Midfielder

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
We seem to have been in discussion with strikers and wide men and possibly defenders
The one area that I am really concerned about is getting the correct play maker for the middle of the park.
I have not really seen to many sensible names being mentioned
Does this mean it is someone on loan rather than a permanent signing
R_Payney
Bear in mind we still have over 2 months until the season starts, plenty of time yet...
51/84
true but I think this is a key signing
I dont like to see someone join 2 days before we kick off our first league match
Not match fit , not used to other players etc and will the tactics have been worked out

We need a CB a CM and a striker for the start of preseason training the rest can come in later
We probably need a left sided player as well
Robin
I think we are waiting to see what happens with Pack first.
taxidave
Robin wrote:I think we are waiting to see what happens with Pack first.
Sorry Robin, but are you saying that you "understand" there is a likelihood that he will stay, because otherwise I do not see what Pack's situation has to do with us bringing in other midfielders.
Robin
I don't believe he will stay no, just that until his situation is resolved we will focus on other targets.
taxidave
Robin wrote:I don't believe he will stay no, just that until his situation is resolved we will focus on other targets.
What is there to resolve ?
cheltsaxon
taxidave wrote:
Robin wrote:I don't believe he will stay no, just that until his situation is resolved we will focus on other targets.
the possibility of having an extra 100k to play with changes alot!
taxidave
cheltsaxon wrote:
taxidave wrote:
the possibility of having an extra 100k to play with changes alot!
Pack is out of contract so no transfer fee is payable, all we can expect is a small amount because of his age and this will probably have to be decided by a tribunal. Perhaps you would be good enough to explain where you get your figure of £100k from.
Robin
£100k is a small amount Dave, lesser players go for more than that.
R_Payney
Swindon were going to pay 100k for him which should mean the compensation is around that amount
taxidave
R_Payney wrote:Swindon were going to pay 100k for him which should mean the compensation is around that amount
When Swindon offered the money Pack was under contract and Swindon were going for promotion, neither situation now applies. You cannot base a compensation fee on historical events.
vcinthestand
Not exact correct Taxidave there will be some use of the figures that Swindon were willing to offer but it will only be 1 factor. Apart from that you are spot on. I am sure that MY is factoring in what he may get but there are suggestions that there may be other items in a deal with another club, which might help both clubs ie a loan player coming in.

Robin said - £100k is a small amount Dave, lesser players go for more than that.

But Robin we cannot bank on it, I suspect it will be a bit less than £100K
CS85
Well even if its 50k thats a wage of a free transfer which is probably as much as we offer yearly anyway.
Why go sign a average midfielder when we can wait for the pack compo and sign a good one?.
Nesty
Including the two youngsters we have 13 players. I sincerely hope we are going to sign more than people keep talking about (incl PB).
Chelt Luke in Glos
PB?

Oh Baker not Benson :roll:
hEaLeR
I hope the Pack value will be around 100k, factors like him making the league two team of the season twice in a row will help.

I think some of the tribunal fee is a load of fingers in the air stuff really. If it was a Crewe player out of contract no doubt a fee of millions would be talked about.
Robin
I would hope £100k is the minimum Pack would move for especially if he goes to a Championship club. Let's face it all the clubs he has been linked with could easilly afford more than that so it may not even go to tribunal.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
http://www.football-league.co.uk/regula ... 2125731#65" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We need two ball playing centre midfielders anyway so I hope we are already looking at least one even if we're hoping for Pack compo for another.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
vcinthestand wrote: may be other items in a deal with another club, which might help both clubs ie a loan player coming in.
Only if Pack goes to that team - he can go anywhere he wants and if his preferred option don't have anyone to send us then that's that.
asl
Pack was only our player for a couple of years. The compensation for a player moving when ineligible for a Bosman is meant to make sure the selling club don't lose their entire investment in his development and training over the years. If he'd been on our books since he was 15, we might be looking at £100k - but don't be too surprised to see only a quarter of that.
Chelt Luke in Glos
Is it possible that Pack could join a championship club then be loaned back?

It may not be the case but if there is no talk of a midfielder coming in perhaps a deal to a larger club has been agreed and he could return on loan for 1 last season
taxidave
asl wrote:Pack was only our player for a couple of years. The compensation for a player moving when ineligible for a Bosman is meant to make sure the selling club don't lose their entire investment in his development and training over the years. If he'd been on our books since he was 15, we might be looking at £100k - but don't be too surprised to see only a quarter of that.
I agree asl, I think people are being very optimistic when talking about compensation of £100k, as you say he was only with us for 2 seasons and we got full value from him in that time so what will we want compensating for. ?
Pie
Chelt Luke in Glos wrote:Is it possible that Pack could join a championship club then be loaned back?
There is a rumour this could be happening if he goes to Bournemouth.
It's on that god awful rumour site, but I had heard it mentioned before that appeared.
But as we know, until its on the official site, it's nothing but speculation.
Robin
asl wrote:Pack was only our player for a couple of years. The compensation for a player moving when ineligible for a Bosman is meant to make sure the selling club don't lose their entire investment in his development and training over the years. If he'd been on our books since he was 15, we might be looking at £100k - but don't be too surprised to see only a quarter of that.
To give you a comparison H*r*ford are seeking £50k from York at tribunal for Ryan Bowman, who has been with them one season. Lower wages, lower league.

The season before Exeter received £175k for a defender from Swindon via tribunal, while they were wanting £200k.

Perhaps I am being too optimistic but surely any Championship club will realise that we are not going to accept any offer less than £100k and I can't see them haggling over £20-30k either side. I really feel we should be hoping for a fee around £150k given the clubs interested and that is well below his real market value if he had another year to run.
Cinderford robin
Dave Swindon had to pay 200k to Exeter last season for a lest back and that was after Tribunal, plus Bournemouth payed 130k to hereford for Pugh. the fact we was offered 100k and luke Rooney for pack and we have offered him a good contract, you will be surprised how much we could get if it went to a tribunal.
51/84
if we had given him an extension this time last season with a clause that said anyone offering more than £150K and from a league above, everyone would have been happy rather than try and cash him in in March
taxidave
As has been mentioned previously this money is compensation for the investment a club has made in the player, it is not a valuation of the player's worth, if it were I would agree with your valuation but what have we done in the past 2 seasons to improve Pack's footballing ability that was not already there.
Cinderford robin
I think it goes by game time they have had here and compaired to he played at pompy, so they will probably look at it he's had more development time here, keys wait and see.
Uppy
Who are as expecting anyway? Or who are we hoping for who is realistic?
51/84
JP if you can believe him is saying the club expect to get between £50-75K fee for Pack
Robin
Jesus that is awful, chicken feed when you see what other players go for.
Shade
Blah blah blah, we haven't invested in his development. He's 3 times the player he was when he first arrived at WR.
MarkHalliwell
We were going to get 100k with six months of his contract left. Now he has no contract left, so we are going to get less...
Dhansak
Whilst I believe the amount will be low, wasnt Pack deal £100k PLUS Rooney on loan - therefore would there not be an element of value to that aspect as well - ie making it a total value of £125k or something :)