Sunderland v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

HamTown
Lure them in to a false sense of security for the return fixture, smart, very smart
Shade
HamTown wrote:Lure them in to a false sense of security for the return fixture, smart, very smart
:lol: is that what it was. Tactics level 100.
robinsrule
Tough game at the weekend too, followed by a game against a Portsmouth team who lose every game at home….. but will we go there with the confidence that we can win?

I am surprised by how well Bolton and Morecambe have adapted, we are currently fourth out of the promoted teams. And our GD has taken a hammering this week.
Hubert Parry
Still in the office so didn't watch the game. Seen a few references to a lack of effort. Is that really the issue? Or is it more a case of us having played poorly, lost a bit of confidence and being beaten by a better team.

I really don't think you can expect much against a club, away from home, on a Tuesday night, who have crowds that are 10x ours and a budget that probably reflects that.
robinsrule
But no other team has gone there and rolled over this season, Hubert. By all accounts Sunderland were very lucky to get anything from their home game at the weekend. We looked good at Charlton but they lost almost every game since then and we have gone backwards rapidly.
Hubert Parry
We also had the most makeshift of makeshift back lines.

We've lost two games away to the teams who occupy the top two.

This really isn't a crisis.
CTFCfan99
Hubert Parry wrote:Still in the office so didn't watch the game. Seen a few references to a lack of effort. Is that really the issue? Or is it more a case of us having played poorly, lost a bit of confidence and being beaten by a better team.

I really don't think you can expect much against a club, away from home, on a Tuesday night, who have crowds that are 10x ours and a budget that probably reflects that.
It really was that bad, I expected a drubbing but the manner of it has really grated me. What you'll see on the two minute highlights was happening the entire match, they could have scored ten quite easily.

We just need our experienced CBs back. We'd have lost with or without them tonight but their leadership and organisation at the back is vital, we're lost without them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:Still in the office so didn't watch the game. Seen a few references to a lack of effort. Is that really the issue? Or is it more a case of us having played poorly, lost a bit of confidence and being beaten by a better team.

There was not a lack of effort. The boys ran hard, they were just outclassed. Anyone who says there was a lack of effort doesn’t understand the game.

5-4-1 didn’t work. They carved us open between the back three and wingbacks.

We tried 4-4-2 after about 35 mins and looked a bit better but caught out for the third goal. 4-4-2 in the second half was better, and Freestone and Long looked a stronger pairing without Pollock. All defenders made mistakes, had poor touches, and got beaten too easily but Freestone made the most last ditch saving tackles.

Hussey is too slow. Beaten for pace every time even with a five metre head start. That was our biggest weak point defensively and it restricted how effective Perry could be going forward.

Joseph ran and tried but it was one against three and he had no chance. Sunderland eased off late on and at least Norton and Barkers had a bit more freedom to be positive.

Sunderland are a league above us. We shouldn’t be playing against them on this showing and I don’t think we will be….Newcastle will fill the away end more than we did when the two meet in the Championship next season.

We desperately missed Wright. Perry needs more freedom to do his stuff. Joseph needs more support.

We all feared a hammering and it came to pass. Regroup and focus on winning against the teams at our level. With Boyle and Raglan back we will be fine and I would consider Freestone or Chapman at left back to give Hussey a break.
asl
Reality check: we lost 5-0 away at the top team in League 1. Spare a thought for Doncaster.
longmover
Better to play the top two away now instead of march/April next year. Duff knows how important Raglan and Boyle are and didn't want to raise expectations for these two games, we've played them MOVE ON.
horlickfanclub
Agree with longmover Regency and ASL. Poorest performance of the night was the commentary and twitter bashing encouraged by the studio man. Totally unproffesional.
Benctfc
It was almost like the feel of a match when you play a premier league side in we never challenged their goal at all and could almost preempt a big defeat. Not really acceptable when you are playing a team in the same league however big a club they are. It got me thinking and I was surprised when you look at it how many of the current squad do have L1 experience. You could say it is concerning given nearly all of them were seemed not good enough by the clubs they were at when in L1. (Evans,Blair,May,Williams,Vassell,Chapman,Sercombe,Hussey,Bonds,Raglan) that's not too say some cant improve and make it at this level but it shows Duff will probably know a lot of the current squad will need replacing in the next couple of years if we want to be an established L1 side.
Shade
I'm not saying there is a crisis, I was expecting us to get hammered in these games by teams that could actually finish a few chances - I said it a few weeks ago before a certain someone here told me there was no reason to think we would get hammered by anyone. But the way they played last night was downright awful. There was no composure, there was no quality in the passing and, a good few times, yes it seemed like there was a lack of effort from a few players, like they had accepted they had no chance. You only have to see a couple of them jogging when they should have been sprinting to see that - note, it was only a couple and not all of them.

The only good news is that nobody got themselves sent off...but even that is a little worrying because not many of them seemed to get angry or very frustrated that they were being absolutely humiliated in front of 28,000 people and attempted to get some fire in their bellies. They just lost their heads further, like when Flinders took a wayward short goal kick that almost went out for a throw in by our own corner, was retrieved but then given away in the same area, followed a minute later by Flinders coming to the edge of his area and then hesitated, being uncertain as to whether to leave his area and smash it or let the striker have it and just try to stop him shooting. In the end he went half and half and was lucky it didn't lead to another goal. Duff himself said some of them went 'inside themselves' and didn't do what they normally do, so it isn't just some of us fans making stuff up.

But we move on. That one's over and done with. It's not going to be easy but they have to show more on Saturday, injuries or not. They're players being paid to play in League One.
Benctfc
I think we are missing Boyle and Tozer's distribution at the back. Okay Tozer was slow and by no means a complete CB but a lot of possession started through him. Atm we dont seem to have defenders capable of playing out from the back so it ends up hoofed to strikers who arent hold up strikers meaning we constantly lose possession. Lots to think about for Duff will be interesting to see if he sticks by his style of play or makes a few changes to it.
HamTown
We have seemed a bit better switching to a 4 the last couple of games so maybe a change of formation could be on the cards and giving Barkers a start over Thomas who has disappointed this season
horlickfanclub
I agree with Ham town but the four in midfield need to be spread to cover the full backs.
Horteng
Was'nt the only big scoreline last night.

Park it up and move on quickly.....
Robin
robinsrule wrote:But no other team has gone there and rolled over this season, Hubert. By all accounts Sunderland were very lucky to get anything from their home game at the weekend. We looked good at Charlton but they lost almost every game since then and we have gone backwards rapidly.
Last night was disgraceful, an utter shambles, totally devoid of effort and belief but I also think we have to accept our missing defenders is a big contributing factor we need Raglan and Boyle back as soon as possible.

The question is why is this team lacking such belief? It was a thing against Crewe and Oxford and it doesn't seem to impact the smaller clubs than us (Accrington/Morecambe etc)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
robinsrule wrote:But no other team has gone there and rolled over this season, Hubert. By all accounts Sunderland were very lucky to get anything from their home game at the weekend. We looked good at Charlton but they lost almost every game since then and we have gone backwards rapidly.
Last night was disgraceful, an utter shambles, totally devoid of effort and belief but I also think we have to accept our missing defenders is a big contributing factor we need Raglan and Boyle back as soon as possible.

The question is why is this team lacking such belief? It was a thing against Crewe and Oxford and it doesn't seem to impact the smaller clubs than us (Accrington/Morecambe etc)
It was not totally devoid of effort.
Robin
Oh so you thought our players were trying their hardest to tackle?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Oh so you thought our players were trying their hardest to tackle?
Given the number of fouls we gave away attempting to tackle when Sunderland players were too fast for us and the number of last ditch tackles and scrambles then I would say they certainly tried. There was a stage I thought we were going to see a red card when our challenges were flying in.
everyman
Benctfc wrote:I think we are missing Boyle and Tozer's distribution at the back. Okay Tozer was slow and by no means a complete CB but a lot of possession started through him. Atm we dont seem to have defenders capable of playing out from the back so it ends up hoofed to strikers who arent hold up strikers meaning we constantly lose possession. Lots to think about for Duff will be interesting to see if he sticks by his style of play or makes a few changes to it.
A quick check,we have lost 13 out of 20 games without Boyle including last seasons championship winning campaign.