Next season's 11 (as it stands)

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jim
Bit bored waiting for preseason to get going so thought I'd work out what our 11 looks like as things stand. Might try to update as players come in or leave... (assuming Jacko and Sercs stick around)

Harris,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Bradbury,
Long,
Jackson,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Goodwin

Not great but really highlights the mess we could be in without Sercombe and Jackson signing on, would leave lots of work to do.
Anteros
I think that 11 is a solid base and if added to with some quality and competition for places then I would be optimistic.
Only issue is, like you said, will sercs and Jacko resign?
Also what happens if there are offers for freestone, bonds and Keena? Then it changes everything.....
Jim
I agree its not too bad as a starting point, but currently there's no other GK, no CBs other than those 3... bench would be Sambu, Williams, Chapman, Adshead, Lloyd?

I'm totally behind the club's approach of developing young players and selling them on, but does that mean we'd sell Ferry, Bonds and Freestone if good bids came in this summer? We'd be done if so!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Amazing insight in the OP. Maybe pass the intelligence on to Wade and the Board.
Jim
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 22:38 Amazing insight in the OP. Maybe pass the intelligence on to Wade and the Board.
Just thinking about the state of play with the idea to update the thread as the squad changes... take a day off 😂
HamTown
Jim wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 06:41
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 22:38 Amazing insight in the OP. Maybe pass the intelligence on to Wade and the Board.
Just thinking about the state of play with the idea to update the thread as the squad changes... take a day off 😂
Think he's just bitter he didn't start the thread to reply to for the next 2 months

As you say it does highlight the need for Jackson and Sercs to sign on. On paper that does look like a team that would be challenging for promotion from league 2 so doesn't seem a million miles away, just hope there's no one leaving from that list. Although think Olayinka and Goodwin would benefit from loans
Jim
HamTown wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 10:25
Jim wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 06:41
Think he's just bitter he didn't start the thread to reply to for the next 2 months

As you say it does highlight the need for Jackson and Sercs to sign on. On paper that does look like a team that would be challenging for promotion from league 2 so doesn't seem a million miles away, just hope there's no one leaving from that list. Although think Olayinka and Goodwin would benefit from loans
I agree, I think that team could put up a fight in league 1 but would probably go down unless the likes of Olayinka and Goodwin see huge progress like we've seen with Freestone and Bonds.

However, lose Sercs and Jackson and we're looking at Sambu and Chapman in that 11...
Fuller
I’d expect us to sign five new players on contracts plus the usual five loans. And that’s allowing for Jackson and Sercombe re-signing.
So plenty of time to get the squad up to strength, even allowing for the disruption caused by the MM departure.
Mind you preseason training will probably start in about three weeks time, and it’s always good to have new signings in early.
Jim
So with news Jacko is definitely off, it's looking like:

Harris,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Bradbury,
Long,
Sambu,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Goodwin

Perhaps Horton could come in with Longy at RWB, but either way more work to be done by Mr Milton now.

Expect I'll add Street to this sometime tomorrow.
Shade
What's the bench looking like? :)
Robin
Jim wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 20:28 So with news Jacko is definitely off, it's looking like:

Harris,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Bradbury,
Long,
Sambu,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Goodwin

Perhaps Horton could come in with Longy at RWB, but either way more work to be done by Mr Milton now.

Horton is on loan in Ireland, I would be surprised if we recall him. Disappointed to read Jackson is leaving means we need to sign two right wing backs now, presumably one on loan and one permanent development player I'd imagine.
Fuller
Jim wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 20:28 So with news Jacko is definitely off, it's looking like:

Harris,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Bradbury,
Long,
Sambu,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Goodwin

Mucho work to be done. I reckon only six of those are nailed on first team regulars. Five new signings and five quality loans required.
Jim
Robin wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 20:57

Harris,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Bradbury,
Long,
Sambu,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Goodwin

Horton is on loan in Ireland, I would be surprised if we recall him. Disappointed to read Jackson is leaving means we need to sign two right wing backs now, presumably one on loan and one permanent development player I'd imagine.
True, I'd forgotten he's still in Ireland.

I agree, our best chance is to get a promising loan in. Very very long shot as he was on loan in the Championship last season, but Kesler-Hayden at villa would be perfect. But his loan at Huddersfield was a disaster and he spent the 2nd half of the season in the U21s...

Then maybe pick up a development player too. Is it too much to ask for a right-sided Will Ferry??
1985CTFC
The problem with us. being one of the smaller clubs is. if we get a spate of injuries to key players, which can happen straight out the blue. we probably don't have quality in numbers to cover like the big boys in this league do. If Bonds gets injured who is our holding player. Chapman ?
We need some versatile players who can do a job in 3 or 4 positions. Maybe 2 or even 3 such players.
I think in defence you need 2 players who can do a job when called upon in an emergency. Only one right footer at the moment ..Long. Make a note Russ!!
Fuller
Chapman not even mentioned in the list above.
Ok we’ve got seven weeks or so to sort it but the squad looks woefully weak in terms of experience.
No doubt a few trialists at training next week and apart from Street it could well be a while before we see anymore permanent signings.
It’s the “Cheltenham Thing.”
Si Robin
Chapman doesn't get in ahead of the 3 midfielders Jim has mentioned, hence his name not being in the list.

To be honest, I shudder at the thought of seeing Chapman in a Cheltenham shirt again.
Jim
Si Robin wrote: 23 Jun 2023, 06:59 Chapman doesn't get in ahead of the 3 midfielders Jim has mentioned, hence his name not being in the list.

To be honest, I shudder at the thought of seeing Chapman in a Cheltenham shirt again.
Exactly, but if Sercs doesn't sign (although it sounds a done deal) then he could appear...! Hmm actually i'd go for Adshead in as the 8 rather than Chapman. Either way it's not an inspiring midfield without Sercs in there.

Loads of time to go, but work to be done. Preseason starts on Monday so the more we can get through the door in the next couple of weeks the better.

Playing it out and seeing our options I'm more and more in favour of Taylor Perry coming back on a permanent. There's a player there if he can find the right role (still not sure whether he's a 6,8 or 10 tbh!).
Si Robin
I agree on Perry - I think he's a 10 myself, he just wasn't given the opportunity enoug
shevates

Harris,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Bradbury,
Long,
Sambu,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Goodwin
Between those eleven last season they made a total of 256 appearances of which 51 were from the bench. Those eleven scored 12 goals of which Keena contributed with 6 exactly half. As for assists a total of just 13.

Its not good reading in my eyes, RM has a testing time in front of him, which I think were all, or mostly all are aware of. We are short in all departments, were short of good quality. Go get them Russ quality,
Jim
Yerrrs with Curtis in I can update this thread again!

Harris,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Davies,
Long,
Sambu,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Goodwin

I know Street is done and dusted but will hold off until he's wearing the shirt. Bench I guess looks like:

Bradbury
Williams
Chapman
Adshead
Lloyd
ctfc-fan
Jim wrote:Yerrrs with Curtis in I can update this thread again!

Harris,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Davies,
Long,
Sambu,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Goodwin

I know Street is done and dusted but will hold off until he's wearing the shirt. Bench I guess looks like:

Bradbury
Williams
Chapman
Adshead
Lloyd
Why no May?
joes dad
Has Sercombe signed yet?
Shade
joes dad wrote: 27 Jun 2023, 16:23 Has Sercombe signed yet?
According to JP, yes, as has Street, but no official announcements on either from the club yet.
Jim
ctfc-fan wrote: 27 Jun 2023, 16:21
Jim wrote:Yerrrs with Curtis in I can update this thread again!

Harris,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Davies,
Long,
Sambu,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Goodwin

Bradbury
Williams
Chapman
Adshead
Lloyd
Why no May?
Fair, I guess using the rule of 'what would the team be if we played tomorrow' he would be in the 11.
Jim
He's here - Pardington!

Harris,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Davies,
Long,
Sambu,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Goodwin

Bench:

Pardington
Bradbury
Williams
Chapman
Adshead
Lloyd

I'm assuming like a lot of people seem to be, that it will be Pardington who goes out on loan, and Max stays on as number 2... We've nearly got a full bench to choose from!
Last edited by Jim on 29 Jun 2023, 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
asl
This time last year, it felt like we had about six players to choose from, so things are looking a lot better!
Jim
asl wrote: 29 Jun 2023, 13:28 This time last year, it felt like we had about six players to choose from, so things are looking a lot better!
You're not wrong! A first choice RWB and Street confirmed and the first 11 and bench will be looking pretty strong. We'll need a few more for the squad on top of that, but we're in a pretty decent spot this year. Hopefully won't need a scramble for players on 31 August this season!
Jim
Jim wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 21:10
Robin wrote: 22 Jun 2023, 20:57

Harris,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Bradbury,
Long,
Sambu,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Goodwin

True, I'd forgotten he's still in Ireland.

I agree, our best chance is to get a promising loan in. Very very long shot as he was on loan in the Championship last season, but Kesler-Hayden at villa would be perfect. But his loan at Huddersfield was a disaster and he spent the 2nd half of the season in the U21s...

Then maybe pick up a development player too. Is it too much to ask for a right-sided Will Ferry??
Scrap that, he's gone to Plymouth for the season :lol:

Ingram from WBA seems to be the option most have suggested, but leaves us without much experience in that position.
1985CTFC
I wonder if we will go for a Jacko type experienced player. Worked well last year and mentor any young backup players. Starbuck it says can play midfield as well as RWB.
Jim
Finally, we can add young Rob into the mix:

Harris,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Davies,
Long,
Sambu,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Street

Bench:

Pardington
Bradbury
Williams
Chapman
Adshead
Lloyd
Goodwin

Only desperate 1st team gaps now are a 1st choice GK (Southwood!!), and at least one RWB.
Jim
With the news finally confirmed that Southwood has signed on for another year, we can update:

Southwood,
Ferry,
Freestone,
Davies,
Long,
Sambu,
Bonds,
Sercombe,
Olayinka,
Keena,
Street

Bench:

Harris
Bradbury
Williams
Chapman
Adshead
Lloyd
Goodwin

4 of the back 6 the same as last season, which is great for continuity. Just one first team hole really now to fill. Be interesting to see if this trialist Smith signs on, and if he'll be the first choice RWB, or a squad option. Bear in mind the above includes zero loans...
Warwickshire Robin
That's looking pretty strong considering still nearly a month to go to kick off. As you say RWB is the glaring issue left to solve and I would like to see some stronger depth in midfield but assume that will be via loan.

Excitement building now!
Jim
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 11 Jul 2023, 14:48 That's looking pretty strong considering still nearly a month to go to kick off. As you say RWB is the glaring issue left to solve and I would like to see some stronger depth in midfield but assume that will be via loan.

Excitement building now!
Totally agree, I think the bench looks pretty weak, not sure I want to rely too much on Chapman and the jury is still out on Adshead. Be interesting to see how this trialist gets on tonight, he could be one of the RWB options we need. Not sure if the other two trialists are about the squad seeing as they weren't involved in the Evesham game which seems odd if they are.
Robin
The bench looks very weak to me, hopefully we can improve it over the coming weeks with loans down the spine of the team to add depth.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Bench not too bad…
Harris is next season’s number 1.
Bradbury has done well starting.
Williams we know is Ferry’s rotation.
Goodwin is Street’s rotation and will kick on imo.
Adshead we don’t know because of injury but the podcast boys think he will be much improved and has potential.
Chapman and Lloyd weak, even with confidence from their loan spells.

We need to prioritise right wing backs and a new centre mid starter, and centre mid rotation for Bonds. I expect we will see loans for those midfield positions.