Recurring theme of the world cup

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CTFCrobin
Having watched all the games bar 1 (Argentina v Iran)

I have noticed that all 4 of the teams in the Semi finals have not been the best 4 teams at the world cup. Yes they are all footballing nations and they are big footballing countries with household names etc.

BUT do they all deserve to be in the semi finals?

The likes of Costa Rica, Colombia, USA, Algeria, Chile etc. have all played the better football of the tournament and I believe have been very unlucky to lose their respective matches. The likes of Argentina and Brazil have scraped through a number of their games. I.e. Brazil v Chile, Argentina v Switzerland.

do they have that world class ability to pull through games even when they aren't playing well? or is it just luck they've had throughout the tournament so far?

It just seems to me that the large majority of games this world cup has seen the second best team in a game has gone on to win/qualify?
Malabus
If they are in the semi-finals then they deserved to be there. England didn't deserve anything in this competition.
CTFCrobin
I haven't said anything about England being in the semi finals or anything malabus?

I'm merely stating that teams such as chile who I believe deserve to be there instead of 1 of the 4.

England had a shocking world cup and did not deserve to go through with their performances?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting one - the 'big teams' definitley have something to get them through. Argentina vs Iran had Messi, and again Di Maria in the next round and then Higuain in the next.

Brazil have had a) the ref on their side and b) luck - Chile hitting the bar.

Holland again a few moments of great goal and diving against Mexico and luck against Costa Rica who should have had a penalty.

Germany are just Germany and will always find a way through.

Ultimately though - it's all about taking your chances. If Chile etc deserved to go through they would have scored the big chances. But if you don't convert you don't deserve it.
CTFCrobin
Agreed about Holland RCS.

Although I think Robben is a fantastic player I cannot stand his cheating. the penalty he got against Mexico was embarrassing. I know the defender did make contact with him but he only stepped on his foot which didn't warrant his theatrical dive at all! Had that penalty not been awarded I think mexico would of gone on to win that game.. however, we will never know
CTFC03
Can see Brazil winning it because of the officials.
confused.com
CTFCrobin wrote:Agreed about Holland RCS.

Although I think Robben is a fantastic player I cannot stand his cheating. the penalty he got against Mexico was embarrassing. I know the defender did make contact with him but he only stepped on his foot which didn't warrant his theatrical dive at all! Had that penalty not been awarded I think mexico would of gone on to win that game.. however, we will never know
Didn't hear any howls of protest when Owen was doing it for England........
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:

Justice was done in that game.
confused.com
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
confused.com wrote:

Ahhh so there is no debate about the actual morals of diving ? ends v means ???
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
confused.com wrote:
confused.com wrote:
Ahhh so there is no debate about the actual morals of diving ? ends v means ???
Well - Owen dived against Argentina which was wrong and he was criticised rightly, but then Beckham got sent-off and Argentina won so justice was done. Had England progressed then people would have been right to be saying the same things about England as I posted about The Netherlands above.

As for morals - criticism and yellow cards in my opinion should be dished out regardless of the situation, whether 5-0 up, 91st minute winner, friendly match, whatever.

Or, the alternative is to accept it as a legitimate tactic players can use and put the onus on the officials to judge whether it's a penalty/free-kick/elbow/etc or not.
Si Robin
Well - Owen dived against Argentina which was wrong and he was criticised rightly, but then Beckham got sent-off and Argentina won so justice was done. Had England progressed then people would have been right to be saying the same things about England as I posted about The Netherlands above.
What about his dive in 2002?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Remind me of the team/game?
Si Robin
Argentina-England. England winning thanks to a very dubious David Beckham penalty won by Owen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ah yes, Sapporo Dome. Dive - end of.
Shade
Any tactics against Argentina are justified.
asl
Shade wrote:Any tactics against Argentina are justified.
The Belgrano was fair game, I agree.
Shade
The Belgrano took a dive.

Too soon?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:The Belgrano took a dive.

Too soon?
Nah, it was last century, so sink away.