Cheltenham Town v Exeter City

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
The ref didn't cost us that game. I thought the pen was harsh - but the one he booked Thomas for diving...not sure he wasn't right, tbh. Thomas barely complained, and that was telling. Also, he didn't send off Nuttall for a pretty horrendous late challenge.

What cost us was the fact that we had to work tremendously hard to win back the ball whenever they were in possession yet, conversely, when we had possession, it was like Exeter just needed to wait a moment or two and we'd give it back to them. So frustrating!
CS85
It's the assault on kinsella I have issue with,have you not seen the vid asl?.
Thomas was looking for that pen and agree with the decision from where I was.
Nham68
CS85 wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 16:45
Uppy wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 16:37 https://x.com/omcf10/status/17748315026 ... QdvrJ00nIA

Video of just one of those that the ref deemed a fair challenge

If that Was a deciding game today on our league one fate I think I'd have been on the pitch after that ref. f#!$ disgusting
Yep, in the end Season doesn’t hinge on one event . We are where we are because in 11 games we failed to score and were woeful . These single events don’t help, but don’t mask the real issue either.
CS85
Quite right.

Will take me a while to calm to calm down,I thought as I've got older a relegation wouldn't feel as bad as the others I have seen, I think I may be wrong.
CTFCfan99
Nham68 wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:14
Uppy wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 16:37 https://x.com/omcf10/status/17748315026 ... QdvrJ00nIA

Video of just one of those that the ref deemed a fair challenge

If that Was a deciding game today on our league one fate I think I'd have been on the pitch after that ref. f#!$ disgusting
Yep, in the end Season doesn’t hinge on one event . We are where we are because in 11 games we failed to score and were woeful . These single events don’t help, but don’t mask the real issue either.
It's not just one event though is it, this has happened consistently all season. Give me one example of a contentious offside/penalty/other big decision that has gone in our favour. You can't, because there aren't any.

Yes, if we'd started the season better we'd probably be looking safe. If referees did their job properly, we'd also be looking safe. Both can be true.
Uppy
CTFCfan99 wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:27

It's not just one event though is it, this has happened consistently all season. Give me one example of a contentious offside/penalty/other big decision that has gone in our favour. You can't, because there aren't any.

Yes, if we'd started the season better we'd probably be looking safe. If referees did their job properly, we'd also be looking safe. Both can be true.
Agreed. We started the season about as poorly as possible. Then turned it round and would be in a great position if not for terrible refereeing performances. If we’re not allowed to stay up because of the first 11 games then tell us that at the time.
Shade

Correct. Our start was c!#p, we all know that. But the amount of points officials have cost us through their absolute ineptitude or corruption since then is absolutely not on. DC said it himself, and I'm with DC. Just because the Thomas decision may have been right and the Freestone one was borderline, doesn't mean the other decisions shouldn't have the spotlight shone upon them.

Haven't heard a ref booed and abused off like that since Kettle 20 odd years ago.
Garby74
The ref cost us that game....well at least a point.
The ref did his best to cheat on Friday.
All season I can only remember 2 decent officals.
Would love to see Lewis penalty back.
PCrobin
Just back from the game. Still absolutely fuming. Fighting for our lives and a decision like that is a massive kick in the teeth. A draw would have been a fair result as they were all over us in the first half tbf. Changes at half time made a massive difference but we are desperately short up front now.
Shade
Only good news from our game is DC said that Keena going off was tactical.
CTFCfan99
Shade wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:34

Correct. Our start was c!#p, we all know that. But the amount of points officials have cost us through their absolute ineptitude or corruption since then is absolutely not on. DC said it himself, and I'm with DC. Just because the Thomas decision may have been right and the Freestone one was borderline, doesn't mean the other decisions shouldn't have the spotlight shone upon them.

Haven't heard a ref booed and abused off like that since Kettle 20 odd years ago.
Freestone one I've seen a video of, and it does hit his hand - it's absolutely blasted at him from a few feet away and I think it's harsh but whatever, I can see why it's given. But to then not give the one on Kinsella...their lad leads with his shoulder straight into his face. Clatters him. It's completely insane what these clowns think they see. Lino equally to blame, should have had a perfect view.
Si Robin
The Thomas one is here - https://twitter.com/Kozzy78/status/1774819449750667618

I think both that one and the Kinsella one are penalties. It feels like we've constantly been shafted all season. Yes, the first 11 games were shocking, but with Derby, Bolton and today alone that's 7 points. We would be looking over our shoulders but feeling comfortable now but for those decisions.
Malabus
CTFCfan99 wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:49

Freestone one I've seen a video of, and it does hit his hand - it's absolutely blasted at him from a few feet away and I think it's harsh but whatever, I can see why it's given. But to then not give the one on Kinsella...their lad leads with his shoulder straight into his face. Clatters him. It's completely insane what these clowns think they see. Lino equally to blame, should have had a perfect view.
Their penalty never in a million years is that correct. How the hell can you defend that.
CTFCfan99
Malabus wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 18:18
CTFCfan99 wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:49

Their penalty never in a million years is that correct. How the hell can you defend that.
I wouldn't have given it, as I said I think it's harsh. Just pointing out that I can see a reason why the ref gave it.
Shade
Si Robin wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 18:15 The Thomas one is here - https://twitter.com/Kozzy78/status/1774819449750667618

I think both that one and the Kinsella one are penalties. It feels like we've constantly been shafted all season. Yes, the first 11 games were shocking, but with Derby, Bolton and today alone that's 7 points. We would be looking over our shoulders but feeling comfortable now but for those decisions.
Difficult angle but at the time I thought it looked like contact, defender moves as though he's stuck his leg out and Thomas goes down as though he has genuinely been tripped, and that replay doesn't change my mind.

For me, the ref had decisions to make on every big decision, and every time went with Exeter, even if it was 70/30+ in CTFC's favour.
Uppy
Wasn’t anywhere near as impactful but Olayinka got ripped out on the sideline at one point too and the ref couldn’t be quicker to wave play on
asl
Shade wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 19:15 For me, the ref had decisions to make on every big decision, and every time went with Exeter, even if it was 70/30+ in CTFC's favour.
Nuttall stayed on the pitch. If what you say is true, he'd have had a straight red. Seen 'em given, as they say.
Warwickshire Robin
asl wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 19:30
Shade wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 19:15 For me, the ref had decisions to make on every big decision, and every time went with Exeter, even if it was 70/30+ in CTFC's favour.
Nuttall stayed on the pitch. If what you say is true, he'd have had a straight red. Seen 'em given, as they say.
Nuttall's was one of those where he went to block a clearance was fractionally late and the defender kicked the bottom of his boot. Definitely not a red and their 4 rolled around like he had been shot but miraculously managed to carry in with no ill effects.
vickeryc
art vandalay wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 16:11
Shade wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 16:03
art vandalay wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 15:58 Second best, we‘ve deserved nothing.
Wtf are you talking about? Second half we were by far the better side
Over the 90 minutes Exeter were the better team and mostly controlled the way the game panned out. They worked the ball well going forward whereas we were pretty wasteful or lacked options and sent it back for Southwood to lump forward. We made a stab of it after a woeful first half but even then we offered nothing up front.
I agree that we were a poor second best in the first half and was relieved to reach HT on level terms. I don't agree with your assessment of the second half though. I think we were a totally different proposition after HT and Exeter were not controlling the game at all.
Besides hitting the woodwork, flawed refereeing decisions cost us at least a point. Despite that, if you look at the game overall, a draw would probably have been a fair outcome. To say we deserved nothing from the game is, I think, bizarre. Exeter maybe edged it technically, but we created more clear-cut openings.
ctfc-fan
Warwickshire Robin wrote:
Nuttall's was one of those where he went to block a clearance was fractionally late and the defender kicked the bottom of his boot. Definitely not a red and their 4 rolled around like he had been shot but miraculously managed to carry in with no ill effects.
I was loving that as I know his dad and he was going on about him as if he was some superstar so nice to see him clattered Image
Garby74
I'm.still.livid
Warwickshire Robin
Garby74 wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 21:39 I'm.still.livid
Ditto
Si Robin
Yep - I'm usually over games by the time I get home, but yesterday's feels a real gut punch.
Garby74
Hopefully DC can harness the injustice
longmover
Corruption level of officiating by Martin, for whatever reason he has decided to ref the game the way he has and it needs investigation.

One thing that struck me was when Thomas went down (in the box) he was surrounded by five or six Exeter players who weren't to shy in their general aggression (pulling and pushing), rather than move players away and take the heat out of the situation Martin couldn't wait to get in Thomas's face and give the yellow, almost like he wanted to be the ringleader in a nasty piece of bullying.

a complete 5hit of a person.
Garby74
Well said long.
How can we stop this happening again?
What can we do on the day?
Shade
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 20:02
When you consider in the Newcastle v West Ham match on Saturday that Anthony Gordon got a penalty for simply stepping in front of and blocking Kalvin Phillips, facing away from the ball, as he was about to kick it, Nuttall should probably have been given the free kick :lol:
Alf
asl wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:06 The ref didn't cost us that game. I thought the pen was harsh - but the one he booked Thomas for diving...not sure he wasn't right, tbh. Thomas barely complained, and that was telling. Also, he didn't send off Nuttall for a pretty horrendous late challenge.

What cost us was the fact that we had to work tremendously hard to win back the ball whenever they were in possession yet, conversely, when we had possession, it was like Exeter just needed to wait a moment or two and we'd give it back to them. So frustrating!
Alf
You’ve been Premiership Brainwashed.
Just because Thomas didn’t squeal like a stuck pig and roll around on the floor clutching his leg with one hand an batting the floor with the other, doesn’t mean that it wasn’t a bad tackle.
Warwickshire Robin
Seen the replay of the Exeter pen decision now and it seems to be one of those that was never a pen according to the original handball rule, i.e. it had to be deliberate. No way was it deliberate but it did seem to hit the hand and these days it is down to how ready the ref is to give it and of course yesterdays clown couldn't give it quick enough.

The Jordan Thomas one happened right in front of me, he knocks the ball between two defenders who shut the door on him to stop him following and block him off, at worst that should be obstruction but should be a pen and even if the ref deems the Exeter players are entitled to stand their ground there is contact and no way should be a yellow card for Jordan for diving. The fact that Woods guiltily holds his hands up to say 'I never touched him' should tell you all you need to know.

The Kinsella one is just baffling, he gets shouldered in the head for gods sake! That's a red card in rugby!!!!!

Add to this the other foul on Thomas that got given as a corner when Woods was arguing he never touched the ball was another in a host of decisions that went against us as well as the studs up tackle on Kins that went completely unpunished and Sweeney getting away with several other fouls whilst on a yellow card, would have definitely seen red if he was wearing a Cheltenham shirt.

We have seen some f@ckwits refereeing our games over the years but that guy takes the prize for the most inept.
longmover
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 10:42 Seen the replay of the Exeter pen decision now and it seems to be one of those that was never a pen according to the original handball rule, i.e. it had to be deliberate. No way was it deliberate but it did seem to hit the hand and these days it is down to how ready the ref is to give it and of course yesterdays clown couldn't give it quick enough.

The Jordan Thomas one happened right in front of me, he knocks the ball between two defenders who shut the door on him to stop him following and block him off, at worst that should be obstruction but should be a pen and even if the ref deems the Exeter players are entitled to stand their ground there is contact and no way should be a yellow card for Jordan for diving. The fact that Woods guiltily holds his hands up to say 'I never touched him' should tell you all you need to know.

The Kinsella one is just baffling, he gets shouldered in the head for gods sake! That's a red card in rugby!!!!!

Add to this the other foul on Thomas that got given as a corner when Woods was arguing he never touched the ball was another in a host of decisions that went against us as well as the studs up tackle on Kins that went completely unpunished and Sweeney getting away with several other fouls whilst on a yellow card, would have definitely seen red if he was wearing a Cheltenham shirt.

We have seen some f@ckwits refereeing our games over the years but that guy takes the prize for the most inept.
its not inept, its worse than that.
Warwickshire Robin
longmover wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 11:07
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 10:42 Seen the replay of the Exeter pen decision now and it seems to be one of those that was never a pen according to the original handball rule, i.e. it had to be deliberate. No way was it deliberate but it did seem to hit the hand and these days it is down to how ready the ref is to give it and of course yesterdays clown couldn't give it quick enough.

its not inept, its worse than that.
I did write something worse that that originally but edited it to keep it at least a little bit civil in a public forum!!
1985CTFC

Plain as day Woods had his leg out to get the ball and Jordan was to quick and Woods left his leg out as Jordan tried to wriggle through. They weren't going to let him. Was a foul, anyone saying it wasn't is deluded.
Ball did hit Freestones hand but not sure at that height it was goal bound, which should be the common sense criteria when hit at a player so close to his face. Need to see a replay.
Be interesting to see what other games the dick of a ref has reffed this year and seen fans comments. Ipswich one was quite telling.
longmover
Another 'suspicious' action from Martin was his run to the half way line after the third penalty shout for a "discussion" with the 4th official, thus allowing Exeter to completely reset before the corner and taking all our impetus out of our attack.
Leckyfan
Curious that neither the Thomas nor Kinsella penalty shouts was shown in the “Extended Highlights” on iPlayer. I had to go to the full “Match Replay” to get a look at them. Both looked pretty clearcut penalties to me, especially the one for Thomas, where the defender’s leg clearly tripped Thomas after he had pushed the ball through and was trying to follow it.

The full match replay defaulted to the “Away Commentary” option, and was interesting (but no consolation) to hear them say they thought it was a “very, very harsh decision” on Cheltenham to award the penalty against Freestone.