Cheltenham Town v Northampton Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Elvereater
nitram82 wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 16:21 450 minutes without a goal tells you we aren’t anywhere near attacking enough. We’re not even unlucky not to have scored which is very alarming.
12 shots on goal in 450 mins aint going to win SFA.
Malabus
Dysfunctional and a club in crisis.

Emergency meeting must now happen first thing Monday morning.
art vandalay
I bought a golden goal ticket and it said ‘November’.
Shade
It's actually quite amusing seeing so many people online getting so wound up after 4 league games with the transfer window still open and with 5 attacking players injured. They seem to think the club should be able to s#!t gold.
Benctfc
Shade wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 21:33 It's actually quite amusing seeing so many people online getting so wound up after 4 league games with the transfer window still open and with 5 attacking players injured. They seem to think the club should be able to s#!t gold.
We had our first choice front two available all season so lets not make out like we have had youth players playing up front. Injuries haven't helped with squad depth but it isn't an excuse to use in my opinion. Given we have played around 600 minutes of football this season and haven't looked like scoring a goal i think it's quite reasonable for people to be pissed off.
art vandalay
We probably also had our first choice midfield as well. Most of the players missing would certainly make our bench stronger, and I’m very disappointed that Lloyd got injured after a good pre-season, but on the evidence of what they have previously achieved when in the team, I fail to see how the likes of Lloyd, Goodwin and Olayinka would have made a substantial difference to our start.
Ben3
Malabus wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 20:21 Dysfunctional and a club in crisis.

Emergency meeting must now happen first thing Monday morning.
The clowns are off again with their nonsense. Just beware, ye clowns, that some people pick it up and run with it as it’s common sense

Mal - we know you know. But people reading it don’t know. And they repeat it on Facebook etc and think it’s real (rather than the joke we all know it is!)
Si Robin
Positives from yesterday:

- Elliott Bonds was back much sooner than anyone expected.
- We still look relatively sound defensively

That's it - those are the only positives. Everything else about the game was a disaster. There was no creativity whatsoever, and when we did have an opportunity we either blasted it a mile over the bar, or completely s#!t our pants.

A blind person can see how desperate we are for a creative midfielder, but that doesn't hide the fact that one or two players are not pulling their weight - I'm looking at you Aidan Keena!!

And the ref was baffling - I can't call him bad for us because he could very easily have given Northampton 3 penalties - but this multiball thing is an absolute joke. In the first half, the Northampton player grabs the ball off the cone and restarts the game really quickly, in the second half, Longy tries to do the exact same thing (with the ball from the same cone) and the ref makes him get the ball that went out of play!! This is what pisses fans off - the inconsistency in decisions.
Broadway Brian
I thought he was consistent with the multiball system tbh. Consistently baffling.

He definitely insisted on them also using the original ball as opposed to the coned ball in the first half, but then let it go at times.

You’d think he’d explain his interpretation of the system to the captains beforehand.

Anyway, that was only a small distraction from a tough watch yesterday. Quality and execution of any gameplan / patterns is non-existent at the moment.

We’re carrying no threat whatsoever, and I’d ask for a refund from our set-piece coach watching on in the CF.

Broom (who I am no real fan of at all) is proving a bigger miss than Alfie at the moment. A CAM to play between the lines is paramount - life is just too easy for the oppo without one.
Benctfc
It is quite obvious at the moment that the link between strikers and midfielders is non existent. Every game i have seen this season we appear to always have a massive gap between the midfield 3 and the 2 up top. There always seems to be a massive gap between the two blocks and no one linking the play. Disappointing that the management team haven't imrpoved this or found a way to improve it. Yesterday presumably Sercombe was our CAM yet barely left our own half. It needs someone like a Callum Wright to find the pockets of space between the lines even if that means less tracking back defensively.

As others have said Broom was no more than average for us last season but would offer a lot to this team at the moment which says it all.
shevates
I find that statement bizzare Broom is missed more than May, 5 games no goals, and very few shots at goal. I totally understand what you mean regarding Broom, but youd rather Broom in this current squad than May ?
1985CTFC
Si Robin wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 07:37 Positives from yesterday:

- Elliott Bonds was back much sooner than anyone expected.
- We still look relatively sound defensively

That's it - those are the only positives. Everything else about the game was a disaster. There was no creativity whatsoever, and when we did have an opportunity we either blasted it a mile over the bar, or completely s#!t our pants.

A blind person can see how desperate we are for a creative midfielder, but that doesn't hide the fact that one or two players are not pulling their weight - I'm looking at you Aidan Keena!!

And the ref was baffling - I can't call him bad for us because he could very easily have given Northampton 3 penalties - but this multiball thing is an absolute joke. In the first half, the Northampton player grabs the ball off the cone and restarts the game really quickly, in the second half, Longy tries to do the exact same thing (with the ball from the same cone) and the ref makes him get the ball that went out of play!! This is what pisses fans off - the inconsistency in decisions.
Interesting you mention the ref. Northampton forum mentioned the ref had refereed 4 previous of our games. 2draws 2 defeats!!! Now 3 defeats. He is a hoodoo ref!!!!
Robin
Benctfc wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 08:45 It is quite obvious at the moment that the link between strikers and midfielders is non existent. Every game i have seen this season we appear to always have a massive gap between the midfield 3 and the 2 up top. There always seems to be a massive gap between the two blocks and no one linking the play. Disappointing that the management team haven't imrpoved this or found a way to improve it. Yesterday presumably Sercombe was our CAM yet barely left our own half. It needs someone like a Callum Wright to find the pockets of space between the lines even if that means less tracking back defensively.

As others have said Broom was no more than average for us last season but would offer a lot to this team at the moment which says it all.
Bonds was playing that role in the first half and was completely and utterly lost. Sercombe I thought was the only midfielder who tried to drive us forward, Thompson wanted to sit and shield the defence but offered us absolutely zero going forward. I'd actually like two midfielders in this week the more I think about it, one who wants the ball like Pack and one to play behind the front two and who will run at players. Then add a striker or two.
Jerry St Clair
Broadway Brian wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 07:49 Broom (who I am no real fan of at all) is proving a bigger miss than Alfie at the moment. A CAM to play between the lines is paramount - life is just too easy for the oppo without one.
Are you not worried that, even with a CAM, we’d bypass him anyway? We seem incapable of playing any other way than long into the channels. Broom was isolated in the rare games he played CAM last season.
Broadway Brian
Jerry St Clair wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 12:27
Broadway Brian wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 07:49 Broom (who I am no real fan of at all) is proving a bigger miss than Alfie at the moment. A CAM to play between the lines is paramount - life is just too easy for the oppo without one.
Are you not worried that, even with a CAM, we’d bypass him anyway? We seem incapable of playing any other way than long into the channels. Broom was isolated in the rare games he played CAM last season.
Clearly if a CAM was in place, we’d need to play the though them. Not sure if we’re going long as a reaction to the players available or as a pro active tactic.

But someone working between the lines would hopefully at least keep the opposition honest and give them something to think about - on and off the ball. Leonard had the freedom of Cheltenham for 90 minutes yesterday - no need for any defensive side to his game.

To answer your question though - yes, I’d be worried that a CAM would be bypassed.

Have we brought Tony Pulis in as an advisor? Lewis is turning into Ryan Shawcross the second coming with his diagonals from the corner of our box to the corner of theirs.
Malabus
Alessia Russo in the crowd.
tieng viet online
Robin
Who is that Mal?
Malabus
Robin wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 17:54Who is that Mal?
England forward.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessia_Russo
PCrobin
She must have been disappointed with the standard of the forward play. Any chance we could sign her up?! 😉
Swiss-Robin
PCrobin wrote: 27 Aug 2023, 18:30 She must have been disappointed with the standard of the forward play. Any chance we could sign her up?! 😉
She's in with the Northants fans. Guy standing up has their away shirt on.
Maybe they've signed her up already?
Ihearye
I thought we were looking at Jimmy saville
Carthorse Ted
paperboy wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 16:25 Could we do an exchange deal with Glos City-
Keena for Danny Wright ?
..or get Julian Alsop or Jason White in.😉

I'm free!

Just hope the injury list improves, if not the players. :geek:
everyman
asl wrote: 26 Aug 2023, 13:31 Sat in the car on Whaddon Road, sitting out one of those 'biblical' storms we hear about...
Malabus was in his element :lol:
Mike1953
Positives for me were the welcome earlier return of Elliot; the continuing outstanding (captain-like) performances of Lewis; the very promising start from Luciano and the cultured performances of Curtis Davies. Was he playing CF in the final few minutes?
Playmeuptop
Very disappointing second half and difficult to find any positives for all I was impressed with D’Henry first half but other than his chance , he totally fell out the game second, I’m hoping it’s just a fitness thing with the step up from U20s. Ferry looked more effective through middle of park. Davis was good but let’s not forget that’s one of the so called weaker sides in the league.

Hopefully once the injured player’s return and we bring in a striker the competition for places will raise performance levels. Not sure the system is working , call me old fashioned but I like 4-4–2
Robin
Playmeuptop wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 14:45 Very disappointing second half and difficult to find any positives for all I was impressed with D’Henry first half but other than his chance , he totally fell out the game second, I’m hoping it’s just a fitness thing with the step up from U20s. Ferry looked more effective through middle of park. Davis was good but let’s not forget that’s one of the so called weaker sides in the league.

Hopefully once the injured player’s return and we bring in a striker the competition for places will raise performance levels. Not sure the system is working , call me old fashioned but I like 4-4–2
Nobody plays that formation anymore and we don't have hte players for it either.
HamTown
I'd like us to play more 343, shame Goodwin got injured but if Peupion can play winger as well he should be able to be pushed further up. I also think King albeit very young would at least be a nuisance pressing in the last 20 mins or so
longmover
HamTown wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 16:25 I'd like us to play more 343, shame Goodwin got injured but if Peupion can play winger as well he should be able to be pushed further up. I also think King albeit very young would at least be a nuisance pressing in the last 20 mins or so
he should have replaced Keena on Saturday, just to say ‘buck your ideas up pal’
HamTown
longmover wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 17:43
HamTown wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 16:25 I'd like us to play more 343, shame Goodwin got injured but if Peupion can play winger as well he should be able to be pushed further up. I also think King albeit very young would at least be a nuisance pressing in the last 20 mins or so
The ever present Wade out club would be sharpening their knives if that happened
longmover
HamTown wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 18:07
longmover wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 17:43
The ever present Wade out club would be sharpening their knives if that happened
at least May would go and find the ball if things weren't happening for him, Keena just idles around and does nothing.
longmover
Most games (at home) we have a purple patch where we're untouchable (normally) for about then minutes, this happened in the 2nd on Saturday, Northampton realised this and 5hit housed their way out of it by outfield players feigning injury and their keeper wasting time with goal kicks This took all the wind out of sails and we then reverted to type. Northampton seized this moment made three changes and went on to win, we made two changes at 90+ minutes.

outmanaged.
kags
longmover wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 19:28 Most games (at home) we have a purple patch where we're untouchable (normally) for about then minutes, this happened in the 2nd on Saturday, Northampton realised this and 5hit housed their way out of it by outfield players feigning injury and their keeper wasting time with goal kicks This took all the wind out of sails and we then reverted to type. Northampton seized this moment made three changes and went on to win, we made two changes at 90+ minutes.

outmanaged.
Not much Wade could have done, nothing on the bench to change a game. Injuries mounting, albeit if we are hoping for the likes of Chapman, Olayinka and Lloyd to come on and change games, we can't expect much.
HamTown
longmover wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 19:28 Most games (at home) we have a purple patch where we're untouchable (normally) for about then minutes, this happened in the 2nd on Saturday, Northampton realised this and 5hit housed their way out of it by outfield players feigning injury and their keeper wasting time with goal kicks This took all the wind out of sails and we then reverted to type. Northampton seized this moment made three changes and went on to win, we made two changes at 90+ minutes.

outmanaged.
I don't know the state of Northampton's squad but I'm sure they had more options than we did to change the game. Sticking your LB as No.10 and CD upfront highlights just how much Wade's hands were tied
longmover
HamTown wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 20:05

outmanaged.
I don't know the state of Northampton's squad but I'm sure they had more options than we did to change the game. Sticking your LB as No.10 and CD upfront highlights just how much Wade's hands were tied
He could have bought on King (a striker) or seen Northampton were housing and made changes to freshen things up.
Shade
longmover wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 20:27
HamTown wrote: 28 Aug 2023, 20:05

outmanaged.
He could have bought on King (a striker) or seen Northampton were housing and made changes to freshen things up.
A 5ft nothing 16 year old striker who was just there to fill the bench in case we got any further injuries to the two senior fit attacking players in the squad. Not really an option, was he.