Bottom, top ..... and middle

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
In our 18 years as a league club, have we ever had a season where we were an average mid table team all season ?

Most of the time I recall we have either been challenging near the top or play-offs, or somewhere near the bottom looking, over our shoulders.

Perhaps 2004/05 as Wardy rebuilt ? Or 2010/11 when Yatesy rebuilt, and 2013/14 maybe, although that took a few a late season results to keep us clear ?

Does that show where we are now as a club, certainly the last five FL seasons have been a struggle.

But given a bit of time and some money, hopefully Duffo can turn that around.
Shade
We've finished around 14th a few times under Ward and Yates as you mention. From what I can remember those seasons were pretty dull affairs where we weren't in danger of going up or down.

Just having a look back at the seasons on Soccerbase and I'd forgotten it wasn't until 24th November, v Newport County, that we got our first home league win of the season...and now we've had 8 wins and only lost 1
Robin
We had one season under SC of mid-table largely due to injuries then got promoted the one after. Under John Ward we had two very boring 14th place finishes and I recall crowds dropped accordingly. Not sure if you count last season under GJ as lower mid-table as we were never seriously in the scrap.

Can't think of too many others though, three struggles under Yates, two under GJ and this one under Duff.
Si Robin
In 00/01 we were in and around the playoffs all season, and it was only 44th game of the season that we were ruled out - eventually finishing 4 points shy in 9th place.

Our only truly mid-table season from start to finish since I started watching is probably the 04/05 season under John Ward. We were never in any danger and never looked like making the playoffs either.

Under Yates in 10/11 we started like a train and were in the playoffs at the turn of the year, but a disastrous second half of the season saw us stave off relegation at Easter. Every other season has been either a relegation battle or push for the playoffs.
Ben3
Yep - some seasons we get more points than others!

Some weeks we score more goals than the opposition. Some weeks we score less, and sometines we get exactly the same number of goals!! It’s a draw!!!!

Is this the most pointless thread in robins nest history?

Bonkers
longmover
just to add CTFC (last season) were the very first team in all four leagues to be in a position to not be relegated and not to be able to reach the playoffs. you cant get any more middle of the road than that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote:just to add CTFC (last season) were the very first team in all four leagues to be in a position to not be relegated and not to be able to reach the playoffs. you cant get any more middle of the road than that.
Great stat!