Register    Login    Search    FAQ

CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » OTHER FOOTY

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: The Official England World Cup 2018 thread
 Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018, 13:26 

The home of RNF England chat.

Got to be three up top for me. Rashford, Kane, Sterling.

Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: The Official England World Cup 2018 thread
 Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018, 13:56 

I saw Shearer and Jenas pick an XI of Pickford; Walker, Stones, Cahill; Trippier, Rose; Henderson, Alli, Lingard; Sterling, Kane.

I think that formation is good but I would change a couple of players.
Butland over Pickford.

Alexander-Arnold over Trippier. He may be only 19 but he's played in a Champions League run and final which is more than most of the squad, and he's probably the best set-piece taker in the squad.

I'd be tempted to go with Dier or Loftus-Cheek over Lingard, just because I think we look a bit lightweight in the attack and RL-C is built...however, one is too defensive and sideways and the other i's obviously not very experienced. How I wish the Ox was fit.

Rashford over Sterling, just because Sterling is so unproductive for England. Vardy to come on, chewing 'baccy, against, hopefully, tiring defences.

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018, 14:50 

Alli the enigma for me. Not the right man for the front three. But not solid enough for the middle three.

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018, 15:00 

Assuming we go 3-4-3 against the two minor teams:

Pickford;
Walker, Stones, Cahill;
Trippier, Dier, Alli, Rose;
Sterling, Kane, Rashford.

I wouldn't play Lingard AND Alli - but each is a replacement for the other. If we go 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 against Belgium, I'd drop either Rashford or Sterling for Henderson.

All I ask for is that England are *interesting* - if not *exciting* - to watch. In the last few tournaments, we've been as dull as dishwater and about as interesting to watch as drying paint.

And I do NOT want to see Kane taking corners - or free-kicks from the bloody half-way line.

Post Posted: 14 Jun 2018, 16:24 

If we play anything other than 3-5-2 with wing-backs I'd be amazed after the last few games.

Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018, 08:25 

With the other big names being found out in their first games, tonight is a chance for England to lay down a marker, to show we are there to mean business.

Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018, 11:25 

RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
With the other big names being found out in their first games, tonight is a chance for England to lay down a marker, to show we are there to mean business.

I would imagine something similar is being said in Tunisia?
They must see getting something in this game to being the key to reaching the knock out rounds

Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018, 13:16 

leohoenig wrote:

They must see getting something in this game to being the key to reaching the knock out rounds

Let them dream. Should be a regulation England win. Hopefully we do more than that and turn on the fireworks.

Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018, 15:52 

leohoenig wrote:

Let them dream. Should be a regulation England win. Hopefully we do more than that and turn on the fireworks.

Surely regulation wins and England in tournament football is an oxymoron?

Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018, 16:28 

This is RCS who said much the same about various "regulation wins" of Cheltenham Town over the last two seasons. Maidstone, springs to mind.

Luckily, I don't think Southgate nor any England player will underestimate any opposition in this tournament. After all, even Iran won.

Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018, 18:33 

asl wrote:
This is RCS who said much the same about various "regulation wins" of Cheltenham Town over the last two seasons. Maidstone, springs to mind.

Luckily, I don't think Southgate nor any England player will underestimate any opposition in this tournament. After all, even Iran won.

I don’t think they will either, hence a regulation win.

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018, 11:22 

why do we get cheated ? Tunisia penalty was so soft, then Kane gets wrestled to the ground TWICE and nothing, I thought the VR was supposed to be looking at stuff like that!!

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018, 12:08 

Nesty wrote:
why do we get cheated ? Tunisia penalty was so soft, then Kane gets wrestled to the ground TWICE and nothing, I thought the VR was supposed to be looking at stuff like that!!

It is supposed to be and they said before the competition started that they would be clamping down on that type of foul.

Corruption and unwillingness to penalise small players struggling against strong strikers. Same as Denmark vs Peru and Sweden vs South Korea. The smaller sized players were outmuscled by Nordic stature and the referees ruled in favour of the diminutive players more often than not.

Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018, 13:14 

Colombian ref, what do you expect?

Seriously though, the VAR wasn't even looking at replays of Kane as the one that was shown on the VAR picture in picture was focussing on the goalkeeper behind Dele.

Overall, encouraging start, poor finishing, should have had 2 penalties, Sterling just not good enough for England, frustrating as hell in the second half but, for a change, we grabbed the winner instead of another draw. Thank God for a proper World Class Striker at last, not the likes of Rooney who everyone kept saying was world class but never popped up in the right place at the right time in tournaments like Kane did twice last night. If we can get more of those early chances, but to Kane, then there's no reason we can't make the QF's, and then who knows if there is confidence and some others are chipping in with goals as well. Beat Panama on Sunday and we're through (assuming Tunisia don't turn over Belgium). What a nice difference that would be.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Board index » THE NEST » OTHER FOOTY