January Window

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
CTFC.Harry wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 12:54
1985CTFC wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 12:38 Maybe FGR connection if it is going to upset anyone. Can only think of Conor Wickham,
or maybe someone with naughty history! Jevan Brown!!!
I saw Kaid Mohamed stood in the alleyway leading onto Selkirk Gardens last night. Looked a bit shifty but I'd presume he was just excited whilst waiting to meet Milton for a contract offer.
I never knew Russ worked for HM Prison Service :lol:
paperboy
If anyone lives near to Whaddon Road can they please just tell us when smoke starts coming out of the chimney.
Ihearye
looking at the obvious thread that runs through our recent and rumoured recruitment. You have to wonder what part our recruitment guru is playing. Or by some strange coincidence has all our fact finding and crunching of the stats. somehow always led us to players DC has once worked with :)
Robin
How would everyone rate our January transfer window so far then? Feels like we could go into panic mode today.
Horteng
Robin wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 07:27 How would everyone rate our January transfer window so far then? Feels like we could go into panic mode today.
Certainly left it late........ :(
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 07:27 How would everyone rate our January transfer window so far then? Feels like we could go into panic mode today.
Who knows, the experts tell us it all only happens on the last couple of days. From my amateur view point. It has not gone well
We sell with no replacement in sight and our hail Mary's don't get the blood racing
Si Robin
So far it's decent. We've strengthened in midfield and defence. Added experience in both areas. Naturally, the big concern is up front. People will bang on about selling Goodwin without a replacement, but given he's still injured and would have missed all of January anyway, we're not really any worse off. If we can get two in, and names like Matty Taylor and Christian Doidge doing the rounds aren't the worst in the World, then I think you can't consider it anything but a success.

We are where we are in the food chain, don't think the club have gone into this month and decided they'll wait until the last two days to get a new striker (which certainly seems to be the belief of some).
ctfc-fan
And we need them midfielders to weigh in with a few each too.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 07:51
So far it's decent. We've strengthened in midfield and defence. Added experience in both areas. Naturally, the big concern is up front. People will bang on about selling Goodwin without a replacement, but given he's still injured and would have missed all of January anyway, we're not really any worse off. If we can get two in, and names like Matty Taylor and Christian Doidge doing the rounds aren't the worst in the World, then I think you can't consider it anything but a success.

We are where we are in the food chain, don't think the club have gone into this month and decided they'll wait until the last two days to get a new striker (which certainly seems to be the belief of some).
I like the way the term adding experience is being used as s euphemism for we have signed a good player. The defence signing is hardly in e experienced bracket, but will add to the back line. Our experienced decent players as you term them have been let go on a free from a poor l2 club and the other has lost his way. We all hope they come good but they are both in my view hail Mary's
Adding numbers and age does not add up to a decent transfer window. Suppose the other plus us we have spent nothing so far
Robin
Smith has had a season in the conference and one in league two, so he's played games and based on Saturday looked solid in our back line and a big improvement on Smith/Bradbury in terms of mobility and ball distribution.
Jim

This sums up my feelings, and if we bring in Taylor plus one more striker who can bring some intensity and a left sided attacker by the deadline tomorrow I think it can be considered a success.

If we only bring in Taylor then I think there's cause for concern, but it won't have been through a lack of trying from the club. Maybe Kingy will get more involved and buzz around for the last 20 minutes of games after Taylor or Keena have run their race.
Si Robin
Ihearye wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 08:19

I like the way the term adding experience is being used as s euphemism for we have signed a good player. The defence signing is hardly in e experienced bracket, but will add to the back line. Our experienced decent players as you term them have been let go on a free from a poor l2 club and the other has lost his way. We all hope they come good but they are both in my view hail Mary's
Adding numbers and age does not add up to a decent transfer window. Suppose the other plus us we have spent nothing so far
Let go on a free because said club is in financial turmoil, again.

I agree on Harrop to an extent, but in him we have a Championship standard player. If he doesn't break down (and I concede that's a big if) then he will be the best technical player in the team. He also has over 90 games at Championship level.

Robin has already made my argument on Smith.

This'll be the usual thing where we have to agree to disagree as I tend to look on the positive side whereas you have a tendency to look from the pessimistic side, or simply contrary to my view, you decide. At least you finally seem to be accepting there's not much Will Goodwin could have done in the past two games.
asl
I'll be shocked to see King come on to the field unless we're 4-0 up with 10 mins to play. Give him a full season on loan somewhere next season then maybe he'll be ready for 2025-26.
everyman
Malabus wrote: 29 Jan 2024, 20:27
andgarod wrote:it is often said that an injury is 6 days or 6 weeks
It could be a lot longer if Street has ruptured something
Lets hope he is a fast healer
Bring back Mo Eisa and or King is now moved up onto the bench and Keena can now shine
King is no way near L1/L2 standard.
He has the potential to be a good player when he`s developed physically.
everyman
CTFC.Harry wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 12:54
1985CTFC wrote: 30 Jan 2024, 12:38 Maybe FGR connection if it is going to upset anyone. Can only think of Conor Wickham,
or maybe someone with naughty history! Jevan Brown!!!
I saw Kaid Mohamed stood in the alleyway leading onto Selkirk Gardens last night. Looked a bit shifty but I'd presume he was just excited whilst waiting to meet Milton for a contract offer.
Is he out on parole allready ?
Robin
asl wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 08:46 I'll be shocked to see King come on to the field unless we're 4-0 up with 10 mins to play. Give him a full season on loan somewhere next season then maybe he'll be ready for 2025-26.
Totally agree we should not be throwing a 17 year old into a relegation scrap. He'd be far better served going to to somewhere like Bath for the remainder of the season and getting some game time there, hopefully that happens once we bring these two strikers in.
andgarod
kingy will be lucky to play in our first team before we sell him
Si Robin
He's already played in our first team a couple of times this season.
asl
Wade brought him on v Shrewsbury and, at one point, their keeper picked him up and threw him out of the six yard box. I think someone surmised he'd only been brought on as a statement to the board that we were desperately short of options. To say "boy in a man's game" would be an understatement. Wayne Rooney might have been physically developed enough at 16, but players like that are one in a million.
horlickfanclub
It is sometimes hard to find a club for players once a Manager goes off them. For those who are always having a go at our recruitment ( which is a bad term as it includes managing the leavers) an interesting quote below from the Fylde news page.

We appreciate we all work hard to secure deals that make us both better on the pitch and financially viable and for that we all appreciate DH support and I’d like to thank Russ Milton at Cheltenham for doing his bit and making this a seamless transaction between the clubs.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 08:44
Ihearye wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 08:19

Let go on a free because said club is in financial turmoil, again.

I agree on Harrop to an extent, but in him we have a Championship standard player. If he doesn't break down (and I concede that's a big if) then he will be the best technical player in the team. He also has over 90 games at Championship level.

Robin has already made my argument on Smith.

This'll be the usual thing where we have to agree to disagree as I tend to look on the positive side whereas you have a tendency to look from the pessimistic side, or simply contrary to my view, you decide. At least you finally seem to be accepting there's not much Will Goodwin could have done in the past two games.
Not sure how I can be accused of simply being contrary to your view, when I expressed my misgivings on the transfer window before you posted?
I did agree Smith would help, just pointed out he does not fall into the experienced bracket. The Swindon story coming from both parties is that it was nothing to do with money. If it was then even a nominal fee would have been the norm.
As we both say, we can only hope it works out
QED
Feels like we’re cutting this a bit fine. At least when we got Broom in at 11.55pm on deadline day last summer he was a topper on the squad, not our starting number 9.
Jim
QED wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 14:23 Feels like we’re cutting this a bit fine. At least when we got Broom in at 11.55pm on deadline day last summer he was a topper on the squad, not our starting number 9.
Wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens today and it all comes down to picking up a couple of scrag-ends tomorrow. Hopefully DC can trim off the fat and sinew and make them look like prime lamb loin.... or at least mince them down for some passable mutton burgers.
HamTown
Wonder if Dale Vince is stringing us along because of our "rivalry" and will end up pulling the plug last minute
Shade
HamTown wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 14:56 Wonder if Dale Vince is stringing us along because of our "rivalry" and will end up pulling the plug last minute
Vince or any of his cronies, wouldn't be a surprise at all. We've recently been reminded of the childishness with the whole leaving Cheltenham off of Cotterill's resume, and we know from past experience they're not exactly professional, whilst accusing other clubs of the same.
Artemis
If Taylor wants to leave FGR, then he will. It's just a question of time and cutting a deal that's works. However, it might be that SCs appointment changes his mind.

There will be contingencies in place. Of course they won't be first choice. But to even infer there aren't would be to accuse DC of unprofessionalism.

We're way down the food chain when trying to get players either good enough for L1 and / or with the necessary experience. With our gates, and budget, thats probably holds true in L2 too.

Unless we're very lucky, that in my view means waiting; the alternative is paying over the odds or getting players in who aren't up to it just to get players in. It might still come to that, but it would be bonkers to at least not try to get the best we can by holding out.
Si Robin
The Robins Nest is not here for your logic and reason!
Jim
It's a very difficult market across the board, very few clubs seem to be getting the players they want. An option we'd usually go for, young loan players, isn't on the cards so we're looking for experienced players ready for League 1 football - who are few and far between.

As we found out earlier in the window, DC could have a list 15, 20 or 50 players long, but if they choose other clubs there's not a lot we can do about it. I'm still hopeful we'll get the 2 or 3 we need but at the end of the day we can't magic these players out of thin air. Tomorrow might show us how desperate we are, or if DC will prefer coping with what we've got rather than going for panic deals.
Ihearye
Artemis wrote: 31 Jan 2024, 15:37 If Taylor wants to leave FGR, then he will. It's just a question of time and cutting a deal that's works. However, it might be that SCs appointment changes his mind.

There will be contingencies in place. Of course they won't be first choice. But to even infer there aren't would be to accuse DC of unprofessionalism.

We're way down the food chain when trying to get players either good enough for L1 and / or with the necessary experience. With our gates, and budget, thats probably holds true in L2 too.

Unless we're very lucky, that in my view means waiting; the alternative is paying over the odds or getting players in who aren't up to it just to get players in. It might still come to that, but it would be bonkers to at least not try to get the best we can by holding out.
Exactly, or that he is at an age where getting paid a good wage for playing 15 minutes a week suits him down to the ground.
I think everyone over the years has realised, players are not falling over themselves to come to CTFC. If they don't want to, that's not a problem. Also I wouldn't thin anyone doubts that DC has a long list of options for various positions. We have to be realistic enough to realise that on 31/01 he is not holding out for his second or third picks. The fact that we are down to MT, who can hardly get a game for FGR is a fair indication as to where we are. No point in putting lipstick on a pig as far as this transfer window is concerned. If you go with that we drop a bit in quality, with every level of the list we drop to, then only time will tell if what we have brought in is of sufficient quality to keep us in L1 and of sufficient quality to replace what we have lost - over the remaining games
Artemis
Only if his preferred targets have already moved does he have to move down the list.
Taylor may have been up there all along, just a question of waiting for him...we don't know.

This window hasn't been wow, but the objective was to recruit two or three experienced players. Kinsella and Harrup tick that box. Yes, we've sold Goodwin, but our strategy is to top up our gate money by developing and selling on players so if someone makes an good offer, the board are doing to take it.

You can't plan for an injury like Streets, at least it's happened in a window.
asl
Remember signing a fairly unheralded big striker by the name of Julian Alsop? He wasn't a particularly exciting acquisition. In fact, on paper, the guy he arrived at the same time with had a better record and was a more exciting prospect.

So the truth is - we just don't know and just have to hope DC gets us the right man.
1985CTFC
League Two strugglers Forest Green have re-signed striker Christian Doidge on a permanent transfer from Hibernian.

So not coming to us!
asl
That's quite an impressive signing. Surprised Bolton didn't go for him... 😉
1985CTFC
Bolton splashing the cash on Collins from B Rovers, apparently.
ctfc-fan
I’m hearing a rumour of Jaden Williams, a striker from Tottenham u21s…