Munns and Waters

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

solihullkev
Any explanation as to why neither in the squad ?

Seems extraordinary not to have them on bench (assuming not injured). Both match winners / game changers on their day.
Reliant Robin
I suspect GJ wanted height in the Team. No disrespect to smaller players (some of the Worlds greatest players have been, and some still are, well under average height) but in this very physical National League sometimes you need to match the big physical sides for the physical battles, especially against sides battling for play off places - or those trying to avoid relegation.
vikerlane
I do worry about Billy a bit - last home game I saw, he was virtually like a young puppy, running around, but doing nothing on or off the ball, other than throw-in he smacked in Storer's face (assuming not trying to take a throw in but to swap who's taking it).

Maybe trying too hard to prove himself and get back in squad? Dunno... We do need creativity, but we now also have option to just whack it up and let strikers to come up with goods.
Robin
I would have them both in the squad, at the moment Cranston is not offering anything and could switch for George, and bring Waters back on the bench instead.
horlickfanclub
Waters is not going to get in as a striker and cannot stay out on a wing so has to be a squad player. Munns may get in if Hall is out for a bit. We should have signed a wide player instead of Cranston. Rowe is poor on the left.
darreno
We have a competitive squad with only 16 places available. Someone has to be left out.

Would Munns or Waters really have done better than the rest yesterday? Wrexham were decent and didn't look like a ninth placed team.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Also interesting given Gary didn't want them to play international games but then doesn't use them.
Shade
darreno wrote:We have a competitive squad with only 16 places available. Someone has to be left out.

Would Munns or Waters really have done better than the rest yesterday? Wrexham were decent and didn't look like a ninth placed team.
I reckon Munns would have on a fairly decent pitch.
Another_FoD_Robin
I've asked this yet Nesty shot me down? I believe they should be given a chance. Or at least one of them anyway. As mentioned in previous posts.
London Exile
I think with Munns, Barthram, Billy and George this is their first proper season of football where they're regarded as regular first team players. It's a 50 game season with cup matches so GJ is probably resting those lads in particular rather than the other players who are a bit more experienced at this level.
Whether that's the right thing to do or not, who knows but I haven't won this division as a manger or managed a team to promotions in L2 or L1!

I do reckon we'll see Munns start on Friday and Waters back on the bench.
If Hall is carrying a knock from yesterday then that may tempt GJ to rest him completely but not sure who would make way for Billy?

That's the strength of our squad, 1 or 2 players are likely going to watch from the stands in this last month but at least when they're back in the squad they'll be keen to make sure they stay there.
Robin
I think Hall needs a rest anyway at the moment, he's done OK without excelling so a game on the bench or in the stands may allow him to re-charge and re-focus then come back stronger.
everyman
London Exile wrote:I think with Munns, Barthram, Billy and George this is their first proper season of football where they're regarded as regular first team players. It's a 50 game season with cup matches so GJ is probably resting those lads in particular rather than the other players who are a bit more experienced at this level.
Whether that's the right thing to do or not, who knows but I haven't won this division as a manger or managed a team to promotions in L2 or L1!

If Hall is carrying a knock from yesterday then that may tempt GJ to rest him completely but not sure who would make way for Billy?

That's the strength of our squad, 1 or 2 players are likely going to watch from the stands in this last month but at least when they're back in the squad they'll be keen to make sure they stay there.
I would love to see Munns in the team and providing the amo. for a fired up front 3.He must still have the most assists ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
London Exile wrote:I think with Munns, Barthram, Billy and George this is their first proper season of football where they're regarded as regular first team players. It's a 50 game season with cup matches so GJ is probably resting those lads in particular rather than the other players who are a bit more experienced at this level.

I would love to see Munns in the team and providing the amo. for a fired up front 3.He must still have the most assists ?
He does indeed - these are all our assists this season according to the official website. Might be out of date though as Holman might have more and I am sure Wright headed in a Cranston cross recently too. http://www.ctfc.com/stats/player-stats/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

---------------League assists
Jack MUNNS------12
Danny WRIGHT---9
James ROWE-----4
Kyle STORER-----3
Jack BARTHRAM---3
Asa HALL----------2
Billy WATERS------2
Rob DICKIE--------2
Aaron DOWNES-----1
Harry PELL----------1
Amari MORGAN-SMITH--1