Burton Albion v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/vBurton
HamTown
Not a great endorsement of Williams to have Freestone replace him and have Long out of position

If we don't see Brown I'm starting a riot
Shade
This is nonsense that Long is allowed to carry on. He has a lump on the side his forehead that looks like half a cricket ball sticking out. Sure it's wrapped up but if he heads the ball on that... No way he should be on the pitch. Surely he won't be for long.
Shade
Three times so far Halliwell has tried slagging off individual Cheltenham players for doing something that they didn't, rightfully told he's wrong by Pete Matthews. Now Long is down, what a surprise. Stupid leaving him on. Absolutely obvious he was going to end up going down within 10 minutes when the inevitable concussion kicks in.
Shade
Well done Luke Southwood. Some rare praise. Good penalty save.
Shade
Burton growing in confidence and we just don't seem to have a single player in any kind of form, other than bad. Where has the confidence of those 3 home league wins in a row gone so quickly?
HamTown
Shade wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 14:49 Burton growing in confidence and we just don't seem to have a single player in any kind of form, other than bad. Where has the confidence of those 3 home league wins in a row gone so quickly?
Went with Alfie it seems
Shade
HamTown wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 14:55
Shade wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 14:49 Burton growing in confidence and we just don't seem to have a single player in any kind of form, other than bad. Where has the confidence of those 3 home league wins in a row gone so quickly?
Went with Alfie it seems
True. Think we need Olayinka on. I think he's the only one that might take the game by the scruff of the neck and have some control on the ball. And Brown for either of the front two.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 14:32 Three times so far Halliwell has tried slagging off individual Cheltenham players for doing something that they didn't, rightfully told he's wrong by Pete Matthews. Now Long is down, what a surprise. Stupid leaving him on. Absolutely obvious he was going to end up going down within 10 minutes when the inevitable concussion kicks in.
Could be a blessing in disguise if it means we get players in their proper positions
Alf
We could have Harry Kane and Mo Salah playing up front but if we keep passing the ball across and back when we have an attack opportunity ,they would struggle to score for us as well.
Shade
Come on Wade, we aren't 4 down this week, there's no point in not making sub's as it won't be long until we are behind at this rate. Olayinka for the anonymous Broom. All he has done is give a penalty away.
Shade
Commentators going on about Norton being disappointing, not looking a goal threat...who has?! Norton off for Bonds...Wade doesn't do himself any favours. Unless this somehow works out.
Shade
Honestly wonder if the commentators watch the game sometimes. "Perry booked for kicking the ball against the hoardings, harsh". No, he smashed the ball high and away to the left into the stands in frustration.
Shade
Pfff. This has been such a nothing game I find it hard to even care we are losing, let alone be annoyed or angry about it. There is no passion.
Alf
This is just awful. Total shambles. Really poor performance from Cheltenham. It’s not as though we’re playing a superior team. I feel sorry for the Robins fans who’ve travelled to Burton.
Is Wade Elliott up to this challenge, I’m not sure.
Last edited by Alf on 22 Oct 2022, 16:05, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
Will Wade get to Tuesday? Another "performance" like this on Tuesday and I can't see him getting to next Saturday. I've been pro-patience but even mine is wearing thin.

Confidence is shot, and for no real reason before today. Something isn't right and it just doesn't look like it's going to magically be fixed.
Shade
The kind of Cheltenham crowd reaction there at the end that has often led to a parting of ways with the manager. Lots of people very angrily shouting abuse.
Nesty
NO EFFORT , NO LEADERSHIP.......................
Horteng
Worrying.......
robinsrule
Shocking result and a shocking sounding performance. Our away form is woeful. I’m starting to get quite concerned now.
Nesty
Southwood 7
Long 4 (Wlliams 33'minutes) 6
Taylor 6
Raglan 5
Jackson 6
Sercombe 4
Perry 4 (Olayinka 74mins) 6
Freestone 4
Broom 3 (Brown 75'mins)
N'Lundulu 1
Norton 0 (Bonds 54'mins)

Substitutes unused
16Adshead
19Lloyd
20MacDonald
Shade
4 for Freestone is very harsh. The defence was not the problem today. And Southwood gets 7 pretty much must for his penalty save. He badly dropped a cross a few mins later. That was about all he had to do, really...
HamTown
Shade wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 17:07 4 for Freestone is very harsh. The defence was not the problem today. And Southwood gets 7 pretty much must for his penalty save. He badly dropped a cross a few mins later. That was about all he had to do, really...
Whilst the defence was not the problem it's got to be highlighted that Raglan was the main person to blame for the goal and penalty
Nesty
Shade wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 17:07 4 for Freestone is very harsh. The defence was not the problem today. And Southwood gets 7 pretty much must for his penalty save. He badly dropped a cross a few mins later. That was about all he had to do, really...
Defensively Freestone did ok as a Left sided defender - but struggles as LWB
joes dad
HamTown wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 17:16
Whilst the defence was not the problem it's got to be highlighted that Raglan was the main person to blame for the goal and penalty
Taylor was at fault for the goal and Broom for the penalty.
HamTown
joes dad wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 17:46
HamTown wrote: 22 Oct 2022, 17:16
Taylor was at fault for the goal and Broom for the penalty.
It was the strange slip that meant Broom even needed to make a desperate tackle. I haven't seen the goal again but that near post was Raglans area
Anteros
No sugar coating that... dreadful.
I think the board will stick with wade for as long as possible but the results are one thing but performances like that will not help his cause.
Please minimum of 4 points from the next 2!
Benctfc
I think most people can accept in some games this season we will be outplayed by better opposition but that today was unacceptable. Burton were trash but still better than us.... One thing that isnt acceptable is a lack of effort and today Burton wanted that more. One shot on target against a team bottom of the league is pathetic.

The only way I could describe it for those fortunate to have missed it would be remember what the performances were like at the end of the Yates and Johnson era's and that's what we saw today. Not sure how Wade can turn this around especially now the fans have turned.
Si Robin
The only way he turns it around is 6 points from the next two, and with good performances as well.

That sounded horrific today, and the stats back it up. Like Shade, I'm pro-patience, always have been, but to not even have a go at Burton today was disgraceful.

The only thing he might have going for him - I don't see how anyone could do better with some of the dross he's got at his disposal.
Warwickshire Robin
I find it hugely frustrating that we have shown glimpses this season of being a decent team WHEN WE PLAY AT TEMPO ON THE FRONT FOOT! However for some reason we don't do this often enough and too often seem to play not to lose rather than to win, which just asks for trouble.

I suppose appointing a first time Head Coach is like bringing in young players, they will make mistakes and must learn quickly on the job. The question is, is Wade learning quickly enough to stop this season spiraling down the drain? I guess the next week will go a long way to telling us.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Benctfc
I agree that a lot of this squad are not L1 quality however the style of play and tactics come from the manager and we still don't seem to have any identity. There are number of players who have proved they are good enough at this level yet seem to have regressed or are not being utilised to show their best.
Shade
One thing that has come across very clearly over the last wheel is that Wade is currently far too cautious. The early hammering by Exeter in the cup may have something to do with that, and also last weeks individual error strewn debacle. It explains the super slow build up and lack of risk taking going forward quickly, him saying that they perhaps spent this week focussing too much on how Burton would come at us rather than how we would take the game to them, etc.

There is zero point in being too cautious if you're not good enough to sit back and steal a win, or even a point. All of our best performances this season have been, as said, when we have moved the ball quickly and taken the game to the opposition. No fear. Stop telling the players they're not good enough to go out and take the opposition on. If we lose that way, at least we have given it a go. Not like today where we went and seemed to play for the worlds most dull 0-0. And failed.
CTFC.Harry
The players didn’t turn up at all. Only Freestone, Jackson and Dan contributed to the team. Elliot made a poor decision bringing Bambi on to replace Norton. Perry was poor again today and I thought Broom played like he did any time a L1 team showed interest in him back in the dark days of L2. Can’t put much of the blame on Wade today but it did annoy me that he didn’t set us up to go for the win but also the way he pulled Freestone and Raglan away from the away fans after the game. Lose the support of the few Town fans who travel up and down the country and you’re in trouble.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 23 Oct 2022, 00:47 One thing that has come across very clearly over the last wheel is that Wade is currently far too cautious. The early hammering by Exeter in the cup may have something to do with that, and also last weeks individual error strewn debacle. It explains the super slow build up and lack of risk taking going forward quickly, him saying that they perhaps spent this week focussing too much on how Burton would come at us rather than how we would take the game to them, etc.

There is zero point in being too cautious if you're not good enough to sit back and steal a win, or even a point. All of our best performances this season have been, as said, when we have moved the ball quickly and taken the game to the opposition. No fear. Stop telling the players they're not good enough to go out and take the opposition on. If we lose that way, at least we have given it a go. Not like today where we went and seemed to play for the worlds most dull 0-0. And failed.
Is it Wade or the players? One of the things Duff always used to talk about was the players needing confidence to want the ball in tight areas and look to play forward. When we didn’t play well he used to say the players were not brave enough to do that. When we did play well he said they were brave enough, and if they kept that confidence we would get results.

Wade’s job is to get that confidence up. Remember, last season we went eleven games with no win from late December to February, including losing 5-0 at home to Cambridge and failing to beat the likes of Wimbledon. It was that Sunderland game (thank god they had no manager) which ended the run.
Si Robin
The thing is, during that winless run, we didn't look shockingly poor at any point (aside from the Cambridge defeat).

We drew 7 of the 11 games, took the lead in all of those draws (bar the 0-0 with champions elect, Wigan), and 2 of the other 3 defeats came against, eventual runners up, Rotherham, and just missed out on the playoffs on the last day, Plymouth. One of those draws was a very last minute equaliser from Charlton.

The overriding feeling throughout that run was that the team was good enough, it just needed to start converting the performances into results.

Every game we've lost this season, whilst it hasn't been a hammering (Rovers aside), it's been poor from us. We travelled to bottom of the league Burton and did nothing to put any pressure on them. We didn't play well, and we look devoid of confidence. Wade's job is to get the tactics right and get the players in the right frame of mind for this type of game - to his credit he takes the blame for this in his interview.

I hate chopping and changing managers, I firmly believe stability builds the best teams - but it's hard to see a positive outcome for Wade if we don't win these next two games.