The next 4 games

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
The next 4 games will take us into January.

Imho they are games we could get something from................ Leyton Orient (Currently 18th) , Carlisle (Currently (22nd) , Shrewsbury (Currently(11th) and Reading (Currently 19th)

If we can go into January with a squad strenthened by a few new faces then I believe we will stay up
longmover
we can win all those
Jerry St Clair
Two wins, two draws (i.e. a minimum 8 points from those four games needed). 12 would be magnificent.
Shade
We'll be out of the relegation spots by New Year. The teams above us up to and including Exeter have got no form at all and are mostly playing teams doing well between now and New Year, with one game against lower mid to bottom of the table teams, with the exception of Carlisle who are playing us, Fleetwood, Northampton and Port Vale, but could well still go winless.
HamTown
Shade wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 11:39 We'll be out of the relegation spots by New Year.
Is that a promise?

Reading seem to be picking up a bit of form. Just hope our good performances don't turn in to lamenting dropped points
Shade
HamTown wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 11:44
Shade wrote: 12 Dec 2023, 11:39 We'll be out of the relegation spots by New Year.
Is that a promise?

Reading seem to be picking up a bit of form. Just hope our good performances don't turn in to lamenting dropped points
Just a hopeful guess. Reading's next four: Oxford, Lincoln, Wigan, Peterborough. Then a big one on new years day, Reading v Exeter.

As Wigan would be about 8th without their points deduction, that's their next 4 games against teams in the top 9, although Oxford have obviously turned to c!#p since their new manager arrived.

I've also only just noticed Burton have got a very tough next 5 games as well. We could well be above them by NYD.
HamTown
Fingers crossed.

If injuries are on our side we might have a chance. The amount of games over new years will be a big test to those who have had fitness issues especially, we might be thankful for a bloated squad!

Carlisle (A) Sat 23rd Dec
Shrewsbury (H) Tues 26th Dec
Reading (H) Fri 29th Dec
Northampton (A) Mon 1st Jan
Robin
We have Port Vale at home coming up soon. We really need to be getting results in these upcoming games but that brings a different sort of pressure than the freedom we've had recently where we've very much shone as the underdog.
Fuller
Not only injuries and fitness issues, but we’ve got a few key players getting close to a suspension.
Yes we want to see full commitment, but the yellow cards are mounting up.
Shade
When does it become 10 yellows for a suspension instead of 5? Is it the half way point (which would also be 1st January)?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 11 Dec 2023, 21:24 Two wins, two draws (i.e. a minimum 8 points from those four games needed). 12 would be magnificent.
12 points would get us to 25 points from 23 games, so bang on track for the 50 point survival target.

To be on track for survival before the January transfers out and in start would be a fantastic achievement.

We mustn’t be too disappointed if not. The required points per game to get to 50 points is 1.37, which would equate to 5.5 points in the next four games.

Obviously we should be banking points as soon as we can, especially against non-promotion sides. But the points per game requirement puts into perspective and six or eight points would still be decent enough.
Robin
There is a long way to go and we are bound to have a bad spell especially when we face a run of games against top teams. We do have a chance thanks to the mgmt team but we will need to get a good haul of points in the next few games otherwise we could be cut adrift once again and it becomes hard to attract players without paying over the odds.
Jerry St Clair
One can overthink this. Basically I’m pretty confident we’re going to get to April with a chance of staying up. It might be a good chance, and evens chance or an outside chance. But, nevertheless, a chance.

I predict Bristol Rovers, Stevenage and Lincoln will be absolute humdingers.
Robin
I would not want to go to Stevenage needing a result to secure safety, hopefully it's done before then either way.
Benhall-Robin
Intensity is key. We've got to get at these teams, be in their face, win battles and scrap it out.

I don't think it'll be a period of football for the purist, but we have to make some significant progress in catching and overtaking those above.