England call-ups

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Two in squad, one on standby:

http://bit.ly/CTFCEngland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malabus
Do we really need this.
Horteng
Just tell us who it is in the thread Jon please instead of sending a link to that unreadable Mickey Mouse website
Shade
Billy Waters and Jack Barthram, with Munns on stand-by. It's on the 22nd March, between games against Braintree and Boreham Wood.
kora
Can't they tell them to shove it, so they can help to ensure they are not elegible next season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ridiculous. I always thought the England C team was semi-pro. If it is not anymore then they should revert back to that. It is an honour for the part-timers but a hindrance for full-time promotion challengers.

I know the BW game at home should be straightforward but we cannot afford any more injuries or time away from the training ground.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Artemis
I'm afraid its the anachronism that is the FA's view of the game at the highest level outside the Football League (or 'non-league'). "Its an honour to be called up for the FA 'C' team, every team should strive to win the FA Trophy". Utter c!#p and double standards, I'm afraid. They regularly permit withdrawals from the full England squad by the big clubs, and lets face it, the bigger clubs only really want to win the FA Cup if they have no hope of qualifying for the Champions League - i.e. where the money is.
Same applies to us, Grimsby and half the teams in the league we find ourselves marooned albeit temporarily. Its all about going up to the Football League - where the money is. Trophy and England call-ups are secondarily important to us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alongside the Woking fixture farce and letting games being played on pitches like Eastleigh's this is just another nonsense from the authorities. If they don't want people to call the VNL tinpot it is about time those in charge got a grip of reality.
paperboy
I predict that at least one of them wil drop out with a groin strain.
Shade
Was just thinking that. Think all 3 might pick up knocks that will take 4 or 5 days to recover from against Boreham.
Artemis
Hope so, but no doubt some dingbat will call 'foul play' and make them play / impose a ban on them. They don't do that with Premier League England players because their clubs have expensive lawyers whom the FA bureaucrats are afraid of
CTFCfan99
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Alongside the Woking fixture farce and letting games being played on pitches like Eastleigh's this is just another nonsense from the authorities. If they don't want people to call the VNL tinpot it is about time those in charge got a grip of reality.
Assume you mean Kiddy not Woking?

Hope they tell them to shove it and stay home.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFCfan99 wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Alongside the Woking fixture farce and letting games being played on pitches like Eastleigh's this is just another nonsense from the authorities. If they don't want people to call the VNL tinpot it is about time those in charge got a grip of reality.
Assume you mean Kiddy not Woking?

Hope they tell them to shove it and stay home.
Yes Kiddy, sorry. Woking wad the FA Tinpot game involved in the shambles.
corinium
What a load of balls.
Have any of you who are saying they should drop out ever come remotely close to
Representing your country at anything?
I can bet both lads are absolutely buzzing about being given a chance to get an England cap
and cannot wait to be involved let's face it they're never gonna get a better chance to represent their country.
But I suppose if you think that CTFC getting promoted should stop these lads chances of doing so then you are very narrow minded and even more selfish.
At the end of the day 17 years ago 5 lads were in a similar position and the outcome that season wasn't too bad was it.
Malabus
corinium wrote:What a load of balls.
Have any of you who are saying they should drop out ever come remotely close to
Representing your country at anything?
I can bet both lads are absolutely buzzing about being given a chance to get an England cap
and cannot wait to be involved let's face it they're never gonna get a better chance to represent their country.
But I suppose if you think that CTFC getting promoted should stop these lads chances of doing so then you are very narrow minded and even more selfish.
At the end of the day 17 years ago 5 lads were in a similar position and the outcome that season wasn't too bad was it.
Club first, nation second.
corinium
Ask anyone that's been in that position and see what their answer is.
And before you ask yes I have
CTFC03
I would not be happy if I was a player in a promotion chasing side being called up to the C squad, it's not the first team, so what's the point?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CTFC could beat England C.
asl
I agree with Corinium: no contest. (And yes, so have I: I'd have willingly crawled over broken glass if they needed me to.)
Flux
Great honour for the lads and the club. Yet again though the snobbery of we are bigger than this and that brigade say these lads should forgo that honour to get our club promoted. Would they also be saying that if this was a full international call up didnt see many complaining when Mike Duff was called up to the Northern Ireland team saying he should concentrate on playing for us. When these lads retire do you not think they will look back and think I achieved my ambition I played for England ok so it was a C squad but its an international call up or would they prefer to look at back and think I refused to play for my country and never achieved my dream.

We are non league (albeit for a season hopefully) due to the failings of the last few years of the club from board to management.

Go ask Jamie Victory, Neil Grayson, Lee Howells, Chris Banks or Dale Watkins if they wished they had turned down the honour of representing their county.

I hope the players go out there and get some game time even if its the only game they ever play for England.
corinium
Exactly and put much better than feeble attempt.