At it again

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

kiaora84
Harry Williams scoring again...
horlickfanclub
As he always will.One of a disapeearing species- natural goalscorer. Discarded far too early by CTFC.Born in the wrong County.
paperboy
horlickfanclub wrote:As he always will.One of a disapeearing species- natural goalscorer. Discarded far too early by CTFC.Born in the wrong County.
Sorry, barely got a kick when I saw him play the other day.
CTFC_Forever
paperboy wrote:
horlickfanclub wrote:As he always will.One of a disapeearing species- natural goalscorer. Discarded far too early by CTFC.Born in the wrong County.
Sorry, barely got a kick when I saw him play the other day.
Sorry, 4 goals in 7 appearances for Gloucester. Two crucial winners in the last 4 matches.

Strikers naturally feed of goods service, I suspect that you are talking about the recent Worcester City game at WR were there was no service at all. But if you look at his minutes to goals ratio the stats do not lie. I am sure that someone will snap him up in Jan. As horlickfanclub says, he's a natural and a disappearing species.
horlickfanclub
Good post CTFC. Nice to see someone here appreciating ability.
Benctfc
I do feel out of the ones released he had the roughest deal given his goal record when out on loan and the fact he never had a run in the team. However what people need to realise GJ sees them everyday in training and he is a better judge of a player than anyone on here and knows whats needed to get out of this league.
Malabus
Lets hope he doesn't destroy his career entirely and sign a contract with Gloucester. A graveyard for soccer players, especially Cheltenham ones.
kiaora84
Interesting to see that Bobbie Dale isn't being released does he have a longer contract? I know he is injured but is he seen as having a chance?
CTFC_Forever
Benctfc wrote:I do feel out of the ones released he had the roughest deal given his goal record when out on loan and the fact he never had a run in the team. However what people need to realise GJ sees them everyday in training and he is a better judge of a player than anyone on here and knows whats needed to get out of this league.
Yes, rough deal but I suspect he will do better away from CTFC. GJ has his own way and type of player he likes. It is very subjective, what suits one may not suit another.

I suspect that like Kotwica, Dale and Bowen, Williams will have no problem finding a club that will build on the foundation that CTFC have provided. But they could have done so much more, but that's opinions for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
horlickfanclub
Bobby Dale will be released as soon as he is fit. As fot the old" Manager sees them in training" Managers at all levels sometimes have blinkers or short term goals.That is not a criticism but just an observation on football. Gj has stated this season that Billy Waters misses sitters in training but still picks him .Good decision as we all know. Somewhere a higher level Manager will back Harry Williams and play him just as GJ has backed players this season who were the unwanted elsewhere.
The next twelve months will reveal whether we let our young players leave too soon.
CTFC_Forever
horlickfanclub wrote:Bobby Dale will be released as soon as he is fit. As fot the old" Manager sees them in training" Managers at all levels sometimes have blinkers or short term goals.That is not a criticism but just an observation on football. Gj has stated this season that Billy Waters misses sitters in training but still picks him .Good decision as we all know. Somewhere a higher level Manager will back Harry Williams and play him just as GJ has backed players this season who were the unwanted elsewhere.
The next twelve months will reveal whether we let our young players leave too soon.
Couldn't agree more. Hope your wrong about Bobbie though, another class act who has a bright future, hopefully still with CTFC.
London Exile
I think Harry Williams will sign for a conference club and do well which will lead to a move into the FL.
It's a shame it hasn't worked out for him at his hometown club but I think he'll follow the path Sam Foley took in taking a step backwards and several forward.
Daveangel
London Exile wrote: It's a shame it hasn't worked out for him at his hometown club.
Cirencester?
London Exile
Daveangel wrote:
London Exile wrote: It's a shame it hasn't worked out for him at his hometown club.
Cirencester?
Ha ha, technically I guess it is a shame for the centurions that he never went through their academy. Being a Balcarras boy though he's certainly an adopted Cheltonian.

Wherever he goes for 2016/17 I wish him all the best, potentially I guess he could end up at Gloucester with maybe a couple of the other lads?
Robin
I can also see a few of the youngsters who have not made the grade going to Gloucester. What alternatives would they have maybe Kiddy locally or Worcester, maybe Bath I don't see too many other options as it's very unlikely they would move up from CTFC Inge next year or two, of course it may change if they can thrive at non-league level.
horlickfanclub
Andrija has gone. Give Harry and Bobby a chance.
Robin
We will sign a new striker soon Horlick.
Ralph
horlickfanclub wrote:Andrija has gone. Give Harry and Bobby a chance.
Giving kids chances now is not the right time. Way too much at stake.
CTFC_Forever
horlickfanclub wrote:Andrija has gone. Give Harry and Bobby a chance.
Lets be honest, do you think they would put either of them in now that they are releasing them at the end of the year? Not likely.

I know that Bobbie is not confirmed due to his injury, but CTFC and GJ will do what they always do, rely on the loan system to do what everyone criticised MY for, using 'cast off's' or development players from the Championship or Prem, in other words develop another clubs player and complete ignore their own.

CTFC have to decide, what is the point of the Academy? The simple and truthful answer is most likely that it is a tool to generate revenue and profit to bolster the playing budget and occasionally sell a little gem that comes through. Why have a development squad? Simply that is to have more kits and equipment to sell and to get some money in the coffers. Also they will have twice the opportunity to get that gem to sell.

I have to applaud the for the good economics and business savvy, but I doubt they will ever do well in developing players for their own team as the are ignored between 18 and 20 and then cast away as they have not had regular enough football at the right level, but most likely are cast off on loan to clubs like Cleeve, Evesham, Cinderford, Gloucester, Farnborough, Oxford City, Telford United or beyond. And even if they score bags of goals like Bobbie Dale did, they will still get the cold shoulder.

Bottom line is they will never take a risk and are never likely to. Its a shame but a harsh reality.
paperboy
I do get cheesed off with these "give the kids a chance" mutterings.
The manager sees these players in training and in practice matches every week and if they were shining he would pick them. Why wouldn't he?
Robin
I think it's a mixture of people letting their hearts rule their head and a few little old Cheltenham brigade who can't believe the club will progress, or even worse prefer we stay down here.
kora
Over the years we have released hundreds of young players; only 2 have gone on to prove the club wrong. Having seen most of the released players recently, I have to agree with GJ to let them go. They are mostly struggling to get in the teams they are with at a lower level so the chances of them suddenly being good enough to play at league 2 level seem quite remote. At least they can now find their level and work hard to prove the club wrong as did Foley and Watkins. Only time will tell but we cannot afford to keep them here through sentiment.
CTFC_Forever
kora wrote: They are mostly struggling to get in the teams they are with at a lower level so the chances of them suddenly being good enough to play at league 2 level seem quite remote.
Explain Joe Hanks then? Played 17 or 18 games for Gloucester out of around 20 games - hardly struggling and had good experience in L2 and has developed since, just not given a chance. People were saying his performances at L2 level were good (some would say easy to be better than the 2 x Richards or Ferdinand, and he was voiced as a future captain.

I think it is not that they are not good enough, it is just that they do not suit the style of play that GJ wants, They were trained in a different way under MY which is not a style or formation that GJ wants to adopt - (well who would anyway)

Player move on all the time, it is a fact, what irritates a lot of people is people on this forum saying that they are not good enough. That is not the case, they are simply not what GJ wants. Deal with it and move on.
Robin
I can think of the following youth teamers, Matt Smith at Fulham, Foley at Vale and Watkins at Barnsley, most seem to drop to Gloucester level or below.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC_Forever wrote:
kora wrote: They are mostly struggling to get in the teams they are with at a lower level so the chances of them suddenly being good enough to play at league 2 level seem quite remote.
Explain Joe Hanks then? Played 17 or 18 games for Gloucester out of around 20 games - hardly struggling and had good experience in L2 and has developed since, just not given a chance. People were saying his performances at L2 level were good (some would say easy to be better than the 2 x Richards or Ferdinand, and he was voiced as a future captain.

I think it is not that they are not good enough, it is just that they do not suit the style of play that GJ wants, They were trained in a different way under MY which is not a style or formation that GJ wants to adopt - (well who would anyway)

Player move on all the time, it is a fact, what irritates a lot of people is people on this forum saying that they are not good enough. That is not the case, they are simply not what GJ wants. Deal with it and move on.
He said 'most' not 'all'.