World Cup Squads - Quiz

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

leohoenig
I will introduce a few stats to the board later in the day or tomorrow as time permits, but lets start with a quiz
All of this is based on the squad lists as shown on the bbc web site (as of 5/June) and the clubs players are said to represent. It could include a few inaccuracies as I am not perfect at transcribing data. Loan players are considered to represent the clubs they are loaned to.

1) Which countries (if any) do not have a single player from their domestic league
2) Which countries (if any) rely entirely on players from their domestic league
3) Which country uses players from the most different domestic leagues
4) How many domestic leagues are represented
5) Which country has the most players in the English leagues, excluding England.
Shade
Oooh...5 complete guesses without looking at the squads

1) Honduras, Costa Rica
2) Iran, Russia ...Italy?
3) Colombia
4) 43
5) Nigeria?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Oooh...5 complete guesses without looking at the squads

1) Honduras, Costa Rica
3) Colombia
4) 43
5) Nigeria?
Iran - A. Dajegah plays for Fulham.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:Oooh...5 complete guesses without looking at the squads

1) Honduras, Costa Rica
3) Colombia
4) 43
5) Nigeria?
Iran - A. Dajegah plays for Fulham.
If that's the only one I got wrong I'd be bloody amazed :lol:
leohoenig
No, you did get the only team that only uses players from the local league, but which one?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:No, you did get the only team that only uses players from the local league, but which one?
Russia, following the dropping of Pogrebnyak from the squad, who was the only overseas player for them in Euro 2012 if I recall correctly.
leohoenig
1) None. I had originally though Uruguay was the answer to the question, and if you take the BBC listing, this would be accurate. However, he has been on loan back at his old club, Nacional and hence is listed as playing in Uruguay. Three other countries only use a single player from their national league, Ghana, Bosnia and Ivory Coast. All of this trio are goalkeepers. The Africans on the whole use local players the least with the only two using two only from their national squads, Algeria and Cameroon - both Algerians and one from Cameroon is a goalkeeper, while the fifth African contender, Nigeria name three (also including a goalkeeper). Croatia, Columbia and perhaps surprisingly Argentina have only three local players in their squads. The Argentinian League also supplies Columbia with three players, while the Columbian league includes one foe Ecuador

2) Russia. All but one of the English squad plays in England, the exception being Forster, the Celtic keeper. Next up with 20 is Italy. All the other three play for Paris St.Germain. I have 17 listed Germans in the Bundesliga, with four in England (Mertesacker, Ozil, Schurrie and Podolski) one each in Italy and Spain. Mexico and Spain use 15 apiece from their own leagues. Iran uses 14, Japan 11, Honduras, Netherlands and USA 10

3) Ghana, with 13 leagues represented. Five Ghanaians play in each of Italy and France, two in Russia and South Africa, with one each from England, Germany, Greece, Netherlands, Belgium, UAE, Tunisia, Norway and Ghana itself. Nigeria comes close with six of the squad in England, three in Nigeria, two each in Turkey, France, Belgium and Israel, one each in Spain, Italy, Ukraine, Russia, Netherlands and Scotland. Australia, Uruguay and Costa Rica all bring their squad in from 11 countries, while Columbia, Ecuador, Bosnia and Algeria use 10.

4) My count is 50 exactly. Which means 18 non contestants have their leagues represented. The non contesting country with most players in their league is Turkey, with 26. followed by Ukraine 9, China 6, Norway 5, Scotland 4, Qatar 3, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Israel, South Africa, Tunisia, Sweden & Austria 2, Hungary, Kuwait, Bulgaria, Paraguay and Denmark 1

5) Belgium with 11. The English leagues provide players to 28 of the 32 squads - only Costa Rica, Italy, Switzerland and Russia are excluded. 119 players from the English leagues are involved. Surprisingly this is exactly the same as my count for the 2010 World Cup, although then there were five countries (Uruguay, Japan, Italy, Germany and North Korea excluded). In 2010, the German and Italian squads both used local players only, while 20 of the North Koreans played within their own country, two in Japan (both Japanese born), and one in Russia. Spain alsoused 20 locals, with the other three in England

Going back to this year, the other big hitting leagues in terms of World Cup players are Italy 80, Germany 78, Spain 67, France 45 and Russia 34. Tie 7th on the list is Mexico and Turkey (26 each). The Portuguese leagues are represented by 23, while Netherlands and USA by 20.

Both England and Italy have exactly the same numbers in 2014 as 2010, but Germany has dropped from second place (it had 84 in 2010). The Spanish leagues have increased their numbers from 59, France is unchanged at 45. Russia have climbed considerably up the table, but then the number of non-Russian world cup players in the Russian league has dropped. The Netherlands leagues provided 34 in 2010, a big drop there

England supply players to 28 squads, Germany 23, Italy and Spain 21, France 16 and Netherlands 10. With ten of the 20 players from the Netherlands playing in their own squad, it means the other 10 are spread over 9 teams with only Australia having two.

There are no less than 12 countries where the only players who made the cut play for their own country. These are Cameroon, Chile, Australia, Ivory Coast, Ecuador, Honduras, Bosnia, Iran, Nigeria, Ghana, Algeria, Uruguay

I do not think I can attach data files to this post, but you can find my data here
http://nonleaguematters.co.uk/forum/gfo ... ost=595133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;