Harry Williams to be reunited with Paul Buckle

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

James from the Echo
Full story here: http://bit.ly/HarrySacramento" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reliant Robin
Pray for Harry. He deserves better.

Maybe Buckle will get sacked & then things will rapidly improve.
Ralph
Buckles going to be a daddy in Apr too.
theidlerich
........not another Murdockian saga surely?
horlickfanclub
He may have a different view Reliant. Everyone needs a job.
Reliant Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:He may have a different view Reliant. Everyone needs a job.
Indeed. But all the way to America to find one? And with Buckle :o ???
horlickfanclub
Twenty years old and a chance to go to the USA for experience is a great oppurtunity. Why would he not want to play for Paul Buckle? He showed some faith in him. Maybe Hanks,Bowen and Dale will follow.
Aaron Downes left Australia at a similar age for a much bleaker place.It didn't do him any harm. Why rubbish young players careers?
everyman
horlickfanclub wrote:Twenty years old and a chance to go to the USA for experience is a great oppurtunity. Why would he not want to play for Paul Buckle? He showed some faith in him. Maybe Hanks,Bowen and Dale will follow.
Aaron Downes left Australia at a similar age for a much bleaker place.It didn't do him any harm. Why rubbish young players careers?
A brilliant opportunity for Harry,a job in a warm climate in a different culture and a new language ?
Good luck! he is luckier than the other lads who are just kicking their heels locally.
THECHOIRBOY
Agree a great opportunity. With the sport growing as quickly as it is, there will be opportunity to progress and people like Paul Black have proved to be very successful out there (albeit in league above)
Reliant Robin
Hold on to your Horlicks ! Who said anything about rubbishing young players careers (apart from you)?

It is abundantly clear what I meant. Buckle was the worst thing that happened to this Club. I was expressing some concern for a young player putting his trust in a man who has not got a clue about man management. Frankly I find it hard to believe that anyone can think that Buckle offers anything. Granted, being in America is an absolutely fabulous opportunity for a young lad. I sincerely hope things work out well for Harry, he deserves to do well and we all believed he would do well as he's a natural goal scorer and has proved that wherever he's gone. I can't say the same about Buckle being a success wherever he's gone - he's more like a trail of destruction. I think some people have short memories. I know some Bristol Rovers fans who have very long memories.

My point about going all the way to America, was simply a reflection of the fact that I believe he could and should have been picked up by a decent Club in the UK, as I know he has the ability - but it is a great opportunity for anyone to go to the USA, just not with Buckle. Note: that in my first post in this thread I actually said things would rapidly improve (for Harry in the USA) if Buckle got sacked.
Another_FoD_Robin
Good luck to Harry. If I had the opportunity to work in the USA with my company I'd go (Yes I know he's not on loan). Let his football do the talking regardless of who the manager. Also yes he may should have been snapped up by another club if he was any good further up the pyramid. However, he was released by a Non League club in most managers eyes so they may have seen it as a gamble. So let let the football do the talking for Harry & maybe in 18 months or however long he may fulfil his potential. It's a short career & a better opportunity to progress over there in 'soccer' terms.
horlickfanclub
Well said FOD. Reliant is now scrambling around retrospectively trying to add to his argument. Reliant,you should give credit to Harry for making up his own mind .You can have your opinion on Buckle . I have nver met the man but USA sport fires people relentlessly and one year on he still has a job.Maybe it suits him out there as it might suit Harry Williams.
Reliant Robin
I agree it is a fabulous opportunity for a youngster to spread his wings and go to a place like the USA AND I sincerely wish him well.

There is no need for me to retrospectively scramble around to add to my 'argument'. It's not an argument - it's just an opinion. You are the one who is trying to turn it into an argument because you attacked my original opinion by claiming (wrongly) that I was "rubbishing" young players' careers.

It's a fact that the USA leagues attract pro footballers who are at the end of their careers, as a chance to extend their playing days. I don't see Harry in that bracket. I am acquainted with a couple of people who are well connected with GCFC and they are both of the firm opinion that CTFC has made a mistake in letting Harry go. Mark Halliwell is another who wishes Harry well in the States, but also feels CTFC has made a mistake. But if Harry does really well in the States, then we will all be extremely happy for him, that's beyond question.

I wouldn't want to work anywhere near Buckle - that's just my opinion. I'm entitled to it.
Shade
I agree with you and your sentiments, RR.