Portsmouth v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 07:20 Im going to comment on two things:

1) the clamour for Elliot to go is understandable but is mainly a few very vocal people on social media. The big question is ‘who would replace him’? Unless the board have someone better lined up it would be extremely foolish to sack a manager. I know our fans all think it’s fantasy football but it isn’t, it’s league one and it’s tough. Unless someone with a proven track record was available and willing (and that does NOT include a punt on an ex player who managed Everton for a fee games) then it’s just nonsense to think our manager should go

2) the bickering between two or three people on this site is embarrassing. Please let it go, and if not admin can we split them up, ban them or tell them off to stop it? It’s literally every thread
Apologies Ben, and others. I post a lot, but half the posts I make are having to deal with two posters who jump to criticise me personally whenever I post. Someone could ask what time kick off is, I could reply with the time, and no doubt the two posters would start laying in to me for some irrelevant reason!
robinsrule
Si Robin wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 18:33
Ihearye wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 18:21
Si Robin wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 17:47 I'm not Wade out, but I really wouldn't be disappointed if he was relieved of his duties.

1 win in 10, no goals in 5 of the last 6 League games, we've not won on a Saturday since the 1st October!!

Thank God we play Derby on a Tuesday night - we've not lost a night game yet (6 wins and 1 draw so far). 14 points out of 25 on a Saturday/afternoon game (Plymouth and Bristol Rovers were 3:00 kickoffs) is disgraceful. There really is no excuse for it.

I'll defend Wade when we play well and lose, I'll defend him if there's some fight, but two weeks in a row we've been 3-0 down at half-time, and we already know he gives up when we're so far behind.
Wind the clock back just a few days and you were telling us, Wade has one job, keep us in League one, and right now he is doing that (mind you that could be said of all the teams). Has his job changed ?
No it hasn't, which is why I'm not calling for his head.

If we were 3 or 4 points adrift I'd be shouting from the rooftops that he has to go.
I don’t know, for me it’s about more than just league position. If our only aim is survival than I’d rather finish 19th while trying to play exciting football, losing a few 3-2 thrillers but at least having a go, than I would to finish 12th playing the way we are this season. Both versions equal survival. I know Peterborough are a better team than us but they bounced back from conceding five at home by scoring five at home in the very next match. We can only dream of results like that!

So the question is, is it better for the club and the fans to be more competitive in League 2? Sure, we can have the odd jolly in League 1 as we have done in the last few years, but is it not more fun as a fan to watch your team win?

The counter-argument is that we want to see Cheltenham take on the bigger glamour teams, but this argument doesn’t really hold water. How many will travel to Derby to see us play there for the first time ever? 500 tops? We will have one of the lowest away followings there this season. We have very close to the worst away support compared to miles travelled (and definitely the worst when you factor in the size of Nailsworth, Fleetwood and Accrington). And I don’t begrudge anyone not going - how many of you actually enjoyed your day out in Portsmouth this weekend?

So my point is what is the point in us being in League 1 if the aim of the board is just to scrape survival by any means? It’s chicken and egg because they know we will never have the fan base. We could give away free tickets and we still wouldn’t fill Whaddon Rd. One week we play well and the fans say we have a good enough squad to compete, the next week we don’t. Could another manager come in and do a better job than Wade? I’m 100% sure the could. But I don’t know if the board have the necessary skills and resources to find, identify and afford the right person.

I would love us to be like Exeter, Lincoln, Shrewsbury or Wycombe, established at this level but with genuine hope of a play off push at the start of every season.

So to return to your point, Si, in a couple of weeks if we keep heading in the same trajectory we will be in the relegation zone and you presumably will be calling for his head too, but nothing will have changed between now and then. And despite saying all of the above, I want us to stay in this league because the thought of going back to the likes of Crawley, Hartlepool and Gillingham makes me want to cry!
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 09:45someone just needs to be able to read and write. They don’t even need to be a CTFC supporter.
Type or even speak into a device, writing no longer needed or relevant.

These days its more nuanced than that :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robinsrule wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 10:00
Si Robin wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 18:33
Ihearye wrote: 25 Feb 2023, 18:21

Wind the clock back just a few days and you were telling us, Wade has one job, keep us in League one, and right now he is doing that (mind you that could be said of all the teams). Has his job changed ?
No it hasn't, which is why I'm not calling for his head.

If we were 3 or 4 points adrift I'd be shouting from the rooftops that he has to go.
I don’t know, for me it’s about more than just league position. If our only aim is survival than I’d rather finish 19th while trying to play exciting football, losing a few 3-2 thrillers but at least having a go, than I would to finish 12th playing the way we are this season. Both versions equal survival. I know Peterborough are a better team than us but they bounced back from conceding five at home by scoring five at home in the very next match. We can only dream of results like that!

So the question is, is it better for the club and the fans to be more competitive in League 2? Sure, we can have the odd jolly in League 1 as we have done in the last few years, but is it not more fun as a fan to watch your team win?

The counter-argument is that we want to see Cheltenham take on the bigger glamour teams, but this argument doesn’t really hold water. How many will travel to Derby to see us play there for the first time ever? 500 tops? We will have one of the lowest away followings there this season. We have very close to the worst away support compared to miles travelled (and definitely the worst when you factor in the size of Nailsworth, Fleetwood and Accrington). And I don’t begrudge anyone not going - how many of you actually enjoyed your day out in Portsmouth this weekend?

So my point is what is the point in us being in League 1 if the aim of the board is just to scrape survival by any means? It’s chicken and egg because they know we will never have the fan base. We could give away free tickets and we still wouldn’t fill Whaddon Rd. One week we play well and the fans say we have a good enough squad to compete, the next week we don’t. Could another manager come in and do a better job than Wade? I’m 100% sure the could. But I don’t know if the board have the necessary skills and resources to find, identify and afford the right person.

I would love us to be like Exeter, Lincoln, Shrewsbury or Wycombe, established at this level but with genuine hope of a play off push at the start of every season.

So to return to your point, Si, in a couple of weeks if we keep heading in the same trajectory we will be in the relegation zone and you presumably will be calling for his head too, but nothing will have changed between now and then. And despite saying all of the above, I want us to stay in this league because the thought of going back to the likes of Crawley, Hartlepool and Gillingham makes me want to cry!
Great post. People will have different views, but for me it is the hope that if we can survive by hook or crook for a few seasons we can start to become established. That’s my hope, that if we become established and start every season knowing we are going to be safely 10th-15th we can play more exciting carefree football.

I’d snap your hand off for 14 0-0 draws in a row now with Southwood holding the ball for 45 mins and kicking it to touch for the other 45!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 10:31
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 09:45someone just needs to be able to read and write. They don’t even need to be a CTFC supporter.

Problem with speaking into a device is I would need to remember to speak out of the right orifice! Especially given how much I post from the bathroom :D
Broadway Brian
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 10:37
SHANDY VOR wrote: 26 Feb 2023, 10:31

Problem with speaking into a device is I would need to remember to speak out of the right orifice! Especially given how much I post from the bathroom :D
Whoa, way too much info RCS