First summer signing is...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

James from the Echo
Story here: http://bit.ly/RobinsSigning" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
I heard this a little earlier, seemed solid to me with a good work ethic, strong player and likes a tackle. I feel we just need a winger and perhaps a striker now.
Shade
Ha. I assume this is Connor Jennings brother that I asked about on the other thread earlier.

Scored 6 last season from left back. Goals from our full-backs were just about the only thing missing last season! Apparently he was FGR's captain last season? At 28 he adds a bit more experience to a key area.
Last edited by Shade on 26 May 2016, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
BT labelled him best left back in the VNL during the Grimsby match (and were surprised he didn't start).
kora
If that theory be true, we may not miss George after all.
Shade
kora wrote:If that theory be true, we may not miss George after all.
I don't think we were ever going to miss him in terms of we'd be weaker without him, it's just a shame we won't see him progress with us.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:BT labelled him best left back in the VNL during the Grimsby match (and were surprised he didn't start).
Adam Virgo has again in a tweet, saying it's a loss for FGR. Robbie Savage has also congratulated him on his move...
little mo
Welcome to CTFC young man.
Johnsons Red Army
little mo wrote:Welcome to CTFC young man.
Agreed. Welcome James :) !
London Exile
Decent signing and widely regarded as the best left back in the VNL last season by Adam Virgo and other pundits.
Not a bad start from the Johnson bros
asl
Who was LB in the National League team of the year? Was it him?
Powelly
FGR would beg to differ, seems a solid signing to me though.
Robin
Am I missing something Powelly I understood he was extremely popular there.
mozzo
FGR fans didn't rate Danny Wright last season either!!
Good solid player that bags the odd goal and will improve under Gary Johnson. Good signing.
Uppy
asl wrote:Who was LB in the National League team of the year? Was it him?
Don't think the league had a team of the year.
Powelly
Robin wrote:Am I missing something Powelly I understood he was extremely popular there.
I had a quick read of their forum and they don't even believe that he was the best left back at the club, apparently League 2 will be a too far for JJ. Interestingly before he signed for us there was another thread where they believed he would sign for another conference club, as this is his level.

I personally believe this seems a solid signing. It'll be good competition between Cranston and Jennings.
Robin
Interesting. I just realised he was part of that awful Mansfield side that somehow won 1-0 here a few years back, that was one of the worst football league sides I had ever seen as a collective.
mozzo
Lincoln first and last game of the season reminded me of that Mansfield side. The common denominator being Matt Rhead.
Chris FGR
Problem for him was that he, like Steve Arnold (our keeper) found it difficult to win fans over because he was perceived to be being picked ahead of a fans favourite (Marcus Kelly) solely due to being a Pennock signing.

He was injured for virtually the whole of his first season, but last year became a regular and proved very decent going forward, has a knack of knowing where to be from set pieces and attacks the ball in the air very well.

Defensively he's tenacious but gets caught out of position occasionally, and does tend to dive in a bit at times. Has been a good solid player at both Mansfield and Cambridge and I reckon under a good manager he'll do well. The Johnson's know what their doing with signings,
Shade
Chris FGR wrote:Problem for him was that he, like Steve Arnold (our keeper) found it difficult to win fans over because he was perceived to be being picked ahead of a fans favourite (Marcus Kelly) solely due to being a Pennock signing.

He was injured for virtually the whole of his first season, but last year became a regular and proved very decent going forward, has a knack of knowing where to be from set pieces and attacks the ball in the air very well.

Defensively he's tenacious but gets caught out of position occasionally, and does tend to dive in a bit at times. Has been a good solid player at both Mansfield and Cambridge and I reckon under a good manager he'll do well. The Johnson's know what their doing with signings,
Thanks for setting the record straight. I think our left back will be picked dependent on the game next season, depending on the opposition or opposition right winger.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Powelly wrote:
Robin wrote:Am I missing something Powelly I understood he was extremely popular there.
I had a quick read of their forum and they don't even believe that he was the best left back at the club, apparently League 2 will be a too far for JJ. Interestingly before he signed for us there was another thread where they believed he would sign for another conference club, as this is his level.

I personally believe this seems a solid signing. It'll be good competition between Cranston and Jennings.
I would trust Gary Johnson's opinion more than that of fans on a forum any day.
King giraffe iii
Jennings is a solid fullback and one I rated highly. Suffered at FGR because he isn't called Marcus Kelly. Only real weakness is his occasional habit to get caught out of position when defending a counter.