Looking at the L2 table

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
I see our former manager is doing a grand job at Crawley -
Robin
I think it goes some way to proving the "Yates in" group were very wrong, keeping Yates on was up there with the Mad Dog shambles and a large contributing factor to why we were relegated. That said, we've landed on our feet with GJ.
solihullkev
In fairness to Yates, there are a lot of challenges at Crawley.
vickeryc
And also in fairness to Yates, his first couple of seasons here were good.
Robin
What when he led us to our lowest ever finishes at the time Vickery? I think you mean his middle two seasons were fairly good.
TheRaven
When he took ever nobody could have been surprised if we had dropped out of the league. We were broke and ruined by the previous calamitous incumbent. Nobody should forget what MY did for this club when he joined us. Some people have very short memories when it suits.
asl
His first two seasons were great, surpassing expectations in his second. His third was a disastrous waste of one of the best squads we have ever had. After that, the plot was well and truly lost.

IMO.
little mo
For some reason I just cant stop yawning, think I will go for a lie down. :roll: :roll:
vickeryc
Robin wrote:What when he led us to our lowest ever finishes at the time Vickery? I think you mean his middle two seasons were fairly good.
Yes, his middle two seasons were very good and surpassed the expectations of most fair-minded supporters. As Raven pointed out, Yates took over half way through 2009/10, by which time Allen had virtually wrecked the club. Yates did well to keep us up that season; consolidated in 2010/11; then had his golden spell before things went downhill. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think Yates was perfect and I knew, like everyone else, when it was time for him to go. However, to suggest it was all his fault that we finished third from bottom in 2009/10 is absurd.
vickeryc
little mo wrote:For some reason I just cant stop yawning, think I will go for a lie down. :roll: :roll:
Point taken, but don't bother reading posts that you think are likely to bore you.
little mo
vickeryc wrote:
little mo wrote:For some reason I just cant stop yawning, think I will go for a lie down. :roll: :roll:
Point taken, but don't bother reading posts that you think are likely to bore you.
The post mentioned League 2, which I am interested in. Only having a laugh mate, lighten up. :)
vickeryc
little mo wrote:
vickeryc wrote:
The post mentioned League 2, which I am interested in. Only having a laugh mate, lighten up. :)
Me too. Enjoying the banter. :D
CTFC03
Not a Yates fan. He should've have walked much MUCH sooner, repeated mistakes went unpunished by the board, boring interviews, too many 1 month loans, the holiday camp atmosphere, the non triers who admitted they weren't trying then played 90 minutes the next game, WTF.

You couldn't fault his commitment but for me he let us down by not walking away.
vickeryc
Agree entirely with CTFC03, though of course the board should've grasped the nettle much sooner.
leohoenig
I do not understand why so many people on here want Mark Yates to fail at Crawley. He did a great job for us as player and manager, although he should have left the manager's position before he did. Why cannot people wish him well, hope he has learnt from his mistakes here and can be successful with another club?
Robin
Put simply Leo he made a significant contribution to our relegation.
asl
He did - but I still rate him as one of my favourite players. I don't wish him anything other than success (although not when he next manages a team against us, of course.)
Robin
I wouldn't fault him as player he was always committed (if a little lacking with silky skills) and quite often drove the whole team on during our early football league tenure. I just feel his managerial time here was extremely hit or miss and his ego caused the club massive damage by him not resigning and waiting to be sacked hence my sour feeling towards him.
confused.com
other footy pleaseeeeeeeee
Si Robin
CTFC CHAT ONLY
Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, the National League, ex players & Managers
little mo
leohoenig wrote:I do not understand why so many people on here want Mark Yates to fail at Crawley. He did a great job for us as player and manager, although he should have left the manager's position before he did. Why cannot people wish him well, hope he has learnt from his mistakes here and can be successful with another club?
Agree Leo. I have always wished Yatesy well, and always will.
confused.com
Si Robin wrote:CTFC CHAT ONLY
Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, the National League, ex players & Managers
Yeah I know that, but jaysus this has been done to death over and over and over and over and over again. Will get my Delorean out next time.
Besides, have to agree with Leo, I find schadenfreude a particularly dubious trait
trickster
leohoenig wrote:I do not understand why so many people on here want Mark Yates to fail at Crawley. He did a great job for us as player and manager, although he should have left the manager's position before he did. Why cannot people wish him well, hope he has learnt from his mistakes here and can be successful with another club?
Just pointing out no one can list me amongst those that come under that banner, we enjoyed good times with him as a player and not all of his reign as manager was bad, I hope for his sake he does well, there is no point in harbouring a grudge or dwelling on the things that were not so good.