January signing one

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
CS85
Seems to have done ok at Preston.....last three seasons though only 20 odd apps in league 1 and 2,not sure if that's due to injuries or just not picked.
1985CTFC
Looks talented. Maybe he needs an arm around him and some regular game time. Hopefully DC can get him firing for us.
Si Robin
CS85 wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 11:53 Seems to have done ok at Preston.....last three seasons though only 20 odd apps in league 1 and 2,not sure if that's due to injuries or just not picked.
Seems to have suffered some pretty nasty injuries. The fact he's been training with us for several weeks fills me with hope that he might be over them though.
Jim
Si Robin wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 12:00
CS85 wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 11:53 Seems to have done ok at Preston.....last three seasons though only 20 odd apps in league 1 and 2,not sure if that's due to injuries or just not picked.
Seems to have suffered some pretty nasty injuries. The fact he's been training with us for several weeks fills me with hope that he might be over them though.
Suggests we've done our due diligence. Interesting one, was highly rated at one time, but then so many have been and not made even in the EFL. I trust DC that he'll strengthen us, and more attacking threat from midfield is something we've desperately needed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A goal scorer in the Premier League for Man U. That’s good pedigree!!
longmover
from the upsurge in pretty much all our players since DC arrived, i feel he can get the most out of players who may be a bit 'lost'

though saying that a friend of mine who supports Ipswich said he was 'just awful' and took one of the worst shots he'd ever seen (at swindon), though this was all under Lambert so was a dire time all round at Ipswich.
QED
An unbelievably talented youngster who made some bad decisions and then had some terrible luck - he went to Preston despite United wanting to keep him because he wanted to play, then lost a full year to an ACL injury, couldn’t get his place back, then came Covid and loans that didn’t work at Ipswich and Fleetwood, and Preston tore up his contract. This is probably his last chance of a pro career, so hopefully he’s coming hungry.
Fuller
On the official website it says a new signing will be on the new WhatsApp channel for CTFC later today so presume it is Josh.
For a club like ours it’s good to get these sort of out of contract players have a thorough trial first. Our budget means we have to get the new additions right. Hopefully this will be a good one.
HamTown
Hmm seems like he didn't make an impact in L2 last season although did have surgery

At least its a position we have zero cover for, possibly even zero players in the squad depending on your view of Sercs best position
Ihearye
done deal
Artemis
Signed on until the end of the season....

Seems like he ticks all the boxes in terms of experience and desire to get himself back playing regular football
joes dad
Warwickshire Robin
Bit of a view from Preston on the new signing:-

https://www.deepdaledigest.com/news/ex- ... nham-town/
Ihearye
Could be a good addition as I am sure management have done due diligence. Looking forward to welcoming his other 3 amigos this week
Robin
Unsure what to make of this one. On one hand I suspect people will be dazzled that he started out at Man Utd and played for Preston in the Championship which suggests there must be some talent there but his career has been on a downward spiral over a number of years now and he;'s 28 yet hardly played a lot of games.

I spoke to my friend who supports Northampton he described him as extremely injury prone, apparently played two games and got injured in league two and was never seen again until pre-season where he looked ok then go injured then was training with them for several months but didn't earn a deal. This suggests he's probably not unfit at least but I just hope this is a play as you play deal and it's not too much money out of the budget so we can get in more reliable players. At least this way it's win win for all concerned if it works out.
Shade
If he gets injured, he gets injured. He's survived several weeks of training without injury, Gav Crowe et al have given him a current clean bill, and the lad is obviously keen to try and impress after a difficult few years and no money coming in for the last 6 months.

As has been said a million times, this is the kind of player that we have to take risks on at this level, and hope they come good, because goal scoring attacking midfielders proven at L1 or Championship level generally aren't in our price range. Put the money on red and hope the ball doesn't fall on black.
longmover
There's a highlights reel of his goals (while at Preston) looks as though he can deliver a very good set piece ball as well
1985CTFC
He might just be the player to be on the same wavelength as Keena. Seems to be able to provide a good through ball.