No programmes anymore

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

MrCTFC
JP on twitter has said their will no longer be printed match programmes at ctfc from next season.
Bit of a shame imo but can only assume the club are losing money on them
Shade
"Bloxham's plan" according to some morons on Facebook, whatever that's supposed to mean.

I'm not really surprised by it, though. Judging by the announcement a week or two they don't always sell out, as they said at half time they'll still be on sale from the club shop after the game. And that was one of the higher attended games. Personally, I stopped buying them 10 years or more ago after religiously buying them all for several seasons.

Would be great if it could be replaced by a proper fanzine but just don't see the demand for it these days.
Oldun
Those on Facebook can't have it both ways! Last week they were saying that MR Bloxham did not have a plan!
Si Robin
It's funny - on hearing they're being stopped, I'm sad. But then, like Shade, I haven't bought one for years, so why should it bother me.
bigdavejambo
programmes have been poor since covid season and certainly not worth £3
Ihearye
Just a sign of the times, the digital version is more on point and I must admit easier to read, in so far I can dip into it whenever I have a few minutes free
Ihearye
Oldun wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 22:03 Those on Facebook can't have it both ways! Last week they were saying that MR Bloxham did not have a plan!
I think we could probably let this one go now :)
asl
In terms of fanzines, I guess the various podcasts and, I'm sure blogs and vlogs are probably the equivalent.
Ihearye
asl wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 07:33 In terms of fanzines, I guess the various podcasts and, I'm sure blogs and vlogs are probably the equivalent.
Probably my very individual idiosyncrasy, but I have never got on board with these, much prefer the 'printed' word
asl
Me neither! I occasionally listen to podcasts, but that's about it.
Si Robin
Ihearye wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 07:38
asl wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 07:33 In terms of fanzines, I guess the various podcasts and, I'm sure blogs and vlogs are probably the equivalent.
Probably my very individual idiosyncrasy, but I have never got on board with these, much prefer the 'printed' word
I was always anti-Kindle because I liked having the book. Then anti-Audible because I wanted to read and not listen to someone reading.

Now I love both.

I'm biased because I'm on one, but I bloody love podcasts. That you can find one for pretty much any subject is brilliant. Naturally some are dreadful, but you can usually find something. My favourite is one called Chart Music which strips down random episodes of Top of the Pops.
Jerry St Clair
Si Robin wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 22:36 It's funny - on hearing they're being stopped, I'm sad. But then, like Shade, I haven't bought one for years, so why should it bother me.
This is the crux. We all have an emotional attachment to programme, but how many of us buy them.

I’d be surprised if programme sales got into the high hundreds for any game. They must be making a loss.
longmover
in my time supporting CTFC (early 90's) I've never purchased a programme.

just thought you'd all like to hear that.
horlickfanclub
Sad to see the programme go. It was a means of communication and crediting sponsors and advertisers. Maybe the Trust could fill the gap with a publication .
Jerry St Clair
Have we ever had a fanzine?
longmover
Jerry St Clair wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 09:40 Have we ever had a fanzine?
yes, the late 90's there was one don't think it lasted too long though. There must be someone on here that still has a copy or two?
bigdavejambo
longmover wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 09:45
Jerry St Clair wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 09:40 Have we ever had a fanzine?
yes, the late 90's there was one don't think it lasted too long though. There must be someone on here that still has a copy or two?
odd ones appear on ebay occasionally
horlickfanclub
Back in the 70's we had Robins Review and another couple of monthlies as well as programmes. All produced for a much smaller fan base.I still have some.
plymrob
Like Horlick, I have a couple (I think) of 'Robin's Reviews'. I do always buy a programme - if I can get one..! As ever, some are better than others - BUT, sadly, nowadays, the away programmes tend to give less away team content than they used too.

For me still - it's a bit like an 'in-the-hand' reminder that I was there... but they also add to a games attended 'collection' started by my brother in the 1960s. I, for one, will miss not being able to buy a printed programme. I also agree about the lost immediate and latent advertising exposure... Also, more niche, and both then and now, programmes also work as a local social/economic and design history source - just like an old town guide book. Not sure digital output will have same all-round value. The CTFC-Man City programme for example - not as valued by me as printed versions for FA Cup ties -v- Brighton, Wolves, Birmingham, Burnley... etc.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
plymrob wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 16:18 Like Horlick, I have a couple (I think) of 'Robin's Reviews'. I do always buy a programme - if I can get one..! As ever, some are better than others - BUT, sadly, nowadays, the away programmes tend to give less away team content than they used too.

For me still - it's a bit like an 'in-the-hand' reminder that I was there... but they also add to a games attended 'collection' started by my brother in the 1960s. I, for one, will miss not being able to buy a printed programme. I also agree about the lost immediate and latent advertising exposure... Also, more niche, and both then and now, programmes also work as a local social/economic and design history source - just like an old town guide book. Not sure digital output will have same all-round value. The CTFC-Man City programme for example - not as valued by me as printed versions for FA Cup ties -v- Brighton, Wolves, Birmingham, Burnley... etc.
I might have a printed CTFC - Man City programme if you want it (don’t think I binned it).
Shade
There was a fanzine in the mid-90's. Would have been '94 or '95 when I went into school on a Monday morning and my teacher had left his copy from the weekend on my desk for me. Stashed away in the attic somewhere at the moment but the front page was something about "Rushden Anne Diamonds". I'll have to get up and dig it out some time.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 20:22 There was a fanzine in the mid-90's. Would have been '94 or '95 when I went into school on a Monday morning and my teacher had left his copy from the weekend on my desk for me. Stashed away in the attic somewhere at the moment but the front page was something about "Rushden Anne Diamonds". I'll have to get up and dig it out some time.
You must be a better organised man than me. I couldn't find an elephant in mine (if there was one in it) - who knows there may be!!
Fuller
Ihearye wrote: 26 Apr 2024, 05:11
Shade wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 20:22 There was a fanzine in the mid-90's. Would have been '94 or '95 when I went into school on a Monday morning and my teacher had left his copy from the weekend on my desk for me. Stashed away in the attic somewhere at the moment but the front page was something about "Rushden Anne Diamonds". I'll have to get up and dig it out some time.
You must be a better organised man than me. I couldn't find an elephant in mine (if there was one in it) - who knows there may be!!
The original fanzine started back in the late 1980’s I'm pretty sure. It was A4 size with a colour picture cover. Chap called Mark Herron (I think) did the later mid ‘90’s fanzine. I’ve got the full set of both versions. I know where they are, together with programmes going back to when I first started supporting the Robins in the 1960’s. I’ll get them out sometime soon and have a good laugh!
PCrobin
I've got a programme from every CTFC game I've been to so I'm a bit sad about this. But I understand why they're doing this and the quality has dropped off massively in the last couple of years, so I've just been buying them out of habit rather than enjoying reading the content tbh...
art vandalay
Si Robin wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 07:54
Ihearye wrote: 25 Apr 2024, 07:38
I was always anti-Kindle because I liked having the book. Then anti-Audible because I wanted to read and not listen to someone reading.

Now I love both.

I'm biased because I'm on one, but I bloody love podcasts. That you can find one for pretty much any subject is brilliant. Naturally some are dreadful, but you can usually find something. My favourite is one called Chart Music which strips down random episodes of Top of the Pops.
Chart Music is excellent. A deep, deep dive into everything associated with each random episode.
Si Robin
It's become like a family to me - losing Neil Kulkarni in January actually left me devastated.
plymrob
RCS - Thank You. But thinking on, if there was printed version I would have bought into it. It was a bad example to cite. It was a game few could attend. You really need to have been there. But, happily, there are people like me on this thread.

I do agree that both the home and away programme content quality is mixed - BUT there are clearly still programme buyers out there. Maybe it's about print runs - and lower print runs were definately more cheaper in the digital age and when I left work in 2020. It must still be do-able...? Just adjust print numbers...?

Could I maybe compare it with an album, a single or a CD - these options are over a 'download'... Former still favoured by me. It's more tangible - but yes, all of these will all probably end up as stuff for the kids to clear out when you pass! (I think I have offered the eralier stuff to PG in the past but, happily, he has everything already!).
Malabus
Can anyone justify £3.00 for old news. It’s just a pamphlet with more ads than information.
The internet has changed many things, especially the way we obtain information
Eventually the Glos Echo will also become a victim.
Si Robin
It already has Mal - used to be a daily and nis now a weekly.