Our former manager...

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

vickeryc
It was obvious to me that RCS was simply highlighting the crassness of Horlick's 'freedom of speech' point by using extreme language to hammer home the point.
Hubert Parry
... And to me.
Andy
I thought we were supporting RCS with his withdrawal from his obsession to post 1000 times a day. Nothing beats a bit of cold turkey with a suspension :) (although he’s doing well this year)

I knew it was out of character for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Artemis
Except, as you well know RCS, that's personal abuse, not freedom to express an opinion. Trying to brand it hyperbole just doesn't cut it. It's also intellectual arrogance. Not a nice trait in anyone, let alone someone with your level of education.
Lord Elpuz
Debate is what we all enjoy about ‘The Nest’; sometimes it’s “The Magic Roundabout” other times it’s “A Clockwork Orange” and the remainder, not dissimilar to “The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman”.
Fuller
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46831080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnsons Red Army
And to think, some on here said he'd "lost the fire" and he "should just pack it in and retire"!

"Unbeaten in 16 league games under Johnson's tenure, Torquay are two points clear of second-placed Woking in the National League South table.

Johnson's side have scored 62 goals in 22 games in all competitions, in comparison to the record under Owers - just 39 goals in his 46 matches in charge."
Hubert Parry
I don't think many people could argue that Johnson is a very effective impact manager and to me, his success is no surprise to me. Throughout his managerial career, his issue has always been building a structure for the long term and being able to adapt his methods when the initial impact has worn off.
Shade
He didn't have a great impact when he came in here - he couldn't save us. I doubt Ferguson or Guardiola could have though with the shower of shite that we had.
hand_shandy
Johnsons Red Army wrote:And to think, some on here said he'd "lost the fire" and he "should just pack it in and retire"!

"Unbeaten in 16 league games under Johnson's tenure, Torquay are two points clear of second-placed Woking in the National League South table.

Johnson's side have scored 62 goals in 22 games in all competitions, in comparison to the record under Owers - just 39 goals in his 46 matches in charge."
He's found his level - OK as long as stays non League.
vickeryc
hand_shandy wrote:
Johnsons Red Army wrote:And to think, some on here said he'd "lost the fire" and he "should just pack it in and retire"!

He's found his level - OK as long as stays non League.
Didnt he take Yeovil from L2 to the Championship though?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Torquay finally defeated again today; by a future Cheltenham manager. Jerry Gill’s Bath City consolidating third spot and now only four points off top spot.

If Duff does take us down, do we turn to Jerry to bring us back up?
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
If Duff does take us down, do we turn to Jerry to bring us back up?
No.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Torquay 5-0 up at half time today.

Having got a worse result against Tranmere and Carlisle than Johnson did, Duff looking on course for doing the same today as well.

As it stands head to head.

Crawley, Tranmere, Carlisle, Macclesfield.

Johnson: 1 point, GD -3

Duff: 0 points, GD -7
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes!

RCS 1-0 Fate.

I tempted Fate with my above post and fate took the bait.

Great comeback by Duffo’s boys.
Alf
Duffy won’t take us down. He is building a team and it takes time.
paperboy
….wonder where they got this idea from?

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/footbal ... er-2518457" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Look at those scenes behind the goal. A club well and truly FL bound.
Ihearye
Surely this thread should be title "one of our former mnagers? What he does in torquay is of little importance to me. CTFc has MD as our manager and he is doing a good job. Unlike one of our former managers
Hubert Parry
So why click and comment on the thread? I happen to be very interested in what our former manager is doing and I'm pleased he is having the same impact at Torquay as he did with us. I would call regaining our football league status at the first attempt as champions as being a good job.
Johnsons Red Army
Same.

Not all of us here were calling for his head after only 4 games (or even earlier for some!), so some of us still have an interest in how he fares at his new club.
Nesty
Johnsons Red Army wrote:Same.

Not all of us here were calling for his head after only 4 games (or even earlier for some!), so some of us still have an interest in how he fares at his new club.
it was maybe 4 games from this season but add that to the last 20 odd from last season. I am pleased he is doing well at Torquay
Del Boy
Funny how when Gloucester City is mentioned there are plenty of references to 'park football' but none when referring to Torquay in the same division.
Ihearye
Hubert Parry wrote:So why click and comment on the thread? I happen to be very interested in what our former manager is doing and I'm pleased he is having the same impact at Torquay as he did with us. I would call regaining our football league status at the first attempt as champions as being a good job.
How remiss of me to overlook the rule, in the HP rule book on commenting. You must only comment on a thread that you agree with and then only if you are intent on reafirming the original post. That way we can kiss eachothers @ass, routinely. Just a point of note, yet again, saying he is our former manager. Insinuates that we have only then had two managers. GJ and now MD. It does a great diservice to those that achieved a lot more than one good season. A season wherre we were the big fish, full time and a handout for being relegated. Maybe I could suggest, it wasn't the greatest upset in non league football?
Yes he did a good job, but the continued adulation as if he is the Messiah, is a bit laughable IMHO
My apologises if you believe I am not able to air such views, but there you go
Hubert Parry
What on earth are you on about? Your first post stated that what GJ does is of "little importance" to you. You were fully aware that this thread is about GJ but rather than add constructively to the debate or discussion, you opted to write a petulant post instead. Nothing I said prevented you or anyone from airing an opinion positive or negative about GJ. Further, GJ is a former manager and our most recent former (permanent) manager, so there nothing remotely incorrect about the thread title. If you want to talk about Michael Duff or any other manager from the club's history, feel free to start your own thread and other posters can read and comment if they are interested in doing so.
Shade
Jesus. Look, he's a former manager of CTFC and therefore we have the right to talk about him in this thread. There's not really a lot else that needs to be said on the matter.

Yates finally got the first game of his second spell at Kidderminster at the weekend after postponements, they won 4-1.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Two ex-Robins, Asa and Jake Andrews, both scoring in another regulation 4-1 away win for the relentless Gulls on Tuesday night. Since losing in early September under their previous manager Torquay have only lost one league game - to Jerry Gill’s Bath City. Torquay have also scored at least two goals in every league game since that September loss.

Stoz and Wrighty have that Champions feeling again after Tuesday night: Solihull Moors went top of the league. The Moors now just seven places below Cheltenham.
Lord Elpuz
I see comparisons with Sir Winston Churchill’s treatment by the public at the end of WWII, in the way Gary Johnson was evicted from CTFC. Both made sure their followers were saved in their desperate hour of need, only to be discarded at the earliest opportunity afterwards.

Duff is doing a decent job, but his hands will be tied in the same way that Johnson’s were in terms of recruitment. Managers at this level know that they need to generate much of the transfer kitty themselves, unless they’re fortunate to have a sugar daddy on The Board - but that doesn’t always endure. The coming summer is going to be an interesting challenge again.

Football is a ruthless business because of public expectation ... but the public won’t by into something that doesn’t continuously massage their shallow egos.
Fuller
Just seen this. Imagine you made a 500 mile round trip in midweek for nothing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47467185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:Just seen this. Imagine you made a 500 mile round trip in midweek for nothing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47467185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Time for technology. If refs won’t visit the ground then some high resolution video of the ball bouncing and rolling streamed to a remote ref or sensors in the ground measuring water content and softness.
Shade
Pretty sure a brief recorded video uploaded to YouTube should be sufficient. If there's any thought of a club doing it to get out of a match they don't want to play due to injuries, etc, then a quick check of the weather forecast should back up whether they're lying or not.
Nesty
d day on 6th April when Woking host Torquay
paperboy
Nesty wrote:d day on 6th April when Woking host Torquay
Staying on the weather theme I remember driving down to Woking through pouring rain only for the match to be postponed when we were nearing the ground.
Si Robin
I remember going to Woking only for it to be called off due to fog just after half-time.

LDV Vans Trophy game if I remember correctly.
asl
I was there, too. One of our players sent a cross into the box from just in front of us. Nobody could see where it went and the guy who crossed it (I forget who) just turned to us and shrugged his shoulders. The ref called it a day a few minutes later.