Cheltenham Town are "reviewing" groundshare agreement

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

James from the Echo
Full story here: http://bit.ly/CTGCgroundshare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malabus
When we are in L2 we can't share; because GJ will walk away.

Ground share was a major contribution to our demotion last season. This cannot be tolerated again.

They have been here too long, with little news if/when they are getting out. Cheaper for them to pay a small rent fee than to go back to Gloucester.
kags
Smoke and mirrors by Mr Baker I'm afraid. There's no way we can afford to turn down the revenue whilst still unsure if we will be promoted. Gloucester have to get a deal in place by March and I very much doubt we will win the league by then. Fgr won't have them and any other ground near by would need a significant amount of work to bring it up to standards.
paperboy
PB posturing to make sure we can drive the hardest bargain money-wise?
Artemis
Yes. A clever piece of PR that one, on a number of fronts. But ultimately, unless by the end of March we re certain to be in league 2 and / or another 'major sponsorship' is found to replace the profit from the groundshare, then they will here next season. Season after that they're planning to be back in Gloucester. So, keyboard warriors, get used to it or go find another big sponsor.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Artemis wrote:Yes. A clever piece of PR that one, on a number of fronts. But ultimately, unless by the end of March we re certain to be in league 2 and / or another 'major sponsorship' is found to replace the profit from the groundshare, then they will here next season. Season after that they're planning to be back in Gloucester. So, keyboard warriors, get used to it or go find another big sponsor.
Unfirtunately because we don't know the value of the profit the sponsor would have to cover, trying to market the proposition is not easy.

Hopefully PB has learnt now what remedial works the pitch needs and ensures the groundshare provides enough income to cover that.

We have the chairman and manager complaining not enough work is done on the pitch. We have the 500 Club investing in pitch equipment. If the deal is so profit making why does it not fund these things?
everyman
paperboy wrote:PB posturing to make sure we can drive the hardest bargain money-wise?
Also gaining "brownie" points by sympathizing with the g.c.o.campaign.They will be here after Gary Johnson departs i`m afraid.
horlickfanclub
We seem to have money to sign enough players on.
London Exile
Playing devils advocate here I'm wondering if Gloucester City's owner has asked PB not to reveal exact figures of the rent paid to us?
The GCAFC faithful aren't exactly over the moon playing in Cheltenham and with the constant lack of progress on a return back to Gloucester, some of their fans might not be too happy to learn that they are paying us £50/55/60k* + a season and bar takings when nothing is happening back at meadow park.

* pure assumption on these figures but we are told that it's a marked improvement on the original £45k agreement each year the ground share is renewed
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote:Playing devils advocate here I'm wondering if Gloucester City's owner has asked PB not to reveal exact figures of the rent paid to us?
The GCAFC faithful aren't exactly over the moon playing in Cheltenham and with the constant lack of progress on a return back to Gloucester, some of their fans might not be too happy to learn that they are paying us £50/55/60k* + a season and bar takings when nothing is happening back at meadow park.

* pure assumption on these figures but we are told that it's a marked improvement on the original £45k agreement each year the ground share is renewed
Such a scenario would be even more annoying - any new deal signed should be on our terms. If GCFC don't like it they don't have to sign.
leohoenig
I suspect that even London Exile's figures may be short of the mark, when income other than rent is included.
Still, if anyone can come up with £100K (new money) for the next season on condition that Gloucester City's stay is bought to an end, then I suspect there could be a deal.

My own opinion is that we have not diverted enough of the income from Gloucester into pitch maintenance, and the figure has reduced.
(For the record, this is opinion - I only see the information that goes on public record)
andgarod
MK Dons pitch doesnt look good

Leo has probably hit the nail on the head that not enough has been put into the pitch
Since the Hazelwood went up that end has siffered dramtically from rain and lack of sun
Probably time for a new pitch rather than roughing it up and putting seed on it
The longer the summer break the better it will be

Cant the lodgers go to Kingsholm
Reliant Robin
andgarod wrote:MK Dons pitch doesnt look good .....
That's an interesting point about the state of the MK Dons pitch. It was very patchy, with large areas that didn't have much in the way of grass. Yet Chelsea played some excellent football on it, despite the fact that they are only used to the pampered pitches of the Premiership clubs and their own training facility.

I'm not concerned about the state of the Whaddon Road playing surface. If Premiership primaddonas can play on a heavy pitch, there's no reason why our lads can't.
everyman
London Exile wrote:Playing devils advocate here I'm wondering if Gloucester City's owner has asked PB not to reveal exact figures of the rent paid to us?

Surely the money they have paid in rent could have been used to bring another ground in glos.up to the standard reqd.for their level.Some rope for the perimeter,and a bucket of water to wash in ?
London Exile
everyman wrote:

Surely the money they have paid in rent could have been used to bring another ground in glos.up to the standard reqd.for their level.Some rope for the perimeter,and a bucket of water to wash in ?
With hindsight maybe they should've spent the £90k or so that was needed to get MP back up and running and moved back after 12 months. On the plus side their tenancy has probably funded a player a season for us since 2010
horlickfanclub
or paying off .
Horteng
Think its just PB firing a warning shot that the rent will increase if they want to continue using our facilities beyond the current deal

Cant see him saying no to them as all along he has said we cannot survive without the income.

Unless of course he's finally coming to his senses and realising that the state of the pitch is causing problems to the team
CS85
PB is taking it seriously now as our superb manager doesn't like them here.I'm sure gj knows the loss we'd take from Gloucester not playing here........but he obviously feels the quality of the pitch is much more important.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Let's back Gary on this one.
horlickfanclub
It is the Boards decision. Directors direct .Managers manage.