We will play the tenants.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
July the 23rd at WR.
Robin
I don't know if it's just me but we have a pretty unappealing pre-season fixture list this summer. It's not really meant as a moan, we play all the local park sides and a few clubs higher up the pyramid with no big or attractive sides.

I know pre-season is all about fitness but it would be nice to get a big name down here (ever more difficult now with so many going abroad) or at least play at a few local grounds that we don't visit often (Cinderford, Oxford City, Stourbridge etc.).
Shade
It's just a standard pre-season. Evesham, Bishops Cleeve, both Brizzle's, and 2 other higher division opponents. We're playing 3 League 1 teams and 1 Championship team (from memory). All other teams will have their own local-ish teams they want to play, I'd imagine. I'm surprised Bolton & Barnsley are bothering to come all the way down here, tbh, given there's no money in it for them.
Robin
Barnsley is the only game I am looking forward to right now.
mozzo
What ever happened to our visits to Göttingen? I promised the misses a cultural visit there the next time CTFC travelled there.
Fuller
mozzo wrote:What ever happened to our visits to Göttingen? I promised the misses a cultural visit there the next time CTFC travelled there.
Didn't Neil Grayson get sent off in a friendly over there, and subsequently missed the start of the season over here, in about 2001 ?

I thought I heard the players were given the option to either go away training/playing abroad this pre-season, or go on their jolly to Magaluf, which they did ?
Malabus
Fuller wrote:
mozzo wrote:What ever happened to our visits to Göttingen? I promised the misses a cultural visit there the next time CTFC travelled there.
Didn't Neil Grayson get sent off in a friendly over there, and subsequently missed the start of the season over here, in about 2001 ?

I thought I heard the players were given the option to either go away training/playing abroad this pre-season, or go on their jolly to Magaluf, which they did ?
Neil Grayson was suspended for the first game during one season 2001-2002? Believe it was for a follow up suspension from the season before.
London Exile
Superb fixture, I can try and meet the legend that is Daveangel assuming (1) I'm not busy with a new tenant to the house (2) DA isn't in the Gloucester dugout
Si Robin
Unfortuantely, Dave is out of the country. I too was looking forward to a beer with the man.
Malabus
I won't be the country either.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:I won't be the country either.
Hope you have a romantic time together.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Dave interpretation of 'out of the country' is Wales.

There will be no romance in Barry; even if a LIDL cucumber was involved.
IYWT
Shade wrote:It's just a standard pre-season. Evesham, Bishops Cleeve, both Brizzle's, and 2 other higher division opponents. We're playing 3 League 1 teams and 1 Championship team (from memory). All other teams will have their own local-ish teams they want to play, I'd imagine. I'm surprised Bolton & Barnsley are bothering to come all the way down here, tbh, given there's no money in it for them.
Have Bolton and Barnsley been announced? Can't find anything on the official site
Robin
I thought I saw something about Barnsley playing here as they were heading down to the South West for a training camp. It's the fixture I am most looking forward too as well.
Shade
"The Echo understands that three home friendlies have also been penciled in to the diary.

Gary Johnson will take on son Lee's Bristol City side in what has become another annual friendly, while Lee's former club Barnsley are also scheduled opponents.

The third home game will see the Robins play Bolton Wanderers for the first time."

Nothing been confirmed though, by the looks of it.
Robin
Barnsley is the stand out fixture I guess in terms of league placing, Bolton the biggest name even if they are in league one now.
vickeryc
In terms of league placing, Bristol City is surely the 'stand out fixture' given that they finished in lower mid-table in the Championship last season rather than promoted from League One via the play-offs.
Robin
Good spot Vickery I had forgotten that they stayed up last season.
Daveangel
Malabus wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Dave interpretation of 'out of the country' is Wales.

There will be no romance in Barry; even if a LIDL cucumber was involved.
Little further afield this year Anthony. The Outlaws gaff in the Sierra Nevada's. Still not as exotic as your sojourns!

Never a huge fan of PSF's (but always go if I can) but would have looked forward to a beer with you chaps.

First post for a while.

Thought it best to let the intolerable celebrations and back slapping to subside a tad.

Well done.

Bastards. :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Daveangel wrote:
Little further afield this year Anthony. The Outlaws gaff in the Sierra Nevada's. Still not as exotic as your sojourns!

Never a huge fan of PSF's (but always go if I can) but would have looked forward to a beer with you chaps.

First post for a while.

Thought it best to let the intolerable celebrations and back slapping to subside a tad.

Well done.

Bastards. :)
Your spell in the USA seems to have resulted in incorrect apostrophe use.

Did you have any Sierra Nevada pale ale? Quite enjoy a bottle of that from time to time.
Daveangel
I'm not going until July (When the friendly is on), and they live in Spain.

Don't drink bitter either.

You got me on the apostrophe'ie's though. :)
Malabus
Spain ... full of commoners that either get pregnant the first night or get sun burnt the first day. Nothing like you David :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Daveangel wrote:I'm not going until July (When the friendly is on), and they live in Spain.
The wrong Sierra Nevadas; apologies. I have been to both ranges.

Enjoy the Alhambra!

(and the lager of the same name!)
Shade
I had a great time driving up, down and all around the Sierra Nevada mountains about a year and a half ago. Stunning.

Stay off the Estrella...vile stuff. Can't believe anybody drinks it yet it seems to be the "beer" of choice in a lot of places out there now.

(You can tell there's no club football on...)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I had a great time driving up, down and all around the Sierra Nevada mountains about a year and a half ago. Stunning.

Stay off the Estrella...vile stuff. Can't believe anybody drinks it yet it seems to be the "beer" of choice in a lot of places out there now.

(You can tell there's no club football on...)
I don't mind an Estrella actually, quite like and drink it in the UK too from time to time.
asl
Estrella...bleugh. Off to Portugal in a week or so and looking forward to the Super Bock. I'm not a fan of lager at all, but I don't mind that one. It's difficult to find, but they do quite a reasonable stout, too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Estrella...bleugh. Off to Portugal in a week or so and looking forward to the Super Bock. I'm not a fan of lager at all, but I don't mind that one. It's difficult to find, but they do quite a reasonable stout, too.
Nando's sell it.
asl
Nando's may have just gone up in my estimation, then... Not a fan of that chain, neither. Chicken with piri-piri sauce - big deal. I just don't get the fuss I hear about it.
Sprout Picker
asl wrote:Estrella...bleugh. Off to Portugal in a week or so and looking forward to the Super Bock. I'm not a fan of lager at all, but I don't mind that one. It's difficult to find, but they do quite a reasonable stout, too.
Super Bock a very good drop. Tasted even better when I realised it was only 80 cents a pop! :)
Shade
Super Bock is nice but I personally prefer Sagres. Especially at the bar at the bottom of the cliff with decking out over the Med at Burgau...paradise.
Daveangel
Malabus wrote:Spain ... full of commoners that either get pregnant the first night or get sun burnt the first day. Nothing like you David :)
The only non Spanish family in the village of Los Olivares, so not the Spain most Brits see. Beautiful place, and never ceases to confuse me how you can be floating in a pool in 40 degrees looking at snowtopped mountains!

There better not be anymore pregnancies, but I'm bound to burn! :)