The World Cup

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
is it me getting older?
is it the fact that England are out?
is it because we are swamped on TV with every game (including the moronic punditry before and after games)

whatever it is I just cannot seem to get interested...

why?

back in the 60's 70's even though players were professionals in terms of being paid by their clubs, their attitude was professional - pride in their country, and the game seemed fairly adjudicated - no talk of corruption in making decisions regarding forthcoming venues etc

now there are allegations of bungs in high places. Off the pitch fall-outs - petulant tantrums by players from teams, allegations that players choose not to play for their countries, on the pitch cheating diving and thuggery.

its not the same game anymore - it used to be about enjoyment, skill and honour. Now its about MONEY
Si Robin
Whilst I agree about it being about money, I have to say that this has been the most entertaining World Cup that I have watched personally (England aside). The first one I remember being USA 94.

Read a stat this morning that there have been 145 goals already in this World Cup, the same as the total amount of goals in the 2010 World Cup.

I do think some of the punditry has been awful though, on both ITV and the BBC. Only Danny Murphy and Clarence Seedorf, with sprinklings of Thierry Henry, have actually been constructive and informative.
Ralph
i think this has been a wonderful WC. First one i really remember was 70. Some great games along the way. The people we have here talking about the games have been great. ESPN have been a credit for the way they have covered it
leohoenig
Tim Vickery actually knows what he is talking about - he is the only pundit I think is worth the fee he gets paid.
Frankly, the BBC coverage of sport is pretty awful these days, if you want proof that it is not just the football coverage that suffers, try watching a bit of Wimbledon. What is it that they have to keep repeating themselves, and also these segments set to music? Can't we just see the action.

I almost never simply watch live TV sport. I either sit with it on, and have something else going on as well, either conversation or a computer screen - sometimes a book - or ignore it altogether. Few of the games have enough going on to grab my complete attention. And those comments are for a good world cup, there is no doubt that the football in this one is better than other recent cups.

The TV companies, of course, always hype the current World Cup while it is on, so just because they are telling you this is a great one, and the last few were not; you have to remember they did not say the other tournaments were not so good while they were being played. Similarly, they forget that games such as the Costa Rica v Greece were for the most part dull, as it had an exciting climax at 90 minutes, and then a penalty shoot out.

P.S. Like Ralph, the first WC I remember was 1970
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Well into this world cup. England being out means I can take each game on face value and find reasons to get behind other teams. Been great games so far and looking like a number of teams can win it. Going to be tough when the games are less frequent. Wimbledon and TdF will have to fill the void.

Good attacking play and goals. Great to see players like Rodriguez shining. Not like the last few competitions where we just had to watch Spain plod about. So much late drama in recent games too.

I do agree the punditry and commentary is the worst I have ever seen. So awful.
Ralph
This is who we have here. Can't be bothered to type them all. http://worldsoccertalk.com/2014/06/10/a ... up-talent/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Agree with nearly everything above The only thing I'd like to add is if you think there weren't big brown bags filled with money being passed around in the 60/70's then you have a very rosie view of the past! The only difference is that now everybody is much more aware of the fact that FIFA is bent and the corruption is probably done in different ways!

As for the punditry, the only decent commentary I've heard over 90 minutes was Simon Brotherton with Danny Murphy. Heard some absolute tripe from the usual suspects like Clive Tyldsley and Andy "I'm certain until I've seen something 20 times and then I might change my mind to what everybody else thought at the time" Townsend. But the worst I've possibly ever heard (David Pleat aside) was Croatia v Mexico, Alistair Mann and Danny Higginbotham, obviously sat in a studio watching it from far away. Pure garbage for 90 minutes. Oh and Clarke Carlisle, Sam...bloke doesn't know his arse from his elbow, Sam, let alone who plays for what country, Sam. Or even, at one point, what country is playing in the game he's watching, Sam!!!
The annoying thing is that there are some really good commentators (Martin Tyler, Jon Champion) and pundits working the world cup, but they're working for foreign TV.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Danny Murphy been good on BBC and Glenn Hoddle the pick of the ITV mob imo.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Danny Murphy been good on BBC and Glenn Hoddle the pick of the ITV mob imo.
Agree. Hoddle always knows what he's going on about. Just a shame he was hounded out of the England managers job when he was.
Si Robin
I'd say he deserved the sack for his statement.

A shame he was an idiot because, I agree, he could have gone on to have been a brilliant England manager.
Shade
Oh I forgot about what he said. Yeah it was stupid but who hasn't been.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Oh I forgot about what he said. Yeah it was stupid but who hasn't been.

51/84 put Hoddle in his place.
leohoenig
The problem is not who is in charge of the National team - there is no point in sacking Hodgson, because it will not change the basic problem - the detail of the problem is on the fifa web site for everyone to see.

England has (according to FIFA, and hence according to the FA) 42,490 football clubs
Germany has 26837
The Netherlands has 4856

According to the FA, there are 1,486,000 registered players - which is under 3% of the population, and means the average club has 35 players.
In the Netherlands and Germany, about 7% of the population are registered footballers, and the average club in each has 235 players.

Now, the fact that different counting methods may be used, means that the exact statistics are skewed, but the balance is correct - I have traveled frequently across Europe and I can see that the difference is accurate.

One of the results of this is there are a massive number of youth football clubs in England without qualified coaches. In countries such as Netherlands and Germany, there is a uniform coaching structure that covers all youth football within a club - and many clubs are inclusive rather than exclusive. That is they run the correct number of teams in each age ground in order to give every player a game, rather than running a single team. (I know you can name clubs that do not work like this, but the majority of them do work as I have said). I am sure that the numbers of coaches in the UK is not a higher in relation to the number of players than in other countries, and that many coaches whose only qualification is to have played a little are coaching youth teams.

If England is ever to win the World Cup again, we need to fundamentally change the way we run the game in this country. We need to provide more (and better) coaching to more kids.
confused.com
Shade wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Danny Murphy been good on BBC and Glenn Hoddle the pick of the ITV mob imo.
Agree. Hoddle always knows what he's going on about. Just a shame he was hounded out of the England managers job when he was.
totally disagree :lol: we would then have missed out on all the jokers inbetween
trickster
Shade wrote:Agree with nearly everything above The only thing I'd like to add is if you think there weren't big brown bags filled with money being passed around in the 60/70's then you have a very rosie view of the past! The only difference is that now everybody is much more aware of the fact that FIFA is bent and the corruption is probably done in different ways!

As for the punditry, the only decent commentary I've heard over 90 minutes was Simon Brotherton with Danny Murphy. Heard some absolute tripe from the usual suspects like Clive Tyldsley and Andy "I'm certain until I've seen something 20 times and then I might change my mind to what everybody else thought at the time" Townsend. But the worst I've possibly ever heard (David Pleat aside) was Croatia v Mexico, Alistair Mann and Danny Higginbotham, obviously sat in a studio watching it from far away. Pure garbage for 90 minutes. Oh and Clarke Carlisle, Sam...bloke doesn't know his arse from his elbow, Sam, let alone who plays for what country, Sam. Or even, at one point, what country is playing in the game he's watching, Sam!!!
The annoying thing is that there are some really good commentators (Martin Tyler, Jon Champion) and pundits working the world cup, but they're working for foreign TV.
I’ve got to say I don’t believe there was brown paper bags of money changing hands in the 60s, or 70s especially the 60s, the world cup didn’t get going again after the war until 1950 it was fresh and exciting it was the only time our players played players from different continents, now nearly every team in the world cup as a player based in the UK that we all know, bribery as taken place since Adam and Eve but I think it wasn’t like it in those days regarding football and I believe people were naively honest right down to the players who regarded an international cap as the pinnacle of their career, today they send in a sick note to miss a match if they don’t rate it’s importance, money rules everything these days.

Gambling is almost the sole problem with players taking money to fix matches or even sending offs etc, big Asian syndicates fix matches to win millions around the world, again it was never heard of in the 60s betting shops only became legal in 1961 and no one bet on football apart from the apply named fixed odds because everyone was trying to win 75k on the football coupons, and nearly every house hold in the country did the pools, times have changed not all for the good but I don’t think it’s fair to believe things must have been bent then because they are now.

Sepp Blatter wasn’t in office until 1998 I believe the truth of his reign will be exposed one day.
Si Robin
Not to do with the World Cup, but this took place in 1964:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Briti ... ng_scandal
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:Not to do with the World Cup, but this took place in 1964:

corruption as old as the hills.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:Not to do with the World Cup, but this took place in 1964:

corruption as old as the hills.
leohoenig
And of course, before Blatter there was Havelange.
trickster
Havelange didn't take up the position until 1974 and in the later part of his reign Blatter was Fifa general secretary so he should have had some idea what was going on, nothing that’s been said as changed my mind the world was a better place then money and corruption as slightly spoilt the beautiful game, it's still a beautiful game but beauty is only skin deep these days scratch the surface and it's not so nice.

We won the cup in 66 when game was relatively clean, a top players reward in those days was to retire from football with enough money to become the landlord of a pub, and playing for your country was the top honour you could receive, I take my hat off to the boys of 66 they did us proud.

Now talking about this world cup it’s been a bit of a disappointment to me, a lot of stale mates no team exciting the world like the boys from Brazil in 1970, or the game between Brazil 2 Italy 3 1982 with players like Zico, Socrates and Falcao for Brazil and Bruno Conti, Marco Tardelli and Paolo Rossi for Italy, teams seem to rely on one player these days, whether it's a Messi, Neymar or even Luis Suarez if that player doesn't perform they are dead in the water, it's all got very predictable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3yq2wSSXpE&feature=kp
trickster
leohoenig wrote:The problem is not who is in charge of the National team - there is no point in sacking Hodgson, because it will not change the basic problem - the detail of the problem is on the fifa web site for everyone to see.

England has (according to FIFA, and hence according to the FA) 42,490 football clubs
Germany has 26837
The Netherlands has 4856

According to the FA, there are 1,486,000 registered players - which is under 3% of the population, and means the average club has 35 players.
In the Netherlands and Germany, about 7% of the population are registered footballers, and the average club in each has 235 players.

Now, the fact that different counting methods may be used, means that the exact statistics are skewed, but the balance is correct - I have traveled frequently across Europe and I can see that the difference is accurate.

One of the results of this is there are a massive number of youth football clubs in England without qualified coaches. In countries such as Netherlands and Germany, there is a uniform coaching structure that covers all youth football within a club - and many clubs are inclusive rather than exclusive. That is they run the correct number of teams in each age ground in order to give every player a game, rather than running a single team. (I know you can name clubs that do not work like this, but the majority of them do work as I have said). I am sure that the numbers of coaches in the UK is not a higher in relation to the number of players than in other countries, and that many coaches whose only qualification is to have played a little are coaching youth teams.

If England is ever to win the World Cup again, we need to fundamentally change the way we run the game in this country. We need to provide more (and better) coaching to more kids.
I think we could have the best coaches and coaching system in the world and still not win the world cup, it’s all about the mind set of our players the determination to win for some reason isn’t there, the pride to play for your country doesn’t stir our players from within, the other teams are not afraid to show their pride it’s been spoke about for years when the national anthem is played our players mumble a few words and mime their singing whereas players in other teams put hand on heart and belt their national anthem out, some of them to the point of tears.

If there is a shrink out there that can give our players the same kind of emotion I believe we are on our way to winning the European or World Cup, I don’t think it’s just a skill problem but a sociological problem, until our players conquer whether it is the fear of losing and this nervous embarrassment of representing their country they seem to show and the realisation they are there on merit and start producing what they are capable of until then we have no chance.

I don’t think its better coaching we need but if anyone can engineer a different mindset and a different approach to the game we will always struggle against a team dedicating all their natural energy to beat us, while we seem choked up inside and unable to play without any real freedom, we can’t express ourselves on the pitch until we break the chains there will be more heart break and misery.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Knowing that the media and almost everyone in England is waiting for the smallest excuse to slag off the players can't help.

In Columbia or somewhere if a player tries a confident trick or shot, even if it doesn't pay-off it will be met with cheers and applause. In the UK these days it will result in the hurling of bile from the fans.

Apart from the money from a club salary I cannot see any pleasure in playing football in this country due to the attitude of the fans.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Knowing that the media and almost everyone in England is waiting for the smallest excuse to slag off the players can't help.

In Columbia or somewhere if a player tries a confident trick or shot, even if it doesn't pay-off it will be met with cheers and applause. In the UK these days it will result in the hurling of bile from the fans.

Apart from the money from a club salary I cannot see any pleasure in playing football in this country due to the attitude of the fans.
that is of course, unless you score an own goal
trickster
Watched Brazil v Colombia and without wishing to spoil anyone’s dream Brazil are into the semi-final but they look a poor team, the Germans don't look anything special but should be able to beat Brazil with their discipline and organisation.
CTFC03
Germany also know how to win when the pressure is on, Brazil are so poor at holding onto the ball and closing games out, Germany win for me.
trickster
You can get 2/1 (21/10) on Germany, also with Neymar looking doubtful (hasn’t been great) the Germans look worth a flutter at those odds.

Update: doubt 2/1 will be available in the morning the money is starting to go on to Germany only Corals still offering 2/1.

Further update: 2/1 no longer available with anyone, I expect Germany to shorten some more, think anyone who got on early could make a killing if it comes off.
trickster
Surprisingly you can still get 19/10 with Corals but they are as short as 6/4 with some bookies, still think that nearly 2/1 is great odds for Germany to beat Brazil over 90mins.