Still not good enough

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Kayode17
Watched the game live on BT this Sunday. Can't help but think we're still not good enough. Considering we were playing league football last year to only be winning by a single goal, a penalty here, a bit of bad defending there... I want to see us dominate games more. We should be ruining these part-timers. 5-0, 6-0, 7-1 we should be winning by. Especially when you consider the quality we have in the squad?! It'll only come to bite us when we're in a relegation battle again next season if we're playing such poor quality football.
Malabus
Shandy is back.
Ralph
Kayode17 wrote:Watched the game live on BT this Sunday. Can't help but think we're still not good enough. Considering we were playing league football last year to only be winning by a single goal, a penalty here, a bit of bad defending there... I want to see us dominate games more. We should be ruining these part-timers. 5-0, 6-0, 7-1 we should be winning by. Especially when you consider the quality we have in the squad?! It'll only come to bite us when we're in a relegation battle again next season if we're playing such poor quality football.
WUM! Seriously, that the best you can do for a "1st" post? :lol:
Red Duke
Kayode17 wrote:Considering we were playing league football last year to only be winning by a single goal, a penalty here, a bit of bad defending there... I want to see us dominate games more. We should be ruining these part-timers. 5-0, 6-0, 7-1 we should be winning by. Especially when you consider the quality we have in the squad?! It'll only come to bite us when we're in a relegation battle again next season if we're playing such poor quality football.
What utter nonsense. You may not have noticed, but none of the team yesterday played for us in Football League last season (with the exception of Asa Hall - how long did he play for- about 3 minutes). It is a completely NEW team and therefore no comparison can be made between the two in the way you have.
Kayode17
Firstly who's shandy?

Secondly I'll always be Cheltenham through and through (Go to every home game) and support the lads on the day. I just think the way we play has to improve. It'll only set us up for a fall next season if we're not better than this. Far too many games like Sunday's have been won by pure luck. Players like Danny Wright will get found out in the football league, he looks dynamite in this Micky mouse league, but next season he'll be just another Steve Guinan - donkey!! We need to look long term, we can't be too short sighted if we're aiming for double promotion.
Ralph
Kayode17 wrote:Firstly who's shandy?

Secondly I'll always be Cheltenham through and through (Go to every home game) and support the lads on the day. I just think the way we play has to improve. It'll only set us up for a fall next season if we're not better than this. Far too many games like Sunday's have been won by pure luck. Players like Danny Wright will get found out in the football league, he looks dynamite in this Micky mouse league, but next season he'll be just another Steve Guinan - donkey!! We need to look long term, we can't be too short sighted if we're aiming for double promotion.
Proof of WUM status
asl
I've always missed Shanders... I'll say he's a Grimsby fan.
Kayode17
Genuinely confused. Read these forums for a few years, and my nephew showed me how to do a post. so I thought I'd sign up and voice my opinion.

Truly I'm very VERY pleased with our current league position but genuinely concerned about the future, if the brand of football we play doesn't drastically improve.

I won't bother doing a post again- well until we're in a relegation battle next season and I will just pop in to say 'I told you so'. (I hope I'm probed to be wrong).

Either way, come on you robins. Let's get the football back.
Ralph
Kayode17 wrote:Genuinely confused. Read these forums for a few years, and my nephew showed me how to do a post. so I thought I'd sign up and voice my opinion.

Truly I'm very VERY pleased with our current league position but genuinely concerned about the future, if the brand of football we play doesn't drastically improve.

I won't bother doing a post again- well until we're in a relegation battle next season and I will just pop in to say 'I told you so'. (I hope I'm probed to be wrong).

Either way, come on you robins. Let's get the football back.
Top of the league, only 2 defeats all season i think and second highest GD.. You have proved your fakery status of being a CTFC fan
MSB
This season it really doesn't matter how we win, so ling as we do win. We're not going to be playing fantastic football every single game, and let's be honest, this season has been a hundred times better than last. We've smashed some teams, scraped some wins, and claimed narrow victories due to our GJ being more tactically astute than other managers.

Let's worry about this season going to plan before we start worrying too much about next. We have a squad, a manager and a club that we can once again be proud of.
Kayode17
MSB - I do agree with you, it's good to be proud of the club and nice feeling to get three points on a Saturday (or Sunday occasionally).

Maybe yes it doesn't matter too much how we win. But I do think it'll haunt us next season if we're not breeding these players to win games in the right way. We'll come up against stronger opposition such as Bristol Rovers, Plymouth etc who play lovely lovely football and we'll be still be hitting hopeful diag's up to Danny Wright? That'll get eaten by quality defenders.

It's true that the club has the feel good factor back. Akin to that of the Cliver Walker/Grayson/Banks/Watkins days but I'm just worried about the longevity this time around...
everyman
Kayode17 wrote:MSB - I do agree with you, it's good to be proud of the club and nice feeling to get three points on a Saturday (or Sunday occasionally).

Maybe yes it doesn't matter too much how we win. But I do think it'll haunt us next season if we're not breeding these players to win games in the right way. We'll come up against stronger opposition such as Bristol Rovers, Plymouth etc who play lovely lovely football and we'll be still be hitting hopeful diag's up to Danny Wright? That'll get eaten by quality defenders.

It's true that the club has the feel good factor back. Akin to that of the Cliver Walker/Grayson/Banks/Watkins days but I'm just worried about the longevity this time around...
"Donkeys" (horses) for courses ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Kayode - how many debacles would you say there have been this season? And what are your views on the groundshare? Ignore the little old Cheltenham brigade!
Kayode17
RCS- I'd say the pitch is one of my main concerns. Goes to further highlight this short sighted mentality 'get a bit of quick cash' ... But it's stopping any decent football on the deck (players like Munns should a running rings round others, but how can he when having to avoid divots caused by GCFC?!?!)

Basically... I think it could stop us getting promoted as the season continues.

I look back to the days of our quality pitch, players like Brian Wilson, Grant, Forsyth zipping the ball about, playing football that would dominate from the first minute.

As far as this seasons debacles go, I wouldn't say we've been tragic, and we've had SOME great performances (Halifax, Southport, Guisely) - but I see a slippery slope since the Chelmsford game really.

Now you've put it in my mind, maybe the performances are being affected by the pitch. Which mean we could be in for worse as it goes on? GCFC Out in that case!!

As I said, I'm happy of course with winning, but just concerned long term.
Malabus
I like kayode17 he does bring some intelligence and common sense to the forum, which is desperately required, more so in the 'non-footy' section.
paperboy
Fair play to Kayode,he definitely doesn't wear rose-tinted glasses does he.

Let's just worry about this season first though ,rather than next year.
theidlerich
Having just returned from the "game of the season" at Carrow Road - a well planned surprise treat for me! - and watched most, not all, of the game at Dover [on BT sport] it was refreshing to read ky17's missive. Simply my thoughts too - as RGS will acknowledge. I still believe we are short of quality and will struggle to maintain our league position against the better opposition. We have been lucky, very lucky.
Agree with the pitch too - very short term decision and negates quality play; it may be the reason we have returned to 'hoof and hope'!
Fracking - should be banned on Environmental grounds; however the Tories hands are in the back pockets of the major fracking players, so no hope of that.
As for your small fortune - look for a 3 yr high interest locked account; don't go with shares in current market unless you are willing to take a very high risk.
Shade
First time anyone with the name Kayode has garnered this much support from Cheltenham fans... Hardly surprising, given he's very negative...
asl
Malabus wrote:I like kayode17 he does bring some intelligence and common sense to the forum, which is desperately required, more so in the 'non-footy' section.
You're right: it's desperately required in the Non Footy section...
Reliant Robin
I think teams have to adapt to the leagues they are in. Gary Johnson knows what is required to win various leagues as he's successfully proved with several clubs. He often refers to game management. He probably has a trick up his sleeve called 'league management' too. CTFC have adapted to this current league as I am sure we will will do in the next league up if we win this one (and I don't see why not).

Steve Guinan a donkey? Don't agree with that. He won us the Play Off final v Grimsby. He suffered from poor service from supporting players in his last months here. When he moved to Hereford he destroyed us with two superb goals at Edgar Street.
little mo
Superkoz? :o :o
asl
Good shout!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Too intelligent style of writing, too wide a vocabulary and too much correct spelling, grammar and use of punctuation to be Superkoz. Which is probably why Shandy was first suggested.
Artemis
You're right RCS. Kayode17 your alter ego, is he?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:You're right RCS. Kayode17 your alter ego, is he?
Nope.
Moan Moan Moan
I think the Tories should forget about hiring expensive contractors and ask GCFC to send the squad down, they would such a better job than all that costly equipment.

BTW, don't call Danny Wright anything other than what might be racing at Prestbury Park this afternoon.
asl
Er...what...?
Shade
asl wrote:Er...what...?
Terrible 'jokes'. Probably thinks he's of a higher intellect.