Former players

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Broadway Brian wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 23:18
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 20:33
Fuller wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 20:27 Taylor Perry scores for Shrewsbury at Leeds tonight.
Good player. Unfairly criticised by some CTFC fans.
May be a good player but was poor for us last season. Played more than he should. Poor on the ball and worse off it.

Mind you, looked like Pele on Saturday against our midfield.
That's strange, I thought he was as anonymous as he was for us last season.
Haitch
Shade wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 00:35
Broadway Brian wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 23:18
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 09 Aug 2023, 20:33

Good player. Unfairly criticised by some CTFC fans.
May be a good player but was poor for us last season. Played more than he should. Poor on the ball and worse off it.

Mind you, looked like Pele on Saturday against our midfield.
That's strange, I thought he was as anonymous as he was for us last season.
Pele is pushing it, he certainly had a bigger impact for them than he ever did for us, admittedly i had a small soft spot for him but that was when he used to come on in the 80th odd minute and with fresh legs looked okay(ish).
asl
I didn't understand why people
people at Shrewsbury were booing him. Winchester, I could sort of understand, even if I didn't agree with the sentiment - but what had Perry done??
Si Robin
I wasn't there, but I imagine the implication is that he was visual manifestation of Micky Moore and co. leaving to go there.

I disagree with booing him by the way - and I'm over Winchester, but again I get it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 07:49 I didn't understand why people
people at Shrewsbury were booing him. Winchester, I could sort of understand, even if I didn't agree with the sentiment - but what had Perry done??
You and I will not understand as we are not hard, we are not big, and we are not clever.

As a result we rightly miss out on the big and clever conversation on the train home….

“Fockin ey mush *sniff sniff* every fockin time that fockin c_nt Perry got the ball we fockin booed him the fockin c_nt and that fockin Mickey Moore.”

Etc etc
Broadway Brian
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 08:19
You and I will not understand as we are not hard, we are not big, and we are not clever.

As a result we rightly miss out on the big and clever conversation on the train home….

“Fockin ey mush *sniff sniff* every fockin time that fockin c_nt Perry got the ball we fockin booed him the fockin c_nt and that fockin Mickey Moore.”

Etc etc
Says the fella that calls Winchester names every time he is mentioned.

How’s that ivory tower of yours?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Broadway Brian wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 09:01

Etc etc

Winchester left us for money to join our rivals (at the time) and slagged off the club when doing so, so will always be known as a snake. Same way fans always remember the Bouldings and Ashley Grimes.

Not sure how that is relevant to Perry.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 09:56

Etc etc

Winchester left us for money to join our rivals (at the time) and slagged off the club when doing so, so will always be known as a snake. Same way fans always remember the Bouldings and Ashley Grimes.

Have always thought there are two ways for a player to leave CTFC, the McCann way or the Duff way.
Si Robin

Etc etc

Whilst Winchester left to join FGR for the coin, I don't recall him slagging off the club at all. In fact, he refused to be photographed in an FGR shirt until his contract with us expired, and even when pushed to say something about Cheltenham in a radio interview - he was nothing but polite and gracious about his time at the club.

Kevin Dawson on the other hand...
Broadway Brian

Etc etc

Just flagging the hypocrisy of your own churlish behaviour as you, yet again, judge others.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Broadway Brian wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 10:44

Just flagging the hypocrisy of your own churlish behaviour as you, yet again, judge others.
Does hypocrisy apply if the two situations are not the same/not comparable?
Shade
Anyway...

Taylor Perry scored for Shrewsbury at Leeds last night. Who'd have thunk it.

(an aside, with them being my second team, it's odd that Leeds 2nd and 3rd games were/will be against Shrewsbury and Birmingham. I wonder how often a team a league apart have faced the same opposition in consecutive games like that due to the quirks of a cup draw. The Leeds scout no doubt has some nice useless knowledge about how CTFC play now :lol:)
Malabus
Shade wrote: 10 Aug 2023, 14:43 Anyway...

Taylor Perry scored for Shrewsbury at Leeds last night. Who'd have thunk it.

(an aside, with them being my second team, it's odd that Leeds 2nd and 3rd games were/will be against Shrewsbury and Birmingham. I wonder how often a team a league apart have faced the same opposition in consecutive games like that due to the quirks of a cup draw. The Leeds scout no doubt has some nice useless knowledge about how CTFC play now :lol:)
Nice goal too.
Fuller
Joe Rodon - Spurs to Leeds, season long loan.
Oldun
Salisbury have scored 3 goals in their two games and all accredited to Sido Jombati!
paperboy
Former defenders Boyle and Hussey find at least finding the right net in Wrexham v Walsall.
Jordan Cranston for Hereford too.
Eisa brothers both scoring in L2 plus Tav Campbell for Wealdstone.
cliffy90
Jerry Gill's Bath City side were thumped 6-2 at home to Weston-super-Mare.
asl
Jordan Cranston scored from the spot for the only goal for Hereford.
paperboy
...and you know who didn't score for Charlton..again.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 22:23 ...and you know who didn't score for Charlton..again.
Feet up for Alfie. He got his move home.
1985CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 22:33
paperboy wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 22:23 ...and you know who didn't score for Charlton..again.
Getting quite a few pelters from Charlton supporters!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 22:51
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 15 Aug 2023, 22:33
Getting quite a few pelters from Charlton supporters!!
They’ll be less tolerant than CTFC fans. It was never the done thing here to criticise Alfie for his frequent and numerous one-on-ones and sitters missed and we were happy enough he only scored after Christmas. A team with promotion ambitions demands more.

I guess Charlton fans had only seem clips of games like Peterborough, and not games like Accrington. Speaking of pelters, I got quite a few pelters on here after criticising Alfie’s missed sitters against Accrington - I imagine at Charlton it would be the other way round.
asl
Alfie May off the mark with a penalty.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 14:28 Alfie May off the mark with a penalty.
Do penalties count on the Nest or not? Depends on whether it’s a player people like or not.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Tozer and Boyle being found out at home today; 3-5 down to Swindon.

I guess Tozer is a few years older after his spell in non-league, and Boyle hasn’t played for a season so pace and sharpness will be suffering.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 15:51 Tozer and Boyle being found out at home today; 3-5 down to Swindon.

I guess Tozer is a few years older after his spell in non-league, and Boyle hasn’t played for a season so pace and sharpness will be suffering.
Boyle and pace not two words you see in the same sentence too often. Unless preceded by done for
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 15:57
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 19 Aug 2023, 15:51 Tozer and Boyle being found out at home today; 3-5 down to Swindon.

Boyle and pace not two words you see in the same sentence too often. Unless preceded by done for
:lol: Well put
Shade
I have no facts to back this up but Tozer and Boyle were only ever any good when they had Duff as their manager.
plymrob
Ilkeston Town & Nathan Tyson... New manager just before the start of the season... the guy who was mugged-off at his previous club who were then doing well (- for part Covid reasons ahead of a good FA Cup draw). Then Leroy Lita moved on too, with others... Happily they've given Nathan a gig and he's still creating and scoring...

https://www.thenpl.co.uk/match-info/tables

Understandably there were low supporter expectations at the start of the season... but doing great... Away at FC United this weekend.

Obviously still only one (+ one other non-league club) for me...if allowed? Chelt first and Il'son second...Hard times when working with Plymouth City Council for 25years... (and forced to be pictured with the League Two trophy back in the late 1990s). But one has stay loyal. Uni at Sheffield - Bramell Lane once. Worked in Liverpool, and stood on the standing Kop once. Worked and met my ex in Soton. Dell once - but St Mary's once with Chelt. Ilson was safe... different leagues, but then that one season -v- Chelt; home and away. Both Chelt wins...!

At Plymouth - only go there for Chelt (and, so far, once Derby). And yes...Chelt's record -v- Plymouth is shocking...
Pie
plymrob wrote:Ilkeston Town & Nathan Tyson... New manager just before the start of the season... the guy who was mugged-off at his previous club who were then doing well (- for part Covid reasons ahead of a good FA Cup draw). Then Leroy Lita moved on too, with others... Happily they've given Nathan a gig and he's still creating and scoring...

https://www.thenpl.co.uk/match-info/tables

Understandably there were low supporter expectations at the start of the season... but doing great... Away at FC United this weekend.

Obviously still only one (+ one other non-league club) for me...if allowed? Chelt first and Il'son second...Hard times when working with Plymouth City Council for 25years... (and forced to be pictured with the League Two trophy back in the late 1990s). But one has stay loyal. Uni at Sheffield - Bramell Lane once. Worked in Liverpool, and stood on the standing Kop once. Worked and met my ex in Soton. Dell once - but St Mary's once with Chelt. Ilson was safe... different leagues, but then that one season -v- Chelt; home and away. Both Chelt wins...!

At Plymouth - only go there for Chelt (and, so far, once Derby). And yes...Chelt's record -v- Plymouth is shocking...
Similar boat to me.
Born and bred Cheltenham, and followed through thick and thin, from 98 and then home and away during the late 2000’s.
Then moved down to the Duchy 6 years ago and started following Truro, loosely.

Unfortunately, I’ve also had a soft spot for Salisbury as used to go there a lot to see my great grandad.

Hoping to start going to a few Truro games this season.
plymrob
Maybe Salisbury - Chelt on their old park ground? Definately Salisbury - Ilkeston on their 'out of town' ground. Never done Truro. My gathering is that Wooton (now Truro manager) is maybe not all that loved here... although he was part (skipper?) of Plymouth's League Two winning team. (There was a run-in with a younger player - who I think later also played for Chelt).

Just in case... please notice how this is both football and Cheltenham (x2) related... Just! And thanks Pie
Pie
Well Sido is at Salisbury, so keeping it on topic.
Truro currently have Pardington on loan too.

Yeh, I believe Wooton isn’t liked too much over the bridge, can’t wait for Truro to actually return and play in the Duchy rather than in Plymouth.
Artemis
Aaron Ramsey. Villa to Burnley.....£14 million.

Distinctly underwhelming here.
Fuller
Jake Doyle-Hayes in the Hibs team beaten 0-5 by Villa in the Euro conference league earlier.
Pie
Artemis wrote:Aaron Ramsey. Villa to Burnley.....£14 million.

Distinctly underwhelming here.
Thought in his second stint, after his injury, he showed just what people were raving about.
Completely tore The Championship open last season.