Cycle parking at Whaddon Road

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

hookyrobin
The Robins Trust have just set up another very short survey for supporters around cycling to games at Whaddon Road (I know there's been previous discussion about this on the Nest), to assess the demand for bike parking options at the club.

It's online here: https://forms.gle/EGU4LaQ9ZJZaeuSn8

It's an incredibly short survey, but will be very useful for us to know your views. Thanks to anyone who completes it, please pass the link on to anyone who is interested in this issue.

If there's anything else you'd like to let us know about cycling to WR, please leave a message here, email info@robinstrust.org or X/Twitter @RobinsTrust https://www.twitter.com/RobinsTrust

COYR

Jaimie
Robins Trust
Fuller
Done it!
And the last time I cycled to Whaddon Rd was in 1978 :roll:
hookyrobin
Fuller wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 16:18 And the last time I cycled to Whaddon Rd was in 1978 :roll:
They all count! :lol:
Jerry St Clair
Thanks for this. Done it.
horlickfanclub
Done it but no question about reserving a space or charging.
asl
"How would you rate the current cycle storage provision at the Completely Suzuki stadium."

I've no idea. Not being able to cycle the 30-odd miles, I've never paid any attention. Tbf, I probably could cycle to Whaddon Road without much problem as it's pretty much all down hill - but, going back...

Anyway, that was a mandatory question with no option to say "don't know", so I stopped filling it in. I hate badly thought out surveys...
hookyrobin
asl wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 18:33 Anyway, that was a mandatory question with no option to say "don't know", so I stopped filling it in. I hate badly thought out surveys...
It's essentially a simple scoping exercise to get a vague idea of how many cycle racks might be required at Whaddon Road; but I appreciate that the mandatory question could be off putting if there isn't an "I don't know" option, so I've amended it.
asl
Cool, ta. Finished the form. My road bike is a bit expensive so, ideally, if I did venture so forth, I'd want somewhere that I could secure my bike to by the frame, not just the spokes of the [quick release] wheel. I imagine they take up more room, though.

Yea, it ain't gonna happen...that 30 mile back will feel more like 60 by the time I've got to the top of Crickley Hill...
Jerry St Clair
asl wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 21:47 Cool, ta. Finished the form. My road bike is a bit expensive so, ideally, if I did venture so forth, I'd want somewhere that I could secure my bike to by the frame, not just the spokes of the [quick release] wheel. I imagine they take up more room, though.
Yes. Wall-mounted, wheel bucklers are the absolute pits. I see so much terrible, over-engineered cycle parking these days designed by people who don't cycle (the double-deckers you see at railway stations are similarly awful).

Sheffield stands are perfect. Cheap, simple, accessible.

The stands at WR are Sheffields, but there are only 4 of them. They are badly located, difficult to access and badly maintained. Pretty poor really.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 01 Sep 2023, 11:23
asl wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 21:47 Cool, ta. Finished the form. My road bike is a bit expensive so, ideally, if I did venture so forth, I'd want somewhere that I could secure my bike to by the frame, not just the spokes of the [quick release] wheel. I imagine they take up more room, though.
Yes. Wall-mounted, wheel bucklers are the absolute pits. I see so much terrible, over-engineered cycle parking these days designed by people who don't cycle (the double-deckers you see at railway stations are similarly awful).

Sheffield stands are perfect. Cheap, simple, accessible.

The stands at WR are Sheffields, but there are only 4 of them. They are badly located, difficult to access and badly maintained. Pretty poor really.
Yup. No bicycle owners completing the questionnaire will choose those front wheel only options.

There’s one shop in town, maybe Waitrose, where the Sheffield stands were too close to the wall you couldn’t use them properly. That was five years ago so may be different now.
Jerry St Clair
Thought I’d go and check out the bikes parked in the cycle parking area on Tuesday night.

Firstly the area is still neglected with large bins and Cakebridge place fences making access pretty tricky. Despite this I counted 9 bikes locked to the official rack and another three locked to various fences. There were also three bikes locked to lampposts on Whaddon Rd, though can’t be 100% certain they were there for the football.

I expect people in the Colin Farmer park their bikes closer to the turnstiles but I didn’t check these.

So, an absolute minimum of 12 cyclists (but probably more) persisting with rubbish facilities at what’s likely to be one of the lowest crowds of the season.

Well worth investing in better parking , I think.
Malabus
Firstly, well done to the trust for creating this survey for cyclists like myself. I will now participate and forward my opinions/views.
Swiss-Robin
To be brutally honest...who cares anymore?

Fans are being driven away in droves.
Fuller
Jerry St Clair wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 18:46 Thought I’d go and check out the bikes parked in the cycle parking area on Tuesday night.

Firstly the area is still neglected with large bins and Cakebridge place fences making access pretty tricky. Despite this I counted 9 bikes locked to the official rack and another three locked to various fences. There were also three bikes locked to lampposts on Whaddon Rd, though can’t be 100% certain they were there for the football.

I expect people in the Colin Farmer park their bikes closer to the turnstiles but I didn’t check these.

So, an absolute minimum of 12 cyclists (but probably more) persisting with rubbish facilities at what’s likely to be one of the lowest crowds of the season.

There is room for four or five bikes at the CF. They need to be locked to the palisade fencing by the turnstiles. There is no bike racks there. It’s p@@s poor.
Surely this is an area that the FED and SLO need to address.
Malabus
Fuller wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 20:00
Jerry St Clair wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 18:46 Thought I’d go and check out the bikes parked in the cycle parking area on Tuesday night.

Hear hear.

There is room for four or five bikes at the CF. They need to be locked to the palisade fencing by the turnstiles. There is no bike racks there. It’s p@@s poor.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
People who cycle may well choose to buy more beer than if they drove, or buy food to fuel up with calories for the ride home as well.
Jerry St Clair
Swiss-Robin wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 19:40

Fans are being driven away in droves.
True, but surely giving them the option to cycle away rather than being driven away is a good thing?
plymrob
"And the last time I cycled to Whaddon Rd was in 1978".
Thanks Fuller, and that cycle is still serving me well... not using it tomorrow though.
leohoenig
Fuller wrote: 05 Oct 2023, 20:00 There is room for four or five bikes at the CF. They need to be locked to the palisade fencing by the turnstiles. There is no bike racks there. It’s p@@s poor.
That is the point. Try and gauge demand, and then supply accordingly
The trust and FED are leading this
Malabus
Pontential long war in the middle-east; just before the northern hemisphere winter months. I do expect oil prices to rocket in price. Everyone will be cycling for a refreshing change.