God Save The Queen vs Land Of Hope and Glory vs Jerusalem

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CheltRobin
Whilst watching the Commenwealth Games, noticed they didnt use GSTQ as the anthem for England.

So why does the England National Football Team it? Isn't GSTQ the anthem for the whole of the UK?

My preference would be to change from GSTQ to either of other 2 anthems. They are both more uplifting anthems IMO.

What does anyone else prefer?
asl
CheltRobin wrote:Isn't GSTQ the anthem for the whole of the UK?
Yes - and that's kinda the point, isn't it? Having separate anthems helps give the home nations their own identity.

Personally, I hate the dirge that is GSTQ. It'd help if only Brian May was allowed to perform it - but it's still one of the dullest. Billy Connolly once suggested the theme tune from The Archers as an alternative...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
What do England Rugby use?
Si Robin
England rugby use GSTQ as well, but they have their own terrace anthem (Swing Low, Sweet Chariot). The English football team doesn't even have that.

For me, I'd go with Jerusalem. Something about that song really gets me going in a patriotic way, and I loved when the England cricket team adopted it for the 2005 Ashes.
Shade
I was actually reading about this several days ago. It was put to a public vote to use Jerusalem at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi 4 years ago, and will be used for England's Commonwealth teams in the future. GSTQ is the British national anthem but England football and rugby teams use it anyway, but it's purely out of choice.
confused.com
Shade wrote:I was actually reading about this several days ago. It was put to a public vote to use Jerusalem at the Commonwealth Games in Delhi 4 years ago, and will be used for England's Commonwealth teams in the future. GSTQ is the British national anthem but England football and rugby teams use it anyway, but it's purely out of choice.
Shocked that the public in Delhi had any stong opinions on the topic, one way or the other :lol: :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sorry I haven't read the subject or the previous posts - what's this about?
CheltRobin
Which of the 3 anthems should be played for the England National Team?