Anyone remember the most random of friendlies in 1990?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Cheltenham Town v Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur (KR Reykjavík)

http://bit.ly/CTFCRV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fuller
Jon Palmer wrote:Cheltenham Town v Knattspyrnufélag Reykjavíkur (KR Reykjavík)

http://bit.ly/CTFCRV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes I was at that game, still got the programme somewhere. There was a rumour going round we were trying to sign Pétur Pétursson, their star man.

Just one name in our team that day I don't recognise - Gary Marshall ? Anyone recall him ?

I was also at the Kuwait friendly back in the '70s.

Whaddon Road looks more like a tip in that top picture. Shows how far we have come.
Malabus
Yes. Was there.
longmover
did we play villa / everton that year as well?
art vandalay
I was also at the game but must point out that the top photo doesn't match the article as it's from the early 80s.
PaulGodfrey
Gary Marshall was a lad from Stroud who played against us for Boston United then came to Whaddon Road but was unable to dislodge Kevin Willetts from left-back and played mostly for the reserves.
The picture in the article dates from around 1982 and things got tidied up considerably following promotion to the Conference/National League for the first time in 1985.
We played Everton in a benefit game for Ray Baverstock and Nick Jordan later that month. Neville Southall played in goal for us, although he wasn't the first former international to guest for us in a friendly. Former Fulham and England striker Johnny Haynes played in a match against Swindon Town in 1972.
Reliant Robin
I was at the KR Reykjavic and Everton games.

I vaguely remember the Reykjavic players mostly all had white/blond hair and were all quite gangly.

The Everton match with Southall guesting in goal for us was an odd game. Southall seemed disgruntled about something and sat in the goalmouth at halftime and didn't go back to the changing room. I think the diminutive Simon Brain scored Cheltenham's winner, sprinting from the half way line Vardy-esq and firing past the Everton keeper from about 20 yards out.
Fuller
I'm sure it was former CTFC man Brett Angell who scored for us in the Everton game, he played as a guest like Neville Southall did ?
He later signed for Everton - perhaps they remembered his goal !
Or perhaps I am wrong ? Anyone who can confirm ?
PaulGodfrey
Simon Brain scored the only goal after 65 minutes. Neville Southall was the only guest player in the Cheltenham team. The Everton team was quite a strong one (Mark Wright, Dave Watson, Norman Whiteside, Tony Cottee)
alwaysarobin
I believe the lad who played in goal for Everton was a young Australian international on trial there.
MacRobin
Remember the Everton game well and being roped into selling raffle tickets for Baver and Jordy's testimonial...

Good times and some great memories of Big Nev in goal...

Also seem to recall being at a home friendly against Wolves with a very young Robbie Keane in their side?! I guess that was around '98.
Fuller
Another friendly I recall was the Southampton game in 1995 - was part of the deal that took Christer Warren to The Saints, Matt Le Tissier was giving us the runaround.

Prior to that 1989 v Sheffield Wednesday, they brought a strong side too.

But must admit I have not been to a pre-season friendly for some 15 years, I think the last time was when we played FGR around 2001 in what was also the County Cup final delayed from the previous season.