Exeter City v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Very very tough situation.

Apart from players returning to fitness there is very little which can be physically changed apart from the manager.

I like Wade and still back him and want him to stay and turn it around. However, we are at the point where we are relying on something more metaphysical and mental to change; confidence or luck or something.

If the Board decide making a physical change is needed one can understand that decision and accept it, even if I currently wouldn’t make that decision myself.
Shade
I like Wade and rarely want a manager sacked. But he is going to have to try and be a bit more positive. Next Saturday is going to be toxic and I'm already not looking forward to it. Home fans booing and Steve #$£! Evans in the away dugout.
Benctfc
Only have to look at the stats today to know it was more of the same rubbish unfortunately. If we continue to allow teams 70% percent in matches you are never going to get results. Every game i watch this season it feels like we are the underdog playing a cup tie against a higher league opponent.

As ever ultimately success is linked to good recruitment. Looking at our last few permanent signings in forward areas (Goodwin,Street,Keena,Olayinka,Brown,Norton) shows you how poor it's been. Keena being the exception last season although has all but eroded that impression this season. This club just seems to struggle when it comes to recruiting up top especially compared to defensively where we have done well. Also does Wade have the pull power? I look at similar clubs to us (Burton,Cambridge,Stevenage) and they seem to be signing higher calibre of players and can't be paying much more than us. Wade is a nice guy but ultimately this can't continue.
Last edited by Benctfc on 16 Sep 2023, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Garby74
Most fans still support the manager....just.

Do the players?

Now it's simple. Play for the gaffer or he gets the boot.

I like Wade as a person. As a coach I now have my doubts.

2 games
Broadway Brian
Just got back. Nothing seems to be changing from game to game. Same aimless balls into the channel all afternoon - meat and drink to the oppo. Same poor execution in the final third. Same lack of threat from the set piece.
How easy did they defend each and every long throw of Long’s?

Keena needs to get on the treadmill.
HamTown
Broadway Brian wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 19:21 Just got back. Nothing seems to be changing from game to game. Same aimless balls into the channel all afternoon - meat and drink to the oppo. Same poor execution in the final third. Same lack of threat from the set piece.
How easy did they defend each and every long throw of Long’s?

Keena needs to get on the treadmill.
Agreed. Also felt for Ferry playing in 4 different positions today and was pretty ineffectual on the right wing. Olayinka did well and on another day more might have come off for J Williams

I think there's the personnel now to be competitive so really it's all on Wade now to make something happen
Alf
Garby74 wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 18:26 Most fans still support the manager....just.

Do the players?

2 games
I think that’s the problem, they are playing for the gaffer!
Players at this level don’t stroll onto the pitch and play how or where they want.
They are invariably playing to a game plan supplied by the coaching staff and these game plans just aren’t working.
A good manager should know how to get the best out of individual players, which position they perform their best and how to link with the other players to form a successful team.
If a player doesn’t perform to these instructions it is not likely that he will be selected.
To consistently blame the players and not the coaching methods is a bit off the mark.
Warwickshire Robin
My take on today having just got back:-
Depressing, soul destroying and inevitable.
Jerry St Clair
Let’s not forget that Exeter have their own injury crisis. In the fan zone beforehand they were worried. They had two players starting who signed on Friday. You would never have known. They were better in pretty much every position on the pitch.

By contrast, Wade Elliott goes with a batshit crazy selection that results in a team who really did look like they’d been introduced to each other yesterday.

Rubbish. Just pitiful, directionless dross.
robinsrule
For me the turning point has been reached and the manager has to go before it’s too late for us. Things are not going to get better under Wade and we could be down by Xmas. He’s had his chance this season and looks utterly incapable of turning the ship around. As Si Robin says - is there nobody out there who could organise us, motivate us and give the fans some belief that we are not already relegated?!
Garby74
Fresh approach required.

Everyone has worked out the robotic patterns we play.

Like others have said they worked 2 years ago no longer.

You never know we might get a manager that believes in the benefit of the big P.

Press press press!

Wade has navigated through two very tough close seasons in a honest and humble manner....but simply does not have the experience to turn this around.
Ihearye
Alf wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 19:40

Do the players?

2 games
I think that’s the problem, they are playing for the gaffer!
Players at this level don’t stroll onto the pitch and play how or where they want.
They are invariably playing to a game plan supplied by the coaching staff and these game plans just aren’t working.
A good manager should know how to get the best out of individual players, which position they perform their best and how to link with the other players to form a successful team.
If a player doesn’t perform to these instructions it is not likely that he will be selected.
To consistently blame the players and not the coaching methods is a bit off the mark.
That is patently not true. In his interview he stressed that he told Keena his role is to get between the sticks, not near them, not just outside them, but between them - does he ? No. He tells the strikers to make the runs into the box , in the hope / anticipation a cross will come in. Do they? No.
I would and do question his use of subs yesterday. If the international break took its toll on (e.g.) CP, then why have him on the bench if you think you can only get 5 or 10 minutes out of him?
Quite a large % of the team are not doing the basics right, some look as if they don't want the ball, and some look like rabbits in the headlights when they get the ball. A couple of wins should ease this and get the ship back on track. The players have to accept some responsibility, they are employed to do a job and at the minute are getting paid for not doing it (for some). FFS yesterday's team, on paper, was quite an attacking team and what was it ? 2 shots on target.
We can't keep backing the players who are not producing, give the fresh faces their chance, those who have not accumulated the baggage since the start of the season. I wouldn't have Keena near the bench if we had a fully fit squad, so far this season he epitomises what is wrong with the team. Getting his picture taken for the new kit looks to have been his biggest contribution so far.
Benctfc
Ultimately at the end of the day the buck stops with the manager. There has been enough evidence so far this season to suggest the tactics are not working or adapting. Are the players partly responsible? Yes are the board partly responsible? Yes.

We seem to have little intent of winning back possession and are not pressing well enough. Look at our best results last season eg Bolton at home and Peterborough away we pressed those teams brilliantly. As for going forward again there are no patterns of play. Aimless balls down the channels have been worked out. I like Wade and he seems a lovely guy but ultimately when looking to change a manager i think can anyone possibly do any worse right now and the answer to that is no.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Benctfc wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 07:43 Ultimately at the end of the day the buck stops with the manager. There has been enough evidence so far this season to suggest the tactics are not working or adapting. Are the players partly responsible? Yes are the board partly responsible? Yes.

We seem to have little intent of winning back possession and are not pressing well enough. Look at our best results last season eg Bolton at home and Peterborough away we pressed those teams brilliantly. As for going forward again there are no patterns of play. Aimless balls down the channels have been worked out. I like Wade and he seems a lovely guy but ultimately when looking to change a manager i think can anyone possibly do any worse right now and the answer to that is no.
One thing to consider is that it is not necessarily the case Wade has told the players to play the way they are. I think he does want the players to press high and implement patterns of play. I think it is more the case that players are not doing it due to confidence, understanding etc.

Then we have to consider whether bringing in a new manager will then just confuse the players more and delay their progress as they have to switch to get to grips with different patterns etc when they haven’t got to grips with the current ones.
Alf
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 09:09
Benctfc wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 07:43 Ultimately at the end of the day the buck stops with the manager. There has been enough evidence so far this season to suggest the tactics are not working or adapting. Are the players partly responsible? Yes are the board partly responsible? Yes.

One thing to consider is that it is not necessarily the case Wade has told the players to play the way they are. I think he does want the players to press high and implement patterns of play. I think it is more the case that players are not doing it due to confidence, understanding etc.

Then we have to consider whether bringing in a new manager will then just confuse the players more and delay their progress as they have to switch to get to grips with different patterns etc when they haven’t got to grips with the current ones.
What progress? There isn’t any.
Funny that you think it is the players that are confused and not the Manager.
Also funny that you rate the manager but talk about the players as though they’re all a bit thick.
Broadway Brian

Well then he and Russ need the boot for signing players with no understanding of the game and an incapability to follow / implement a gameplan.

Either way, the buck stops with the gaffer.

It didn’t show any signs of being any different yesterday. It really didn’t.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 10:45

Also funny that you rate the manager but talk about the players as though they’re all a bit thick.
I said it was “one thing to consider”, not that this is what I think.

I don’t think the players are thick. We have switched to a new system which we have only played three times with different players missing or available each time or being away from training on international duty or with injury.

So I personally would like to see what happens if we have a few weeks of the players all being able to train together and get used to the new system.

Equally, I also said I’d understand if the Board wanted to make a change.
Malabus

Do the players?

2 games
Not from the average CTFC fan I've spoken too, they want Wade Elliot out before the lasting damage sets in.
ROKERITE
Ridiculous as it may seem Michael Duff is under huge pressure already at Swansea. A look at Planet Swans shows barely anyone thinking judging a manager after six matches is plain stupid. If the Swansea owners are foolish enough to listen to the fans I wonder if he might be persuaded to recharge his batteries with you till this season's end. After all, and this is one of the sticks they're beating him with, he lives and commutes from Cheltenham apparently.
Nesty
I am (just) still behind WE but only because I feel he has been dealt a rough hand with staff departures and losing key players. The next 2 games are crucial......................
robinsrule
Alf wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 10:45

I agree with you. There is obviously a massive crisis of confidence among the players, most notably Keena. He hasn’t turned into a bad player overnight. Would a change of manager help or is our squad just not good enough? I really don’t know - sometimes a new manager has a long term positive effect and sometimes not much changes. Sometimes managers are a victim of circumstances - look at Duffy at Swansea. We love him here and at Barnsley but sometimes it’s a case of wrong man at the wrong time. However, like Wade, a couple of wins and the pressure eases. Nobody is convinced about anything you say as a manager when you are losing every week. It’s also got to be hard to think of new things to say because you can talk about what you were trying to implement but every man and their dog can see that for whatever reason the players are just not listening.
Ihearye
Broadway Brian wrote: 17 Sep 2023, 11:20

Well then he and Russ need the boot for signing players with no understanding of the game and an incapability to follow / implement a gameplan.

Either way, the buck stops with the gaffer.

It didn’t show any signs of being any different yesterday. It really didn’t.
If one is to believe the sounds that come from the club, Wade has nothing to do with recruiting or signing players. We all want to win asap and nobody likes to be goalless, however, the problem is there for us all to see, scoring goals. We are not shipping many, but as has been said we will never win if we don't score. They have had good chances to score, but ZERO. I am not as knowledgeable as some on here, as I have no idea how you coach a person to head a ball into empty space, how to hit the net from 2 feet, how to at least test the keeper when you have a free shot inside the penalty area.
Confidence is obviously an issue, but that lack of confidence is has come from their inability to put a ball in a net.
It has been said on here Keena did not become a bad player overnight, that's true, he has become bad over the summer.

One thing I am unsure about is how effective Kevin Russell has been as assistant manager. Something about him just doesn't seem to fit in my view. Has Wade's burden been added to by this appointment?
This all sounds like the Mark Yates over reaction and we know the result of that. How many points would it need to keep folk off his back, 3 , 4 ?
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 16 Sep 2023, 13:32 Looks like Wade's going all in on 3-4-3

Southwood

Long - Bevan - Freestone

J Williams - Chapman - Sercs - B Williams

Street - Malcolm - Ferry
Having watch the game it felt much more like 5-5-0 yesterday