Euro 2020

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

leohoenig
there are 19 bids to stage group matches in Euro 2020
12 cities will be selected to stage four matches, which equates to three group matches and a knock out match (in the "second" round or quarter-final)

The 19 are
Azerbaijan (Baku), Belarus (Minsk), Belgium (Brussels), Bulgaria (Sofia), Denmark (Copenhagen), England (London), Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (Skopje), Germany (Munich), Hungary (Budapest), Israel (Jerusalem), Italy (Rome), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Republic of Ireland (Dublin), Romania (Bucharest), Russia (Saint Petersburg), Scotland (Glasgow), Spain (Bilbao), Sweden (Stockholm), Wales (Cardiff).

The semi-Final and Final package of three matches has only two bidders
Germany (Munich) or England (London)

That means of the 19, seven will not get matches - hopefully these will be countries that can stage full tournaments. In particular, I hope whichever of England and Germany does not stage the semi-finals and final, misses out altogether.
I would also disqualify Russia, Spain and Italy as being "too big" - so if UEFA follow my logic, they only need to discount three more! (And some may well fail the technical evaluation)

Decision in September
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:there are 19 bids to stage group matches in Euro 2020
12 cities will be selected to stage four matches, which equates to three group matches and a knock out match (in the "second" round or quarter-final)

The 19 are
Azerbaijan (Baku), Belarus (Minsk), Belgium (Brussels), Bulgaria (Sofia), Denmark (Copenhagen), England (London), Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (Skopje), Germany (Munich), Hungary (Budapest), Israel (Jerusalem), Italy (Rome), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Republic of Ireland (Dublin), Romania (Bucharest), Russia (Saint Petersburg), Scotland (Glasgow), Spain (Bilbao), Sweden (Stockholm), Wales (Cardiff).

The semi-Final and Final package of three matches has only two bidders
Germany (Munich) or England (London)

That means of the 19, seven will not get matches - hopefully these will be countries that can stage full tournaments. In particular, I hope whichever of England and Germany does not stage the semi-finals and final, misses out altogether.
I would also disqualify Russia, Spain and Italy as being "too big" - so if UEFA follow my logic, they only need to discount three more! (And some may well fail the technical evaluation)

Decision in September
Love to see Parken stage a few games.

Israel could provide an interesting diplomatic situation. English people get about, and you will always find them where oil and similar is - throughout the Gulf. Plus a lot of people in England and France etc will have ancestors in places like Syria, Libya, Saudi etc. Will we see instances of fans with tickets being turned away at the airport because they have a visa stamp from one of Israel's antagonists?