Fleetwood

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

everyman
If as expected we get nothing from our visit to Derby the Fleetwood game becomes even more important.If a team reflects it`s manager/coach we can expect a contrast between Elliott and Brown and their respective teams,with one being passive and negative and the other the complete opposite ?
Si Robin
I think if we lose to Derby and then Fleetwood it really could become toxic at Whaddon Road.
little mo
Si Robin wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 10:57 I think if we lose to Derby and then Fleetwood it really could become toxic at Whaddon Road.
Afraid so Si. As i said on another thread,Fleetwoods last 5 games are won 4 drawn 1 which makes me fearful of this game. Before anyone jumps on me for being "negative", all I am saying is we cannot lose to Fleetwood. (In my opinion).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I do agree losing to Fleetwood would be very damaging however there still 12 games left after Fleetwood so factually and statistically we can lose to them and still have 36 points to play for.

Fleetwood’s recent run is good, but like us, Morecambe, and others in the bottom eight, our good mini runs end and change into bad ones which is why we are where we are. So I live in hope Fleetwood’s run will end on Saturday!

If it does turn toxic it will be a shame; it would be better for the team and our chances if the angry/unhappy fans just stayed away instead in my opinion.
Ihearye
I certainly wont be turning up on saturday expecting a win, bit see no point in booing the team. History has shown it makes no difference. I often wonder does walking off at half time to a deafening silence have as much an impact.
Firm believer that at this point of the season we either sink or swim together. There is no need for a repeat of the Mark Yates fiasco. The good thing is, factually, we may still end up in the running for the play offs
Good video on the echo site of the Stockport trophy journey. Sure to cheer you up
little mo
This mind sound silly,but does anyone else think FGR to beat Accy on Saturday would be a good result?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 12:58 This mind sound silly,but does anyone else think FGR to beat Accy on Saturday would be a good result?
Yes, 100%.

FGR are too far adrift in my opinion (never say never of course as they have enough games) so if they beat our direct rivals then that is good for us.

We need to get to our points total ourselves of course, but if FGR beat our rivals and climb to third or fourth bottom that works in our favour.

The most FGR can get is 59 points. The most Accrington can get is 76 points. The most CTFC can get is 75. So the more points Accrington drop, the better for us.

I’d rather both CTFC and FGR stay up than both go down at the end of the day! (Obviously us up and them down is best).
Robin
little mo wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 12:58 This mind sound silly,but does anyone else think FGR to beat Accy on Saturday would be a good result?
Yes 100%, FGR are as good as down but Accy could still finish above us so ideally they lose every game now or draw to those around us.
paperboy
Derby tomorrow is a total free hit for us so losing no more than maybe 2-0 is ok..ish.

An in form Fleetwood is going to be tough.
They spent big in January on Stockley and Marriott and don't play tomorrow.
Owner Andy Pilley's marathon fraud trial hasn't stopped him digging deep.

https://www.lep.co.uk/news/crime/andy-p ... ts-3991969

Adjourned again for another month too.
little mo
Fleetwood play at Burnley on Wednesday night in F.A cup.
paperboy
little mo wrote: 27 Feb 2023, 19:05 Fleetwood play at Burnley on Wednesday night in F.A cup.
Ah, thanks didn't spot that.
Good news!
Shade
Shame there's little chance of extra time and penalties for them at Burnley!
Malabus
We couldn't beat Accrington or Port Vale at home. Fleetwood and Lincoln are harder challanges.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Jerry St Clair
My six year old has really got into the football this season. I've taken him to about 8 or 9 games and, for the most part, he's loved it. I asked him if he fancied the Fleetwood game: "Ummm........can I take my (Nintendo) Switch with me?".
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Our only hope is one less day for Fleetwood to recover. Wednesday eve to -Saturday afternoon is less than the full three days minimum managers and coaches will say they need.

Hopefully their relative safety in the league means they absolutely bust a gut against Burnley without worrying about leaving anything in the tank for us.
Si Robin
It says something when we're hoping that a team puts in an "after the Lord Mayor's show" performance because we just don't trust our own team to do the job themselves.

I said after we finished the watchalong last night that I live in hope that this week is the week we get it right, that we play the beautiful stuff we saw in the first half against Peterborough all those many months ago, and come away with a comfortable 3-0 victory.

Sadly, that is just a hope now and no longer an expectation.
paperboy
Yes, four points needed from our next two games and hoping we can provide the strikers with more service.
Big chance for Keena to show why we signed him.
He's been bedding in and living off scraps until now.
He's quite strong and uses the ball well outside the penalty area, but he's not speedy or decent in the air so at the moment I'm thinking we should have tried harder to keep Sam Smith who had a decent partnership with Alfie.
Hindsight is wonderful of course.
Ihearye
Think we are asking too much of Keena if we are putting survival on his shoulders. There has been scant evidence that he will get any better service then Alfie. OK he has missed a few lately
Si Robin
I agree - Keena is a project signing and anything we get out of him this season will be a bonus.

The real criticism should be aimed at the people making a project signing instead of someone to do the job now.
everyman
Si Robin wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 09:04 I agree - Keena is a project signing and anything we get out of him this season will be a bonus.

The real criticism should be aimed at the people making a project signing instead of someone to do the job now.
I`m sure the club expected him to score enough goals to help keep us up this season,it was a desperate gamble to spend a club record on someone from a different league/culture who would need time to adjust.
However, if given the service i think he will make a difference this season but who will provide that is another question ?
robinsrule
Well, if he scores a couple of winners (hopefully starting this Saturday) and we stay up, he’ll have more than repaid his fee. I know there were a couple of wonder goals on his highlights reel but to score those he needs to receive the ball in advanced positions and we also have to hope that he is also not suffering a crisis of confidence!
Shade
Fleetwood have had a striker sent off tonight, Cian Hayes. Probably a shame as it looks like he's only scored 1 goal and got 2 assists from 28 appearances this season.
bigdavejambo
Shade wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 20:55 Fleetwood have had a striker sent off tonight, Cian Hayes. Probably a shame as it looks like he's only scored 1 goal and got 2 assists from 28 appearances this season.
that will get overturned as it was extremely harsh
Shade
bigdavejambo wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 20:59
Shade wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 20:55 Fleetwood have had a striker sent off tonight, Cian Hayes. Probably a shame as it looks like he's only scored 1 goal and got 2 assists from 28 appearances this season.
that will get overturned as it was extremely harsh
Oh. Uhh...good then? :lol:
Broadway Brian
He isn’t a starter for them usually but that should mean the others have to work a bit harder.
Shade
Just seen it. Can't see that being overturned. Not a clear and obvious error. Gone chest high and made contact.
CTFCfan99
Unfortunately Marriott and Stockley didn't play for them tonight (guessing cup-tied), so they'll have two strikers who'd walk into any bottom half L1 side fresh and raring to go.
Ihearye
What ???/!!!! get him in :)
robinsrule
Shame it didn’t got to ET but tonight would have been a hell of a workout for Fleetwood so hopefully they’ll be tired on Saturday!
Fuller
CTFCfan99 wrote: 01 Mar 2023, 21:52 Unfortunately Marriott and Stockley didn't play for them tonight (guessing cup-tied), so they'll have two strikers who'd walk into any bottom half L1 side fresh and raring to go.
What we’d do to have two quality forwards like that to come into our team. I heard they paid over half a million for the pair.
Si Robin
Whilst driving to darts last night I had Radio 5 on and they gave a couple of stats about Fleetwood that I haven't verified myself yet - notably, They have won 5 of their last 6 and haven't conceded in any of those 6 games. Note that this was before last night's game against top of the Championship Burnley - who themselves didn't score until the 90th minute!!

Whilst a win is imperative on Saturday, it really isn't going to be easy.
little mo
Si Robin wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 07:59 Whilst driving to darts last night I had Radio 5 on and they gave a couple of stats about Fleetwood that I haven't verified myself yet - notably, They have won 5 of their last 6 and haven't conceded in any of those 6 games. Note that this was before last night's game against top of the Championship Burnley - who themselves didn't score until the 90th minute!!

Read my post at top of this thread Si, this game will be very very difficult to say the least. It is going to take a turn around in form of epic proportions to keep us above the bottom four. We cannot score goals,and without those,you cannot win. Simples.
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 07:59 Whilst driving to darts last night I had Radio 5 on and they gave a couple of stats about Fleetwood that I haven't verified myself yet - notably, They have won 5 of their last 6 and haven't conceded in any of those 6 games. Note that this was before last night's game against top of the Championship Burnley - who themselves didn't score until the 90th minute!!

Just had a look myself and if you take the League results then they have won 4 of the last 5 following a 3-2 home defeat by Burton (they also beat Sheff Wed 1-0 in the FA Cup to make up the 5 of 6 stat). Three of the wins were 1-0 home victories against Morecambe, Cambridge & Peterborough. They also won 2-1 at Charlton and drew 0-0 at Plymouth.

So whilst their form is good and they will obviously be confident, they aren't exactly blowing teams away and the fixtures have been relatively soft, Peterborough being very inconsistent at the moment, Plymouth away being the exception but we just drew there in the Trophy. So in normal times they still shouldn't be too daunting, however these aren't normal times for us with our current run of dreadful form.
Si Robin
Is there a softer team to play than us at the moment?
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 10:08 Is there a softer team to play than us at the moment?
nope, though I do think a few goals will do wonders for the mentality of the whole team and we will step up a few levels, its just getting those 'few' goals though.