Boreing Wood

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vickeryc
Even before our form dipped, I thought Boreham Wood would be a difficult fixture. They are something of a poor man's Braintree; being well organised and hard to break down without scoring many goals themselves. They are the sort of side we tend to struggle against, as we found when we visited their place. I will be more than happy if we come out of the return fixture with a 1-0 win.
ThelmaChen
It's another cup final. We simply have to win.
London Exile
ThelmaChen wrote:It's another cup final. We simply have to win.
Very true. It's a cliche but we've got 7 cup finals now, win them and we take the title
everyman
London Exile wrote:
ThelmaChen wrote:It's another cup final. We simply have to win.
Very true. It's a cliche but we've got 7 cup finals now, win them and we take the title
Teams that lose form near the end usually fall apart completely through the mental blow of failing to reach their goal,i can see a play-off disaster coming.
vickeryc
Every team goes through ups and downs over the course of a season. The last five games have been our first real blip, though the sequence has included two of our toughest games of the entire campaign, on poor pitches at a time when we've had injuries to key players. Granted, we should've done better than getting a last-gasp equaliser at Welling, and that must go down as a very bad result; but Eastleigh and Braintree were always potential banana skins.

Without meaning to sound complacent, I see no reason why our good form/ fortune shouldn't return in the remaining games. While some of our recent performances have been below par, it's not as if we've been thrashed (like FGR were at Torquay, or Grimsby at Halifax, for example). Amongst the indifferent results was that cracking performance against Woking, which surely offers scope for optimism. After all, we still have the best squad and manager in this division. And that last-gasp equaliser at Welling could yet prove to be the point that secures automatic promotion!
mozzo
Just a thought but does the club have access to a sports psychologist? I would imagine most of our young squad have had no experience of a pointy end of a season whether it be relegation or promotion. I am sure our current form is a mental thing as the effort is clearly there for all to see. Leicester city"s would be nice for a couple of days.
Robin
I thought that was what Downes, Storer, Wright etc added to the squad mozzo?
Artemis
We're still a point in front, with a far superior goal-difference. Form is temporary, class is permanent.
mozzo
Robin, you are confusing mental toughness, self efficacy and personal goal setting achievement with playing experience.
robinsrule
I know a sports psychologist working with top Bundesliga teams and he is absolutely loaded. Good job if you can get it!

(He still can't improve my golf game though :-))
Shade
Gary Johnson is the sports psychologist...