Squad is nearly complete - final signings where?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
So the squad is almost complete with 22 on board our about to be confirmed, where would you want the final signings assuming we will make 1-2 permament and 1-2 loans?

For me I would take a winger, central midfielder and left back in that order, we can then ship out Taylor/CBB if we can find suitors. All three remaining signings should go straight into the first eleven leaving us something like this:

Carson (GK)
Vaughan (RB)
Brown (CB)
New Signing (CB)
New Signing/Black (LB)
Richards (CM)
Hall (CM)
New Signing/Taylor (CM)
Haworth/Gornell (FORWARD)
Cureton/New Signing (FORWARD)
Harrison (Striker)

Cureton could replace Harrison up front if we play the ball to feet rather than lumping it up in the air otherwise we may need another striker in too.

I do think the above eleven could keep us out of trouble but again any injuries and we would start to be exposed.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I would like to see a wide midfielder who can play left or right. We have Haworth and Kotwica, who else?
Robin
Sterling-James is the other one however I thought we were playing 4-3-3 so unless we change to 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 we will be using forward players rather than wingers.
Cinderford robin
Omar - Stirling - james
Robin
Do you see him starting for us then Cinders? My assumption is that he will occasionally make the bench and anything else is a bonus.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Sterling-James is the other one however I thought we were playing 4-3-3 so unless we change to 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 we will be using forward players rather than wingers.
Ah yes, of course - assuming his six months goes well.

I would like to think we can be flexible. We may be setting out 4-3-3, but of during a game we need to change it we need to have the options available.
Cinderford robin
I have seen him at Evesham and against rovers and think he's a very talented winger/forward and if he's coached right he could be slightly better than maglashan. I agree with the club giving him a 6 month contract so his level don't drop and he's has to work hard to stay.
Robin
If he is better than McGlashan the danger would be that we get minimal compensation if he goes to league one after the six months.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I wonder if we have a clause in his six months that we get first option on him should we want it?
Nesty
Cinderford robin wrote:Omar - Stirling - james
Omari
Shade
You can give up on the "ship CBB out" bit Robin, he's not on the list and he's been handed the no. 3 shirt. He isn't going anywhere soon. Also, Harrison over Cureton any day, whether it's to feet or not. Byron has proved he's got more ability with his feet and head at this stage of their careers already.
kags
Really hope the Ian Evatt signing comes off if true. On top of that I reckon another central midfielder and a striker who can play as part of the front 3. Preferably not Cureton or Taylor filling these positions either.
Robin
I agree CBB/Taylor will likely be stuck here until their contracts run out I am saying I would try to move them on though.

As for Byron he did well last season but I am not convinced his movement or finishing is better than Jamie's even at this stage of their careers. I hope we start Byron in the centre of the front three with Jamie and another playing off him. Kind of how Liverpool played a front free i.e. relying upon pace and movement rather than long balls.
thetonga
4-3-3 and 4-5-1 are in essence the same formation. I'd much rather have Haworth and Kotwica or Sterling James flanking Harrison rather than Gornell or Cureton, didn't last season teach us that players shouldn't be playing out of position if we want to get anywhere.
Robin
It depends if we are playing with wide attackers or three strikers in my view Tonga. Liverpool play with strikers, whereas we used to play with wide attackers during Wembley season. Either approach needs a different type of game i.e. direct or quick passing movement with pace.
thetonga
I think that the pre season games have showed far that Gornell cannot play there and would be better as a substitute striker, with Kotwica and Sterling James offering much more from wide positions. Also it doesn't look like Cureton will be signing so maybe perusing another wide man could be beneficial if the two young wingers are a little raw to begin with.
51/84
Assuming we have the goally sorted then I would want
another CB ( Evatt ideal) or RB/CB
a ball playing CM
and a striker not cureton

I think Taylor and CBB could go on loan a bit later if we have can rely on the new players
Assuming CBB is cheap then he can stay until its sorted.
Providing we can get a quality midfielder let Taylor go out soon

Stiker is critical
Malabus
Looks like the Sterling-James deal means our youth sent out to Redditch.
http://m.redditchadvertiser.co.uk/sport ... or_Robins/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CheltRobin
We deffo need another CB, Striker and another experienced winger. Agree with those saying that Gornell and Cureton cant play on the wing - they have to play as Strikers. Harrison will be the main man up front this season (to start with anyway).

Gornell will struggle to start many matches in a 4-3-3 system and I don't think MY will sign JC now as he's looking at 2 other strikers. If both turn us down, then he might return to JC as a last resort.