is a persistent dickhead then they can be banned.
Makes you wonder how too many survive, here...
Malabus
paperboy wrote:I take Ralph's point ,but have to agree with Ben and Si.

Maybe let's take the Biden approach and heal old wounds.
Biden the fraud and potato.

Stop it Mal....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
Shade wrote:if somebody is a persistent dickhead then they can be banned.
Makes you wonder how too many survive, here...
Some of us d!ckheads don’t deliberately lie continuously. It is the lying which was unwelcome on this forum. Ban correctly upheld in my view.
Horteng
Ban correct. OTC was nothing but a troll
paperboy
...slightly off topic ,but

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-engla ... ssion=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;