Rob Dickie

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

mozzo
Any news on how Rob Dickie got on for Reading U21's last night? Have everything crossed he is back with us for the Easter period.
Sanguine
The result was 4-4(!), and Rob played the full 90 minutes, but no individual mentions in the source (Easten Daily Press).
Horteng
Need him back to nod some set pieces in as well as defend for us

Im sure GJ is on the case
Chinnamasta
Vital for our remaining games. Been missed. Should be back for Friday?
Oldun
Love to see him play on Friday, (and in every other game) providing he is on the right of back three and not as full back to replace Barts.
Robin
Agree with you all, I am hoping to see 5-3-2 on Friday against Boreham Wood.
Horteng
Im sure Rob will be one of the first subjects to be raised at tomorrow morning's press conference
horlickfanclub
Why do we need three centre halves against Boreham Wood? Its width we need up front and I hope Dayton is back.If Dickie is fit he will play right back and score from a set play.
Shade
horlickfanclub wrote:Why do we need three centre halves against Boreham Wood? Its width we need up front and I hope Dayton is back.If Dickie is fit he will play right back and score from a set play.
Because 3 at the back allows our wing backs to get forward more, providing said width, and also gives us our most effective midfield by not having central players playing out wide.
Robin
I would add it also free's up Munns into his best position behind the front players.
mozzo
Also may adopt a 5-3-2 for Wrexham on Monday so would be useful to use it on Friday as i don't think Burgess has played in that system with us yet. I also think it brings the best out of Barts & mclennon going forward.
Oldun
Have Wrexham still got the left winger who was their MOM when we played them. If so we will need Barts there and Dickie as back up! (Though I think the guy moved on in Jan transfer window?)
London Exile
Oldun wrote:Have Wrexham still got the left winger who was their MOM when we played them. If so we will need Barts there and Dickie as back up! (Though I think the guy moved on in Jan transfer window?)
I think Dominic Vose moved to Scunthorpe in the window. Still be a tricky game up in North Wales
Shade
Vose is now at Scunthorpe. Hasn't made an appearance for them yet and surprised they went in for him considering he hasn't got much of a final ball, really. But he is only 22.
horlickfanclub
If Munns plays Robin who do you drop ? This fullbacks freed up to go forward is a myth. Fullbacks rarely cross as well as wingers. Also the oppo see wingbacks and put players out wide to pin back the wingbacks you get left with two in midfield with noone to pass too. It was only when we went 4 4 2 that the winning run was achieved.
Oldun
There is problem with that though Horlick....we don't have a winger. Unless Dayts is fit and back out wide we end up with square peg syndrome and either someone there reluctantly or someone there wasted. Seem to remember too that with space created for Barts especially there were one or two goals created from him.
There is the option to go to 4 at back if game not going well.
Five at back for me with Pell Storer Hall in mid and two Dannys up front. Lots of options on bench too. Will give Gary a ring later and tell him what to do!
Si Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:If Munns plays Robin who do you drop ? This fullbacks freed up to go forward is a myth. Fullbacks rarely cross as well as wingers. Also the oppo see wingbacks and put players out wide to pin back the wingbacks you get left with two in midfield with noone to pass too. It was only when we went 4 4 2 that the winning run was achieved.

Ummm, no it wasn't.

We played 3-5-2 (5-3-2) from early on in the season right up to Dickie's last game against Chelmsford on 12th December. That means that of our unbeaten run (following defeat to Tranmere) we played 11 games with that formation, and 11 at 4-4-2 when Dickie and Downes were injured (I haven't included Cup and Trophy games).

What was evident was our wins got more scrappy when Dickie went, Altrincham, Kiddy and Torquay were very scrappy (Torquay and Kiddy being particularly awful at the time) followed by the draw at Boreham Wood. We then got the late win against Dover, with James Dayton coming into form. The next few games, with a fit Dayton were much better in terms of performance, but since the draw with Gateshead (shocking performance) we haven't looked very good at all playing 4-4-2.

We look much better playing 3-5-2, more balanced and players playing in more comfortable positions. Without a fit James Dayton, our only out and out winger, we look sluggish playing 4-4-2 and we should avoid it at all costs in my opinion.
asl
I agree with Si - glad I read that post before leaping on that sentence.
London Exile
Definitely 3-5-2/5-3-2 has us looking stronger at the back with natural width in Barts and GMc/Jordan. As others have said, that central midfield 3 with Storer/Pell + 1 makes us more combative in the middle with the ability to control the game.

Really looking forward to Friday now
mozzo
Definitely 5-3-2 for me. Might be worth considering Asa Hall as the third centre back and resting Burgess. He played well in that position at Dover and is more assured on the ball. Storer, Pell, and Munns making up the midfield.
horlickfanclub
Dickie played right back in a four when Barthram was injured.